New member/EP advice

Ryguy

New member/EP advice

Post by Ryguy » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:54 pm

New to the forum and looking for input on an EP that I'll be getting in a few weeks. Would like to hear from people who have actually had dogs from the lines(hopefully I can figure out how to attach the pedigree) and hunted over them. I have talked to the breeder but I'd like to hear from others with no bias.
I currently have GSP's and run them in the northeast on liberated birds, grouse and woodcock, to wild birds in the Midwest. Hoping the EP adjusts well to different covers as easy as the shorthairs?
Screenshot_20220127-194843~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mask

Re: New member/EP advice

Post by mask » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:38 pm

I have had three dogs bred like the top side of this pedigree. Two of the three had AA run and were real bird finders. It would appear that a pup from this litter could be a big runner. If you started the pup hunting in your woodcock country and make sure the pup knows what recall is and minds you may be OK. An other choice may be to find pointers bred for woodcock. Good hunting no matter your choice.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:51 am

Have had some experience with dogs from the dam's side of your pedigree. There is plenty of "juice" there. Both sides of your pup's pedigree are quite strong.

I suggest you do whatever you can to bond with and make very good friends with your pup. A dog bred like yours can do a lot of things very well, and if the dog likes you, and wants to be with you...you can have something very special. If a dog bred like that likes you and wants to stay with you...it will, and it will hunt its heart out...for you. The flip side is also true. if a dog bred like that decides it don't want to be with you...it won't.

Erin's dogs seem to respond best to gentler, and more positive training methods(as I understand it) and may take a little more time to get out of the "puppy stage". Mine did, and it was worth the wait. I can hunt him on a 40 acre preserve and kill a bunch of birds over him and I can cut him loose in front of a horse and he will run to the front, but still stay in touch. Elastic range.

I think you will find that the dog will do what it needs to do to find birds and stay with you in the varying terrain and covers. As long as you do not "encourage" run, I believe the dog will develop the "elastic" range that hunters usually need.

RayG

Ryguy

Post by Ryguy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:35 am

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to developing this pup!

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:51 am

Dog is going to be a stud :) good luck and have fun!

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:55 pm

My dog has HTA and Fibber in his pedigree. I’ve heard HTA threw hard headed pups but Elhew are famously people pleasing and Erin’s from my understanding aren’t as hard headed as some. If I had to take a guess what that pedigree would produce it would be a bigger running, handsome, and biddable dog. Maybe even some head crank :mrgreen:

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:32 pm

I had an HTA grandson with Rebel on the bottom side who was by far the most biddable dog I've owned. I've never had another dog who was so concerned about making me smile. Ice set the bar almost unreachably high for the dogs that came after him. I lost him to cancer at seven, and have often heard since that HTA passed along some propensity for that, so went in different directions for my last three dogs. One was tightly linebred Crow's Little Joe, the next was a Guardrail grandson, and the third a Blackhawk grandson with a lot of top Elhew names also showing close up. Unfortunately none of them have come close to the HTA dog. The Blackhawk dog has similar cooperation and personality, but thus far he's fallen short of the HTA dog in the field. Still hoping he will come around as he's just two.

Ice had a cannon nose, beautiful conformation, twelve o'clock tail, great endurance and heat tolerance, along with being a very enthusiastic and reliable retriever and a model citizen around the house and kennel. We really gave the local sharptail and pheasant populations heck during the years we hunted together. He even broke ice a few times to bring back late season ducks and geese for me. I often hear that we are only allowed one really good dog, and he was that one for me.

I've really no idea if the HTA cancer link is legitimate, but it hurt to lose that dog and I didn't want to take any chances of going through that again. Based on his cooperative personality, I'd not worry too much about your HTA pup being hard-headed. Do as Ray recommends and make him your best friend, and I suspect you'll have a very nice dog.