The Mystique of the Prairies

Devils Creek

The Mystique of the Prairies

Post by Devils Creek » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:09 pm

When I'm laying in bed in the ancient Gainesborough (Saskatchewan) two story brick hotel, I almost can feel the spirits of the men that have been before me.

Generations of men, and their sons, and now grandsons who travelled first by train to this vast landscape to train and test their dogs in the most telling grounds left on this continent.

When you first saddle up and ride across this landscape it can be a bit unnerving. Miles and miles of prairie, interspersed with poplar groves, stands of wolf willow, sage brush, and prickly pear cactus. I'm turned around within an hour, but my horse usually knows where camp is.

Yet you're not alone. Expect to see coyotes skulking the next rise, watching you as intently as you're watching them. Jumbo whitetail deer, explode out of coulees in groups of three and four, often with a buck at the head of the group that hunters can only dream of.

And the birds. Native flocks of Sharptail Grouse and the upstart Hungarian Partridge. Untouched and unsullied by man.They're why we're here, especially the sharptails.

They're why those men started coming so many years ago. Juvenile sharptail are the finest training tool for pointing dogs ever discovered. They are predictable in location, hold until pushed, try to stay flocked up, scent well, fly a short distance when flushed to another predictable position, and its all done at a cooler temperature than back home in Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia.

Now this is key. The birds are not everywhere. They are in very specific locations, that a smart dog learns to identify. Dogs learn to hunt here. Really hunt. It's no coincidence that when you review the winners of the major trials and the Purina All-Age Handler awards that a disproportunate number are regulars on the Northern Plains.

And yet the trials and trainers have been struggling to exist here. Government regulations eliminated many of the professionals that came here for generations. Many trainers were forced to seek other grounds in the Dakotas, Nebraska and other places on the southern side of the border. Changing economics have also played a factor. The professional shooting dog trainers have disappeared (from this area at least), as owners run more of their own dogs as amateurs themselves. The professionals here run All Age stakes almost exclusively.

So, the prairie has evolved into two somewhat separate, somewhat integrated worlds. The old magical names are still occupied.

Broomhill and Melita still are home to fierce competition. Colvin and Mazie Davis, disciples of John S. Gates run several trials, and this year revived the Manitoba Championship. Robin and Hunter Gates are nearby, along with Ricky Furney with his powerhouse string of Miller bred dogs.

In Stoughton Saskatchewan, Lefty Henry trains occasionally with my partner Pat Lewis, who learned his trade under the late Ted Gardner, on grounds developed by Ted's father John. The Epps still visit Piapot SK each summer.

No where is the history more felt than Mortlach Saskatchewan, home of the Dominion Chicken Championship, plus many other trials. Here's the corrals at Mortlach the morning of the Dominion. Fifty Tennessee Walkers in the boxes plus horses staked out everywhere else.

Now why are these trials important to the average hunter or weekend trialler? There are several reasons.

When dogs are discussed, the question is often asked "Can he win on the prairies?' Triallers and breeders know it takes a special dog to win here. Now, I have nothing against the southern trials, but there are definitely different conditions, and different ways of running. In heavy cover games can be played. Creative scouting can rest a dog, take a dog magically to the front with no sign of assistance, and put a dog to the front in a known birdy area. In the north, things are different. The birds are wild, the cover is sparser, the territory covered larger. Its more open, and tougher to change the odds.

Well known Canadian Amateurs, fr. left Trevor Palmer, Dr. Lou Qualtiere (Ardath Field trial Club), and Ron Bender (Mortlach Field Trial Club)

Secondly there is a theory called "drag of the breed". Basically, the theory is that unchecked, breeding indiscriminately leads to mediocrity. If you take two National Champions, put them on an island, and come back in fifty or a hundred years, what you'll find is an island full of coyotes.

In a typical full all age breeding, of seven pups, you might have only two dogs that will run all age, while the rest may only be shooting dogs or hunting dogs. If you breed shooting dogs together, you may have a couple of shooting dogs, and a bunch of real nice hunting dogs. Now there are magic "nicks" that change the odds, and "blue hen" bitches that will throw great trial dogs no matter what they're bred to (think Potato Patch Sue, or Wine List). As hunters and triallers concerned about the future of our breeds, we have to keep looking to the great trial dogs to revitalize our breedings. Bob Wehle did it time and time again. Look at his outcrossings to dogs like Guard Rail, and Dunn's Fearless Bud among others.

Here's some of Doug Vaugn's Shadow Cruiser derbies at Ardath. Primarily Miller Silver Bullett and Whippoorwill's Rebel breeding.

My old partner "Sun" waiting for the start of the Prairie Shooting Dog "Ogilvy" Classic at Ardath.

Bill Preston & Maureen Preston watering one of their charges.

Kind of a "who's who of Canadian triallers" From left standing: Butch Froese, Sheldon Rogers, Ron Bender. Kneeling: Doug Vaughn, Bill Preston, Dr. Lou Qualtiere, with Ron's grandson.

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:16 pm

DC,

We beg for more as if we were a month in the desert without moisture for our lips.

Sincerely,

Will

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 pm

Beautiful DC, I have to go dry my eyes now.

Bill B, what do you think, is that worth a response from the US side? Please???

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:48 pm

Very, very nice. It plants the seed even deeper for me to want to get up there and experience "the prairie"

Thanks

ssjetset

Post by ssjetset » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:13 pm

more please, very very nice!

