Gsp terrified of thunder storms

molotov_birddogs

Gsp terrified of thunder storms

Post by molotov_birddogs » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 am

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has had this problem and how they delt with it.

So my 2 year old gsp is TERRIFIED of thunder storms. He cries and shakes like crazy then he starts panting really bad. He also darts whenever there's lightning. He tries to find a dark spot to go but then he can't get comfortable. Today it's particular bad. Yesterday we had a storm and I was able to cover him up and he relaxed, but today he's so worked up and is crying at every closed door. I tried to give him a bone or treat but he won't eat anything.

I know animals have a natural fear of thunder and lightning, but how do I get him to relax more and be less afraid? He's also terrified of fireworks.

Will this affect his ability to be gun broke?

gypsy

Re: Gsp terrified of thunder storms

Post by gypsy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:54 am

My neighbor uses a compression vest on her dog. Seems to work.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:55 am

Very common. Not much you can do except for using sedating meds when you know a storm is coming, or try Gypsy's suggestion. Talk to your vet. Tomorrow is Canada Day here so there will be lots of fireworks here. My dog won't like it either.
If the gun is introduced properly everything should go fine.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Baileysmom

Post by Baileysmom » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:36 am

Hi Dayla, I can sure sympathize. My Sister's German Shepherd was like that, one 4th of July he broke his chain when he was let out for a few minutes and was clear gone. Sis called me in a panic, I went over and drove around the area trying to help her find him. Luckily I was low on gas so went to hop on the interstate by the town to go buy some, and low and behold, there he was walking up the ramp towards the interstate. Boy that could have turned out bad. Years later I heard of "desensitization" by playing a recording of thunder and fireworks softly in the background, then slowly increasing the volume a bit over time so that it becomes a normal sound. Don't know if it works, but might be worth a try. I don't think it's an unusual problem, Mom had a Border Collie that used to hide in the corner of the closet during storms, my boss had a Lab mix he had to lightly sedate on stormy days when he was gone.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 am

Here is a link to a review of the five best "thunder shirts," with explanation of what they are and why they work. There are quite a few people who use these and get good results. No reason for your dog to be terrified if there is an easy solution.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/bes ... -your-dog/

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:02 am

Thundershirt, and if you have any advance warning, a tranq from your vet. A half dose of trazodone was just the ticket for our old girl; she could eat and drink and get around just fine, but was drowsy and chill enough to snooze or just not care about the noise.