Once more unto the breach dear friends!

RatDog

Once more unto the breach dear friends!

Post by RatDog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:07 pm

Last dog didn’t work out. No interest in trying to figure out what was up with that. Was pretty unfortunate for myself and the family since it was a house dog as well so had to take some time but man I really missed chasing birds this fall. Spoke with the fam and they seem into trying again, or at least willing to tolerate it in my wife’s case I have a couple of litters I’m looking at and was hoping to get some feedback on pedigrees? One is a GSP litter here in MT out of a John Edwards sire. Owner of the dam isn’t a breeder but seems like a nice dog. The other is a pointer litter from Tyler Biggs in OR. Any GSP or Pointer folks who could take a gander?

Couple of other questions:

Was thinking it might be better to get two puppies so they can keep each other company, play with each other? Is that how that works like with kids or not so much?

If you do get two dogs what’s the conventional wisdom about who gets along best gender wise? Figured two males might not be a good idea…

I can’t go look at the litter in OR. Any advice on how to purchase a dog remotely? How do you be sure you don’t end up with the runt or is that even a bad thing?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Once more unto the breach dear friends!

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:28 pm

Two puppies? Double the work/training , double the money and they may bond with each other and not with you. Plus speaking as a woman , you risk putting your wife over the edge. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Post by mask » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:51 pm

My grand dad had a saying. One kid is a hand two kids are a half of a hand and three kids is no hand at all. Two pups is one to many.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:11 pm

First, remember the old saying beware the man shooting one gun and having one dog. Second try and space your dogs about seven years apart so you have one coming and one going. Two at the same time made look make little sense at all.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:17 pm

2 puppies dumb idea. Got it. Thanks!

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:20 pm

What about the pedigrees? I’m pretty confident they’re both good litters but just a bunch of names on paper to me, no idea what they mean. Maybe that’d help me pick between the two?

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:25 pm

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:27 pm

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202207 ... 83a600.jpg[/IMG]

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:27 pm

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:45 pm

Unless you post the pedigrees or post the titles on the dogs, people can't help you out. In American Field pedigrees you look for ch(field title) in front of the dog's names. In AKC pedigrees you look for FC or AFC titles(field trial dog title)in front of the dog's names or JH, SH, or MH (hunt test titles) behind the dog's names. Navhda dogs & shoot to retreive dogs will also earn titles but those won't appear on AKC pedigrees. Ch on an AKC pedigree is a show dog title. Have you seen the parents hunt or work birds?? If you haven't seen the parents hunt or if the pedigrees don't have titles--you are taking a chance on the pup. JMO

I'm adding this after you posted the pointer pedigree. The pointer pedigree has Hall of Fame dogs, National Champs, field champs, and some shoot to retrieve champs in it. The pups will have a lot of field experience in their back round, but might be a little high powered for an average hunter--I'd pick a middle of the road pup out of this litter if you haven't seen the parents work. I'd probably stay away from a real dominate pup out of this litter unless you are an experienced trainer. JMO :D

I'm adding this after looking at the shorthair pedigrees. Between the 2 shorthair pedigrees there is only 1 field titled dog(a FC way back in the pedigree & no hunt test titles in either pedigree). I would definatly watch the parents hunt to make sure they hunt the way you want before getting a pup out of this litter. JMO

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:00 pm

Maybe a well started or finished dog would be a better fit for your situation. Your family won’t love the dog any less, and probably more when the trials and tribulations of bird dog puppies are in the rearview mirror.

Agree with the others, two pups is not a good idea.

Garrison

12oclocktial

Post by 12oclocktial » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:56 am

Crosswind Truckin Fritz was at one time the winningest Shorthair in NSTRA history. AKC does not put NSTRA titles on pedigrees so you have to look them up differently. Fritz is 3rd gen on one of the pedigrees. After you get much further than that, its pretty diluted. Fritz was 100% bird dog.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:59 am

I don't know anything about gsp but the pointer pedigree looks good. I would pick a pup from the parents with the best feet no matter the breed.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:42 pm

Thanks for checking them out! Went with a female from the GSP litter. Spoke to the owner of the sire and he was pretty familiar with the dam’s lineage. Lots of trial success on both sides in NSTRA. Best I could gather from asking around they are both really nice litters. I like the idea of being able to go and pick for myself. I am first in line and there’s 3 girls. Let’s gooooo! I’m back in business

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:49 pm

Totally agree about the started/finished dog idea. My experience was that it’s easier said than done. I went and looked at two. Washouts from trial or guide strings. I’m no expert but I wasn’t super impressed and they were crazy expensive, one was $4500. My understanding is the economics of training and then selling a really good dog just don’t work, if the dog is for sale it’s for a reason.

Just have to get through the first year with the puppy, how bad can it be

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:50 pm

Post some pictures when you get your pup. :D

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:52 pm

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202207 ... 444b7e.jpg[/IMG]

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:57 pm

deseeker wrote:Post some pictures when you get your pup. :D
Oh for sure!