Random lameness in GSP

mlese92

Random lameness in GSP

Post by mlese92 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:14 pm

Hello everyone - I wanted to see anyone could share some advice on my gsp who's had on and off limping for the past 2 months or so.

He's 1.5 yrs old and there is no genetic issues from his bloodline related to any sort of join issues. At first it was only a slight limp and I noticed it after he was laying down for a bit. He walked it off and seemed fine. But it persisted for a about a week. We didn't run him or anything to rest it. It seemed like he was fine for another week or two and then it came back at random times. We took him to the vet and they checked him out. No limited motion or signs that it hurt when they moved everything around. He hadn't limped for about a month after that until today. When we run him outside he does run somewhat agresssively so I thought maybe it was a lingering thing or he just tweaked something this morning again. Would you guys recommend an x-ray or MRI?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Random lameness in GSP

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:55 am

I see you've had no help yet , so I moved this here to see if that might help.
Hard to imagine it is anything but an injury at 1.5 months.
I would definitely get an x ray.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:52 am

I learned that the quality of equipment can vary quite a bit between vets. I would go to a University vet school clinic that does ortho surgeries on a routine basis and normally has the equipment needed to properly diagnose these types of injuries.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:15 pm

You can't diagnose on the internet. These dog's mean too much to us. See a vet and get it diagnosed. Don't mess around.

mlese92

Post by mlese92 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:46 pm

Much appreciated everyone. Have an appointment set tomorrow

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:31 pm

All dogs have genetic issue that can pop up regardless of their pedigree.
It might be untreated Lymes or a muscle strain that does not get a chance to heal. Some dogs learn to limp when they want attention.
Could be Patilliar Luxation Probably should X-ray. I did not see which leg. Us key board jockeys are not the best choice for a diagnosis .......Cj

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:54 am

I have a nine and a half year old GSP and she has always hopped with one or another leg for short distances.

Worried me when she was young. Vet exam x-rays etc. NOTHING

Then I noticed she would change up legs???????

Right now she still runs with the best.

Sort of makes me think she has a short circuit once in a while.

Does get my attention and I go check out a paw. It makes her happy and she takes off running.

Best wishes

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:53 am

I have a young outside dog that limps at random and switches feet. I think she does it for attention. One time she started doing it after she saw that the other dog had hurt her paw and got to stay in the house.

Pharm25

Post by Pharm25 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:06 pm

My shorthair got away from me coming off the tailgate and sprained her rear leg. Acted fine after it happened but the next day just below her hock was swollen and she was limping pretty bad. Vet said time and gave meds for her. From time to tim she still skips a beat on that leg if she hunts hard all day.

Hopefully your vet visit went well and everything is ok with the leg.

EP222

Post by EP222 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:44 pm

Could you please share the outcome .did you go to a university? Thank you