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:32 pm

Awesome! Great thread, I love this stuff!

gunner

Post by gunner » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Outstanding! Please share more!

bill

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Bill, we are looking to you to reply for the US side. Please.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:22 pm

I have some questions DC.

How young would they bring dogs up to summer camp?

What was their development program for a young dog, when did they start to do what with them?

How often does a particular dog get roaded and how often is it run on birds?

And can you explain what being a scout entails up there.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:44 pm

Bravo.

That is one of the most enjoyable things I have ever read on the net.

Thank You
Gary Kirkpatrick

ssjetset

Post by ssjetset » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:39 pm

Devlis creek,did you ever see the likes of Safari,El saus doll or Pork Roll run? What millers dogs have you seen ? I'm a gsp guy but I realize that the best of the best are pointers. The next dog I plan on owning will be a pointer just for a change, as I have had GSP's for almost 30 years I want to try something new and see for myself how a pointer works.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:42 pm

I'm not a trialer, but fascinating reading just the same. If you have more, please continue.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:05 am

Wagonmaster wrote:I have some questions DC.

How young would they bring dogs up to summer camp?

What was their development program for a young dog, when did they start to do what with them?

How often does a particular dog get roaded and how often is it run on birds?

And can you explain what being a scout entails up there.
John...dogs are started pretty young, I remember the Rayls running lots of 6-7 month dogs. Most of those lines mature pretty fast.

The finished dogs don't have too much done with them other than conditioning. I would say the average dog is roaded at least 3 times a week. Very often during a workout, 2 will be roaded together off a horse, until they're turned loose. I would say they'll try to get a young dog on birds maybe every second day, so 3 times a week. They will often road one day and work birds the next. I've seen lots of times where they'll use a broke derby to locate a covey, then bring the young dogs in, and try and work them up and get them pointing.

I think they'll try and get them pretty well broke maybe around 18 months. I know they finish earlier than they used to. Ricky Furney and Robin Gates are using released quail and chukars for finishing work. If they have a dog full time, they'll bring it on a bit slower, but it seems the expectation is for fall derbies to be broke.

Scouting....now there's an interesting subject. I assume that down south the handler pretty well sticks to the course, but here its often so open that scouts are only sent when the dog is lost out of pocket.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:13 am

ssjetset wrote:Devlis creek,did you ever see the likes of Safari,El saus doll or Pork Roll run? What millers dogs have you seen ? I'm a gsp guy but I realize that the best of the best are pointers. The next dog I plan on owning will be a pointer just for a change, as I have had GSP's for almost 30 years I want to try something new and see for myself how a pointer works.
Sorry, but I missed on all of those, though I always wanted to see Pork Roll. Now I had a dog with Ricky Furney, so I've seen Millers On Line and True Spirit. I saw Silver Bullett at Mortlach some years ago. I was in the amateur trial, praying I wouldn't get braced with Ferrell.

A dog that impressed the heck out of me was Dr. Crouch's Silverwood. The consistent Rolls Royce dog was Quicksilver Pink.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:27 pm

My training partner's Pork Roll daughter he called Makin Bacon. She ran an absolutely beautiful ground race especially in the grouse woods. But I don't know that he ever got her truly broke. The problem was he just doted on her too much. She was the dog that lived in the house, got food scraps, etc., and he just could not bear to be hard on her in training even when she needed it.

As for development of young dogs, ours is dictated more by time of year when they are born. I tend to have spring pups, March, April, so not ready for a training camp at that age, but they get on wild birds quite a bit the first fall. My two brothers killed over 60 roosters over their brothers to my trial dog in the fall when the dogs were 6 months to 9 months. The dogs will go to their first training camp in the winter of their first year if they are destined for trialing. I like to wait until they are 6 mo's., not because they are not ready for birds, but because they are not mature enough to handle camp, other dogs, horses, etc. At my house they will be on birds and pointing from around 8 - 10 weeks, a mix of pen raised and wild, wild preferred whenever available. Younger start is better.

We have a point system for AKC Field Championship, a dog can win two of its points in Puppy and two in Derby. Normally, as soon as it has those two Derby points, we no longer run the dog in young dog stakes and it is being broke, unless we feel the dog has not had enough trial experience yet. They are broke by about 18 months. Looked through the records on the trial dog, his first broke dog win was three days shy of two years.

We get alot of questions about when to do what on this site, I thank you for helping with the answers.

Now, as for the scouting part, the pros who went north for the summer usually had full time scouts. Those guys were the working part of the team. Northern ND where we trained and where the Sask ran in the 80's was aspen parkland, pretty much just like your pictures. Open prairie with clumps or stands of aspen interspersed. We always heard your part of the country referred to as "the boosh," pidgin french I guess for "the bush." Same as what we had with prairie willow and aspen stands. A dog could get away if you were not careful, get lost around the backside of a big piece of brush, and there is only so far the human eye can see a rank young derby anyway. It was the job of the scouts to keep em in ND, or for you Manitoba, and they worked like the "bleep" to do it. Not often you see that quality of rider.

I guess that was what gunner was up to when he broke Cov's stock.

When they ran in trials, the handler would sit back with the judges and just chat, like nothing in particular was going on. If a young dog got in trouble and was headed for Sasketchewan or Alberta, there were walking horses that could have kept up with a thoroughbred and that was the scout's job.