Gunner Kennels

RatDog

Gunner Kennels

Post by RatDog » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:16 am

I put in the stats for an average size GSP and the website recommended an intermediate size kennel. Reading some reviews that say the size they recommend is pretty tight for safety considerations. Looking at some pics it looks small, like not big enough for the dog to turn around in. Thinking I’d be better off with the large one? I care most about the dog’s comfort on long hauls.

Anyone have one of these? Any input on sizing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Re: Gunner Kennels

Post by Garrison » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:18 am

RatDog,

I don’t know the sizes of the Gunner kennels specifically, but I currently have an aluminum dog box in my Excursion and two Ruff Land kennels in my SUV. The Ruff Land are their intermediate size and a 65lb GSP has plenty of room in it, I wouldn’t want one any larger. The aluminum box is about the same foot print and even a bit shorter and a 65lb GSP still has plenty of room. I am sure their website has interior dimensions for comparison to the Gunner. As said, no experience with the Gunner, but the Ruff Land is a simple, high quality, long lasting product, and the Mud River covers fit them well. Worth a look.

You want the box on the tighter side so they have enough room to get in turn around and lay down. It also needs to be small enough to trap heat in the winter, if it is going to be in the back of a truck. When a dog gets in and curls up, they use a lot less real estate than you would think.

Garrison

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:41 pm

Garrison wrote:RatDog,

I don’t know the sizes of the Gunner kennels specifically, but I currently have an aluminum dog box in my Excursion and two Ruff Land kennels in my SUV. The Ruff Land are their intermediate size and a 65lb GSP has plenty of room in it, I wouldn’t want one any larger. The aluminum box is about the same foot print and even a bit shorter and a 65lb GSP still has plenty of room. I am sure their website has interior dimensions for comparison to the Gunner. As said, no experience with the Gunner, but the Ruff Land is a simple, high quality, long lasting product, and the Mud River covers fit them well. Worth a look.

You want the box on the tighter side so they have enough room to get in turn around and lay down. It also needs to be small enough to trap heat in the winter, if it is going to be in the back of a truck. When a dog gets in and curls up, they use a lot less real estate than you would think.

Garrison
That’s super helpful, thanks! The Gunner is crazy expensive. I like the looks of the Ruff Land and it’s half the price. I’ll probably go with an intermediate size one of those.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:46 pm

One thing that I like about the Ruff Land is the door is very easily taken off. If I put the mud river cover on it and leave it unzipped, it can double as a make shift dog house when we are in camp.

Garrison

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:37 pm

Cool. I just ordered it with tie down brackets, Mud River cover and Pad. Thanks again for the good word!

Chemist

Post by Chemist » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:24 pm

I realize you made your order, but I will offer confirmation that you made a good choice. I too have the intermediate ruffland, and it fits my 74 pound GSP perfectly. Fits in the backseat of my buddies 4 door f150 as well.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:02 pm

Chemist wrote:I realize you made your order, but I will offer confirmation that you made a good choice. I too have the intermediate ruffland, and it fits my 74 pound GSP perfectly. Fits in the backseat of my buddies 4 door f150 as well.
Thanks man! Always good to have some reassurance you made a good choice. That’s a big shorthair!

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:06 pm

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202210 ... 30bf28.jpg[/IMG]
Showed up today. Looks like a quality product. Gonna have her sleep in it for a while to get used to it.

ex28

Post by ex28 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:16 pm

I have both the Ruff Land and Gunner intermediate kennels. I highly recommend the Gunner over the Ruff Land if you can afford it. It's on a different level build wise and I enjoy the peace of mind knowing my dogs safe if something were to happen. My 57lb GSP fits in the intermediate perfectly. Overall it's larger than the Ruff Land and the interior is pretty comparable.