Anyone been to a Ronnie Smith seminar?

BlessedGirl

Anyone been to a Ronnie Smith seminar?

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:34 pm

He's going to hold one in OR this August. I want to attend, but I could only be there one day. Do you think it would be worth the $395 for one day? I really want to learn more. This one is the Foundation seminar.

Tenderfoot

Re: Anyone been to a Ronnie Smith seminar?

Post by Tenderfoot » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:45 am

I have not but I’m also considering the seminar in Oregon

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:10 am

Definitely great seminars put on by the Smiths.I went to one in ON once and learned a lot! However, that is big bucks imo for one day.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Post by mask » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:22 am

While I don't go along with some of their training methods you will still learn some things that may work for you and it can help with specific problems. Remember they are in it for the money so you may want to ask for the one day discount. A couple of hundred is better than nothing and they will be there anyway. Best to you and yours and thank you again for the nice fathers day message.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:38 am

It sounds like somewhere I want to be. :) Thanks for the tips, mask. I didn't think of that. I'll have to ask about a discount or something.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:16 pm

For me it would depend on which day you are able to attend. I went to a Smith seminar a while back and it was worth every penny. Some of what they teach=do wasn't up my alley, but overall it was great.
On Friday evening there was a loose sort of get together with attendees, no dogs.
Saturday was a huge day. There was a lot to do and learn. Just watching other people with their dogs, there is a ton of learning how and how not to get the results you want.
Sunday also was busy, but the focus was more on the stuff I didn't care much about, like using a force fetch table and teaching quartering on a check cord. Again, being around all the other handlers was an education in itself.
Both days we were all free to ask questions, get some hands on one on one time, and observe.
If it were my choice, I'd hold off until both days were possible. But if you're set on going, it seemed to me Saturday was the big day. I don't think the Sunday session alone would be worth all that money. But maybe things have changed, IDK. Maybe you can call and ask what goes on each day, so you can decide.
Good luck...if you go, have fun. It's a birddogger's blast.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:25 am

Saturday is the day I'd probably be able to attend, so I'm glad about that. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! :)

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:59 am

WOW$$$ and without your dog.

How much one on one training could you get for that money, to learn daily repetition and PATIENCE.

Run if anyone mentions "force" training.

Yes I know grandpa used to train horses to load with a 2x4.

Please, this is not about anything Ronnie Smith has to teach. The seminar may be fun.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:31 pm

I have no real life mentors and never met anyone with a hunting bird dog besides DonF and a cousin in SD whom I don't know too well. I think I need to start somewhere. I appreciate your helpfulness and the heads up.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:09 pm

BlessedGirl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:31 pm
I have no real life mentors and never met anyone with a hunting bird dog besides DonF and a cousin in SD whom I don't know too well. I think I need to start somewhere. I appreciate your helpfulness and the heads up.
You certainly won't go wrong by getting pointers and insight from a Ronnie Smith seminar. And if he mentions the word "force" pay attention because it will certainly be something useful.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:57 pm

Haha, the difference of opinions is interesting! But thanks to both of you for your tips.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:29 am

mask wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:22 am
While I don't go along with some of their training methods you will still learn some things that may work for you and it can help with specific problems. Remember they are in it for the money so you may want to ask for the one day discount. A couple of hundred is better than nothing and they will be there anyway. Best to you and yours and thank you again for the nice fathers day message.
Thanks for this tip, Mask. I got a 1/2 price deal with no hesitation. :)

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:04 pm

The seminar is only expensive if you don't take anything from it.

If you go to the seminar the spend then rest of the year sitting on the couch, the seminar was a total waste of money for you.

If you attend the seminar, pay attention, then go home and overlay what you learned so you or your dog sees success, then was it really that expensive?

The man has successfully trained more dogs than all of us have seen, combined. You would be a fool to not go and pay attention.

Heck the networking alone is the price of entry if your smart and socialize with everyone.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:58 am

I agree with you 100%.