Surprising swim

BlessedGirl

Surprising swim

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:10 pm

I took my two dogs to the reservoir the other night. A while after I coaxed my setter to swim a short distance, she suddenly took off towards the middle of the lake. It was pretty surprising. I had to call her back before she went too far. Haven't figured out what got into her but I'm glad she likes the water anyway.😄
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deseeker

Re: Surprising swim

Post by deseeker » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:47 am

If she retrieves on land, now your set to do water retrieves with her :D

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:38 pm

Nice looking pup. Nice looking water too. Perfect for your dogs.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:13 pm

deseeker wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:47 am
If she retrieves on land, now your set to do water retrieves with her :D
That sounds like fun! I think I'm going to teach her to do water retrieves. Then maybe I can bring her goose hunting. :lol:

molotov_birddogs

Post by molotov_birddogs » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:01 pm

Thats awsome, my gsp did the same thing in a lake, in JANUARY!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:58 pm

My setter did the same thing. Ignored me and went all the way across the pond ( as big as yours looks like) to check out the far shore for birds. Then she swam all the way back. My heart was in my throat.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:12 am

Yikes! Wow, Sharon, that would have me a bit scared. Not for sure, but the reservoir we were in was probably 1/4-1/2 mile across. Thankfully we had a couple kayaks out so even if my dog had ignored me she still wouldn't be able to go too far. I might have first tried swimming after her if she ignored me...but I guess I don't know who can swim faster!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:50 am

She is looking good, keep at it! Independence and boldness are a good thing. I foresee/looking forward to hearing about a really fun fall for you both this year.

Garrison

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:01 am

Thanks! I love this more and more all the time. I'm excited for our first season.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:42 pm

She is a pretty girl! I found that even dogs that shy away from the water in the begining, they fall in once then ya can't keep them out of it. Used to dump my dogs in the horse water trough when I was done working them. They all got to where when we were done and I headed to the barn they'd run ahead and jump in the trough!

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:05 pm

Yep! When it's hot they just can't resist! On hot days after I train with Indy, she jumps in the creek by the hayfield and goes swimming. Then she's all ready to go again. She figured out that the water is her friend, so now she likes to jump in the lake and try catch geese.😳

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:37 pm

My 2 yo GWP loves to swim. She took 2 forays into the Resv. today. She also loves to chase geese. She has a very high prey drive which is great when she's chasing down crippled waterfowl, not so great when she's chasing geese. Usually she's at it for at least 15 minutes with no interest in obeying a come command or whistle. Time for a little e-collar tuning.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:44 am

Don't remind me. :)

Had a dog that took after geese in the middle of an AF trial. She hadn't seen them before. "Pick up your dog please."
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:25 pm

fishvik wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:37 pm
My 2 yo GWP loves to swim. She took 2 forays into the Resv. today. She also loves to chase geese. She has a very high prey drive which is great when she's chasing down crippled waterfowl, not so great when she's chasing geese. Usually she's at it for at least 15 minutes with no interest in obeying a come command or whistle. Time for a little e-collar tuning.
I've had geese turn on a dog, come right at them, climb on their backs and peck their heads. Nasty buggers or can be.