This puppy is AWESOME!

RatDog

This puppy is AWESOME!

Post by RatDog » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:48 am

Picked up the hound a few days ago and it has been so much fun!!! Night and day from my last dog. Everything with Tubbs was such a struggle. He would just sit in the crate and howl all night. House breaking was a nightmare. He was very skittish and unfriendly.

This dog, we call her Nelly, couldn’t be more different. She already sleeps through most of the night in her crate, she’s very affectionate and fun with the kids. I have no idea how she’ll be as a bird dog of course, but as a house dog she’s been really great so far.

My older son who is 9 is growing very attached to her and they spend hours in the yard messing around. Really fun to see them bond like that. Guess it’s time to break out the single shot .410 and teach someone how to bust clays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RatDog

Re: This puppy is AWESOME!

Post by RatDog » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:48 am

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:49 am

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:10 am

Those are great pics. :) Don't rush things.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:22 am

Sharon wrote:Those are great pics. :) Don't rush things.
Thanks Sharon! Good advice. As a family we re-watched the Ronnie Smith puppy video. Just trying to have everyone on the same page about not picking her up if she’s jumping on your or putting her down until she is still, not letting her out of the crate until she is calm and quiet etc. I have a drag line on her during the day when we are around her. That’ll be about it for a while. Maybe start doing to some very basic table work just trying to get her to stand still soon.

I am going to spend a day with the trainer next week and go over some things so hopefully that’s helpful. Exciting times!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:22 am

Best wishes for a long and happy life with Nelly. Looks like you're off to a great start.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:50 am

shags wrote:Best wishes for a long and happy life with Nelly. Looks like you're off to a great start.
Thanks!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:17 pm

RatDog wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:22 am
Sharon wrote:Those are great pics. :) Don't rush things.
Thanks Sharon! Good advice. As a family we re-watched the Ronnie Smith puppy video. Just trying to have everyone on the same page about not picking her up if she’s jumping on your or putting her down until she is still, not letting her out of the crate until she is calm and quiet etc. I have a drag line on her during the day when we are around her. That’ll be about it for a while. Maybe start doing to some very basic table work just trying to get her to stand still soon.

I am going to spend a day with the trainer next week and go over some things so hopefully that’s helpful. Exciting times!

One of the most important things is to have a dog come when called. I start that at puppy age. No one should call pup unless they are going to get up and get pup if she/he doesn't come. It will pay off big time in the future.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett