Choosing new pup from a litter

oldbeek

Choosing new pup from a litter

Post by oldbeek » Tue May 10, 2022 10:23 pm

How do you do it? They are from an amazing line. This may be the one. Boldest pup in the litter so far. I have first pick and breeder would have picked him also. She is keeping the only female.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Choosing new pup from a litter

Post by slistoe » Tue May 10, 2022 11:59 pm

Looks like a good one to me.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed May 11, 2022 9:16 am

Good thing that hip is back in working shape, looks like you’re going to need it!

Never had the opportunity to get the first pick. I try to find the one I like to look at the most, out of best litter I can find. Seems you have that same criteria covered and then some. Looking forward to the updates.

Garrison

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 11, 2022 9:51 am

You can do your best to pick "the best pup" , but it has been my experience that there is no " for sure" choice.
A litter I bred with a pro friend ( my female dog and his chosen sire - 5xCh Shady Hills Billy) were all sold before they were born. An owner decided he didn't want his chosen dog when he saw it was a runt.
I kept the runt and she turned out to be a great dog in American Field trials and hunting.

PS Good to see you back oldbeek. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed May 11, 2022 12:40 pm

I'm always wary of the "boldest" pup. That MAY be a sign of a very head strong dog or a very stupid one. I hate having to take 8 week old pups. At 10 weeks you can tell SO much more. At my rather advanced age, and variables fairly equal (pointing wing, retrieve, disposition), I would probably take the one that wants to be with ME, not wandering around destroying the kennel :D . Of course these days, my days of simply running a pup down are long gone. Life is far to short to have to battle a dog to train it. This is supposed to be enjoyable. Training a knot head isn't. :(

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed May 11, 2022 3:03 pm

Great looking pup :!:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu May 12, 2022 12:21 pm

I do a few different things.

Since i discovered it, I have always used the Volhard Puppy Aptitude test criteria as a guideline. Actually I use the first four test criteria only. I have found that puppies are totally honest and will tell you what is in their heads, if you just give them an opportunity. The Volhard test gives you a framework to rate individual puppy's psychological makeup.

I will observe the puppies in their enclosure to see what the litter dynamics are. I used to lean toward the dominant pup. Now, not so much as I am older and slower. Extreme Independence is not as much of a requirement for me any more. I tend to be more receptive to the pup that wants to be with me.

I also would often sit down with the pups and see what happens. I have had one pup "claim" ME and fight off others who want to interact with me sitting in their midst. Then she turned to me...looked me dead in the eye... and bit me squarely on the nose. Drew blood and all. Then she licked it.

Messing with puppies is great fun.

ENJOY.

RayG

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu May 12, 2022 5:06 pm

Yeah, I've got the boldest, most dominant female in the litter. Smartest dog I've ever had. The biggest pain in the rear also. I didn't realize I had a thousand yd dog at first and let her roll. By 4 months she was at 400 yds. At a year she was at 1000. Then had to reel her in. Nothing either one of us enjoyed. Not exactly trustworthy either.
Now my middle of the road dog is a 300-400yd dog. Always knows where I am. Rolls on instinct. And finds twice the birds of any dog I hunt with. He is just a pleasure to hunt with. Never have to say a word to him all day.
Just got a pup. Stayed away from the dominant female and took a middle of the road male that was just happy and not to needy. He is a Jacob vd westwind son. Out of a Jacob grandaughter.
I spend a year or two finding the right litter. Genetics are your best bet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun May 15, 2022 8:41 pm

I am going to have to pick this pup over the internet as I need to help my wife exist at home and cant be away that long. I have total trust in the breeder and she is going to help evaluate them in the next few weeks. We will be doing it by video. A friend with second pick is bringing him home for me from the performance classic in Nebraska. At 80 I am probably pushing it but, what the heck, you are only young once. If I don't last long enough, my son can take over. His GSP that I trained took 1st runner up in this years regional nstra challenge. 1st round he was high point of the 24 dog field. 2nd round we were braced together and he beat me. I need another pup to train, so I am going for it.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun May 15, 2022 9:04 pm

Great stuff. Enjoy the new pup.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 16, 2022 9:57 am

oldbeek wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:41 pm
I am going to have to pick this pup over the internet as I need to help my wife exist at home and cant be away that long. I have total trust in the breeder and she is going to help evaluate them in the next few weeks. We will be doing it by video. A friend with second pick is bringing him home for me from the performance classic in Nebraska. At 80 I am probably pushing it but, what the heck, you are only young once. If I don't last long enough, my son can take over. His GSP that I trained took 1st runner up in this years regional nstra challenge. 1st round he was high point of the 24 dog field. 2nd round we were braced together and he beat me.
That must have been a very fun day!(underlined part) :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon May 16, 2022 12:25 pm

That's a handsome pup. Just be aware that if you take the boldest pup, you are going to have the boldest pup, who is into everything non-stop and he will be a lot of work until you get him old enough that he settles a little bit.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon May 16, 2022 3:23 pm

oldbeek wrote:
I am going to have to pick this pup over the internet as I need to help my wife exist at home and cant be away that long. I have total trust in the breeder and she is going to help evaluate them in the next few weeks. We will be doing it by video. A friend with second pick is bringing him home for me from the performance classic in Nebraska. At 80 I am probably pushing it but, what the heck, you are only young once. If I don't last long enough, my son can take over. His GSP that I trained took 1st runner up in this years regional nstra challenge. 1st round he was high point of the 24 dog field. 2nd round we were braced together and he beat me. I need another pup to train, so I am going for it.
You're very lucky to have a son to take over. I'm close to your age and am not getting another dog. Current one is six and she may even out live me. What happens to a dog when I die is a very big thing with me so you're a very lucky man. Puppy breath is one of Gods greatest gifts to man.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue May 17, 2022 6:02 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:23 pm
oldbeek wrote:
You're very lucky to have a son to take over. I'm close to your age and am not getting another dog. Current one is six and she may even out live me. What happens to a dog when I die is a very big thing with me so you're a very lucky man. Puppy breath is one of Gods greatest gifts to man.

Yup. Person needs a plan.

12oclocktial

Post by 12oclocktial » Thu May 26, 2022 3:47 am

The biggest thing is picking the right litter and it sounds like you have already done that. Now the pup comes down to your feeling. Once you get pup home, they will be like a sponge, soaking in everything you put out.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun May 29, 2022 5:47 pm

Pretty simple for me. Put the females in one box and the males in another. decide if you want a male or female and go to that box. Close your eyes and grab one! Going to be quite a bit of changing for a couple years and whichever one you pick will grow on you. probably have some faults but when it lays in your lap to watch TV the faults disappear! I believe that people that use their vast knowledge to pick a pup couldn't do much better! One other way is to pick what you think is the best looking one. Fact is the same guy takes them all home and they are well bred, they'll probably all turn out fine but after a time the guy will get to having a favorite and it's probably no better than a couple others.

When I lost my Springer, Skipper, in the mid 1980's I went looking for another Springer pup. Looked at a lot of pup's and I finally came to me I was looking not for a pup but Skipper and he was gone. Pretty much never have let myself get down to one dog again!

Just grab one, it will train you!