Munsterlander people

CDN_Cocker

Munsterlander people

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:11 am

Hey guys my little SM girl is coming up on 4 months now and starting to get some legs on her. I haven't really done much training with her yet other than normal puppy house manners. I don't plan to be hunting over her this season as she is so young and I have no need to rush anything since my ECS is still hunting hard (he's almost 10). One thing I've found is there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of munsty info out there. I've only hunted over 3 different SMs, 1 being my dog's dam, and all 3 had very high prey drive... only 1 I wasn't overly impressed with but I could tell a lot of the problem was a lack of training. Anyways, would love to hear from anyone who hunts or has hunted with them and what your experiences are with hunting, training, basically anything. Thanks guys

Steve007

Re: Munsterlander people

Post by Steve007 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:06 am

The Small Munsterlander is an aspiring American Kennel Club breed, now listed as a Foundation Stock Service breed (formerly Miscellaneous class). That means there is a breed club. I would look them up and join the breed club. Don't just read stuff. Join the breed club. These are people seriously committed to the breed and to disseminating valid information about it. Given the small numbers of the breed, it is a fair statement to say that almost all members hunt. I have owned and been seriously involved in three different breeds, have always joined the breed club and have benefited greatly. You will as well.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:08 am

I had never heard of them. Looks like a spaniel. Good looking dogs. Are they flushers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:10 am

RatDog wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:08 am
I had never heard of them. Looks like a spaniel. Good looking dogs. Are they flushers?

No. Pointing dogs

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:11 am

Cool

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:14 pm

You might want to look on u tube for smallmunster(all one word) videos. He hunts a lot and has a lot of hunting videos on utube of the 2021 iowa season. He usually hunts at least 3 or4 small munsterlanders at a time. His dogs hold point forever until he gets there, but go when the birds get up. It seems like they all retreive to hand pretty well. I like watching his videos because he gets his dogs into A LOT of birds. :D

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:11 pm

I've seen a few of his! They definitely are great videos! The majority of the stuff I watch isn't breed specific but I am interested in seeing more munsty specific stuff.