DT 509

Elhewramblinman

DT 509

Post by Elhewramblinman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:06 am

I received my DT 509 launcher in today. I posted a thread the other day and hopefully this will help steady my pup and stop him from flagging. My question is are there any maintenance I need to look out for to keep the launcher working properly. Obviously it is mechanical so it’s not if but when something breaks. Any advice would be great.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Re: DT 509

Post by Garrison » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:43 am

Glad you found one, sounds like they are hard to get at the moment. Now it’s time to put it away, the pup is only 4 months old. As was said by everyone in the other thread, your pup isn’t ready for any of this stuff. If you want to cause your pup to flag, you are well on your way if you are launching birds for it now. Take him to the field and work on being buddies for awhile longer. Hunting season ain’t going anywhere.

Maintenance, keep the electronics dry and a little lube on the moving parts helps every couple years. I disconnect and pull the batteries on mine, but mine are really old and are not a sealed unit. Some mount them to a board so they stay dry and out of the dirt.

Garrison

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:11 pm

The 509 launchers have a drop down door where you can load the birds from the end. It has a hole that goes thru the door--Take some duct tape and tape that hole shut-- If you don't, quail can stick their head out that hole and when you launch them it will kill or cripple them since their head is outside the launcher and their body is inside the launcher :cry: There are enough holes on the launcher that the dog will still be able to smell the bird
without the end door hole.
When you unhook the battery, be careful unsnapping it--it is easy to break the connections off the wires. They need to be carefully pried off the battery with a thin knife blade. I had 2 of these launchers and they lasted a long, long time(10 dogs worth of training) until I ended up selling them
them used after my last dog (they still worked good!).
Good luck training your pup. :D

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:06 pm

deseeker wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:11 pm
The 509 launchers have a drop down door where you can load the birds from the end. It has a hole that goes thru the door--Take some duct tape and tape that hole shut-- If you don't, quail can stick their head out that hole and when you launch them it will kill or cripple them since their head is outside the launcher and their body is inside the launcher :cry: There are enough holes on the launcher that the dog will still be able to smell the bird
When you unhook the battery, be careful unsnapping it--it is easy to break the connections off the wires. They need to be carefully pried off the battery with a thin knife blade. I had 2 of these launchers and they lasted a long, long time(10 dogs worth of training) until I ended up selling them
. dessseker, you not getting anymore dogs?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:18 pm

oldbeek wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:06 pm
deseeker wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:11 pm
. dessseker, you not getting anymore dogs?
I lost my last 3 dogs in a 4 month span, I moved to town into a duplex where I can't have a dog. My bad back only lets me hunt for about a hour and a half before I have to quit. So for now I'm done with dogs--maybe again later down the road. My hunting buddies all have dogs so I just go with them.
NOTE--Since I don't have a dog , I only see about 1/4 the birds that my buddies do with their dogs :cry:

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:05 pm

I refuse to give up. Of coarse I live on the edge of the desert with quail around my house. Getting a pup from Kristy and Dean Goodall in June. I have had a bunch of body parts removed and some replaced but still moving forward. Got a new hip last week and have not had a back ache since. In my country I can ride my quad while hunting or training. That really helps. I am dreaming of going to Hells Canyon this year. ??? Am I crazy?