Advice for gun dogs with chickens?

Trrrroy

Advice for gun dogs with chickens?

Post by Trrrroy » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:48 pm

Any advice for gun dog owners with chickens? Is there good way to train them to differentiate between game birds and chickens? I typically free range my chickens and would like to continue to do so but am thinking this probably won't be possible. I'll be getting my first bird dog this next spring and want to make sure I don't screw anything up. Thanks.

CDN_Cocker

Re: Advice for gun dogs with chickens?

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:39 am

Absolutely. Use your e-collar to proof behavior. My cocker is bird crazy but he knows to leave the ducks/chickens and the hawk alone.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:08 am

At our kennel, we had a long, low fence to keep the ducks in and offer the Banties refuge. The fence was only 2-3 feet high. The chickens just flew over it and the dog's stopped at it. No problem.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:04 pm

I taught my setter when she was a pup. She was pointing one of the chickens when I got her as a pup and then she started chasing them too. (Now maybe this isn't the best way to teach, but it worked pretty well...) One day when she was little she was chasing the chickens so I picked up the big, scary rooster and threw it at her. She mostly left the chickens alone after that. It didn't affect her desire for any wild birds or pigeons.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:48 pm

You were lucky. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:06 pm

Sharon wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:48 pm
You were lucky. :)
:lol: :lol: :wink:

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:33 pm

I probably was! :lol: :lol:

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:19 pm

I've had all sorts of poultry and all my dogs know to leave them alone. That hasn't stopped the gun dogs from doing a good job on pheasants, quail, and dove. Their nose has no problem differentiating one from the other. They can also easily tell the difference between my ducks and geese and wild mallards. It seems that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is not always the same duck and the dog can tell the difference.

Just be aware that they can also tell the difference between your chickens and the neighbor's chickens and just because yours are safe does not guarantee safety for the neighbor's chickens (or cat).

If you start from day one, when the pup is small enough that you can easily catch him, and tell him that the poultry is a big no, they catch on quickly and leave the birds alone. it isn't necessary to make it a harsh lesson. It helps if there are older dogs who ignore the birds. they learn from copying the adults.

For an adult dog who already chases, a shock collar and a calm voice will get the message across quickly and easily.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:50 am

Have had chicken for aa long long time and never a problem with the dog's. I start them out around chickens going out with me to do chore's while they are just puppy's. Seem to learn real fast not to fool with them. Sometime's not paying attention and Sis or Snicker will get left in the chicken coop for a bit with them. They never bother them. There is a down side. Someone brings over adult dogs and the chickens aren't afraid of them. Someone coming over here has to let me know before hand so I can pen the chickens up.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:41 am

Two of our three neighbors have had all their chickens killed by the third neighbor's shepherd and cattle dog. Our 3 acres is fenced and we have relatively little issues with wandering dogs. Anyway, we are caught in the middle as we still talk with all the neighbors. Quite the hard feelings exist in this semi-rural area. I have offered to "deter" the chicken killer with my ecollars and probably will do my dogs at the same time. Opportunity has not come up yet.

What is y 'all's feelings on responsibilities of the offending dog's owner. I think he needs to do a better job on containment and actually pay for the chickens but I am a city boy. Not sure that plays out with the general populous of this little town. There is a leash law but the dog catcher only works 2 days a week. The dogs/cats seem to run rampant in the area -- he feels things are well under control. I would not blame the neighbors or shooting the dog when it happens again. Opinions?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:29 pm

I believe we are responsible for any damage our dogs do if they are allowed to roam. I guess even if they accidentally get loose. I think that is going to be the case about anywhere you go. Mine would kill a chicken given the opportunity, I have never had a reason to train them not to. Growing up everybody had chickens and dogs. they all seemed to coexist........Cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:02 am

BigTub wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:41 am
Two of our three neighbors have had all their chickens killed by the third neighbor's shepherd and cattle dog. Our 3 acres is fenced and we have relatively little issues with wandering dogs. Anyway, we are caught in the middle as we still talk with all the neighbors. Quite the hard feelings exist in this semi-rural area. I have offered to "deter" the chicken killer with my ecollars and probably will do my dogs at the same time. Opportunity has not come up yet.

What is y 'all's feelings on responsibilities of the offending dog's owner. I think he needs to do a better job on containment and actually pay for the chickens but I am a city boy. Not sure that plays out with the general populous of this little town. There is a leash law but the dog catcher only works 2 days a week. The dogs/cats seem to run rampant in the area -- he feels things are well under control. I would not blame the neighbors or shooting the dog when it happens again. Opinions?
The answer to this one is pretty simple, I think. The neighbor whos chickens were killed needs to do three things. First, they need to report the occurrence to the authorities. Second they need to send the owner of the dog a bill fot he dead chickens and for any other losses, like reduction of egg production, if applicable. Third, they need to send the owner of the dog a certified letter stating that future trespass by the dog will not be tolerated.

Personally, if I had a wandering dog doing depredation on my property and the owner failed tocorect the situation, I would capture it when it was on my property, transport it at least 50 miles away, ideally across the state line, and surrender it to a shelter. It ain't the dog's fault...the fault lies with the owner.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:31 am

Keep in mind when taking very young puppy's around chicken's. Far better than a shock from a collar is a peck from a chicken. Pup's learn real fast how to avoid the peck! Imagine if every bird your dog pointed walked over to the dog and pecked it. Wouldn't take to long and your dog would quit pointing birds!

I raised some chicks in my bathroom one time and my old Squirt would go in there and baby sit them. He really enjoyed giving giving them a bath!