Interesting crossbreed

fishvik

Interesting crossbreed

Post by fishvik » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:18 am

I was wandering through our local farmers market and saw a dog that looked like my Puck. It turned out that it was the same cross, Lab X German Wirehaired Pointer. It was also another male. Their dog had the same wire coat, long tail, beard and eyebrows and was mostly black with some white on the paws. He also had a similar personality according to the owners to my Puck; calm, friendly, not the least bit aggressive and a pointer and good retriever. Anybody else have this cross and what are your experiences?

Dakotazeb

Re: Interesting crossbreed

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:29 am

Check out this web site:

http://wesslpointer.com/

WesselPointer is a GSP/Lab cross

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:54 pm

I’ve been curious about this exact thing. Wondering if anyone bred for traits or behaviors regardless of breed and what would happen? If you had a mutt mixed up of britts, setters, pointers etc. would it still be a good bird dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EP222

Post by EP222 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:28 pm

I would love to have a wirehaired/english pointer mut. I think it would probably be a healthy dog. Muts always seem to live a long time.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:15 pm

Breeders and trainers have spent countless years conscientiously developing great breeds of dog's geared to do a specific job. I think it's sad that people jump on these curs, pay big bucks for them, and laud how great they are. Generally when you cross breed two dog's, the very traits those dog's possess are lessened by the cross breeding. For instance in a lab-pointer cross, the retrieve instinct and propensity for rote work is lessened. The pointer will have his pointing instinct lessened. It's a terrible idea, a threat to the great animals we have today, a pollution of the genetic pool they both come from. No matter what fancy names you give them and how much you pay, they're curs, mutts of the highest order.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:49 am

Exactly!!! A giant step backwards.
I had a GSP X Springer. She was a good flusher and a very nice family dog. But I certainly would not breed them intentionally.
The same thing goes for all the Doodles. Dogs regress toward the mean and it is a constant battle to breed better dogs. Crossbreeding is for sure not the way to go.........Cj

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:23 am

Times 2....

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:39 am

I take it you boys haven’t hunted over any $3,000 Silver Pointing Labradoodles lately? 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

Have you ever noticed those who steer clear of field bred dogs because of fear of them not being good family dogs, always seem to end up with an 80lb animal that is completely out of control, regardless of the genetic cocktail? Also a bit odd how all the adds I have seen tout AKC registration of part of the breeding.

That said on the intentional front. Accidents do happen, and I am glad there are folks out their happy to give them a good home.

Garrison