Dog Eating Dog House

PoorMansWrangler

Dog Eating Dog House

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Hey everyone, hoping to get some advice. My dogs are in outside kennels during the day while I am at work. I built them nice insulated, covered dog houses to lie in when they are outside in their kennel. I used 3/4 inch treated play wood for the outside of the houses. They work great, except my pointer (1 year old) decided he wanted to be a beaver, and is chewing/eating every piece of wood he can get in his mouth. This is causing him some stomach issues (guessing from the chemicals in the treated wood). Anyone ran into this before, or have any suggestions?

Garrison

Re: Dog Eating Dog House

Post by Garrison » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Installing L metal on all edges and corners can help with the chewing.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:41 pm

had a gsp that ate the front 2x4 door post away. It was sheeted wit 1/2 inch plywood and filled with fiberglass insulation. Stacked a bunch of green elm tree pruned branches up against the chain link. he switched to chewing on that. He had to drag the branches through the chain link.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Had a few that would chew over the years. PIA.

Steel "J" channel that is about 1/2" wide seems to work well. It cuts pretty well with a good big pair of tinsnips. I install it with the long side(~1 1/2") outside and run a few stainless steel self tapping screws up from the underside so that they stick out of the top asbout a half inch or so. That seems to really slow down the desire to chew. If I find a spot with teethmarks in it, I add a SS screw...and it stops.

THe rounded openings of the dogloos I have are a bit of a challenge , but i find if I make a series of cuts on the underside, i can shape the channel around the opening pretty well.

I used to use aluminum J channel, but had one dog that tore it up, so switched to steel. Had one years ago that didn't mess with the coop, but would work on the chain link fencing of the kennel. He did a number on the 11 1/2 ga fencewire. The 9 ga. chainlink I replaced it with was too much for him, but he never quit trying. Most of his back teeth were a lovely shade of silver from gnawing on the zinc galvanizing. He was one tough SOB. I cursed him, many a time, but I still miss him.

RayG

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:07 pm

Had a few that would chew over the years. PIA.

Steel "J" channel that is about 1/2" wide seems to work well. It cuts pretty well with a good big pair of tinsnips. I install it with the long side(~1 1/2") outside and run a few stainless steel self tapping screws up from the underside so that they stick out of the top asbout a half inch or so. That seems to really slow down the desire to chew. If I find a spot with teethmarks in it, I add a SS screw...and it stops.

THe rounded openings of the dogloos I have are a bit of a challenge , but i find if I make a series of cuts on the underside, i can shape the channel around the opening pretty well.

I used to use aluminum J channel, but had one dog that tore it up, so switched to steel. Had one years ago that didn't mess with the coop, but would work on the chain link fencing of the kennel. He did a number on the 11 1/2 ga fencewire. The 9 ga. chainlink I replaced it with was too much for him, but he never quit trying. Most of his back teeth were a lovely shade of silver from gnawing on the zinc galvanizing. He was one tough SOB. I cursed him, many a time, but I still miss him.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:26 pm

oldbeek wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:41 pm
had a gsp that ate the front 2x4 door post away. It was sheeted wit 1/2 inch plywood and filled with fiberglass insulation. Stacked a bunch of green elm tree pruned branches up against the chain link. he switched to chewing on that. He had to drag the branches through the chain link.

Now that's what I call creative! :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:59 am

I will give that a shot thank you!

birds

Post by birds » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:13 am

I used Tabasco. It worked well.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:35 am

What Ray Said.

Johnmo89

Post by Johnmo89 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:58 pm

You need to treat the boards with this composition: mix 2 parts of liquid soap with 1 part of ground red pepper. The problem is usually solved right away. This is an old recipe and it helped me.
I do not recommend hot sauce, the dog has a very sensitive tongue and can get burned.
I read that there is a spray, very bitter, but I could not find it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:02 am

Johnmo89 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:58 pm
You need to treat the boards with this composition: mix 2 parts of liquid soap with 1 part of ground red pepper. The problem is usually solved right away. This is an old recipe and it helped me.
I do not recommend hot sauce, the dog has a very sensitive tongue and can get burned.
I read that there is a spray, very bitter, but I could not find it.
Over the years I have tried several different spray on or paint on applications. Bitter apple, bitter cherry, hot pepper, etc. The bitter apple worked on one dog and the hot pepper worked on one other, but not on others. I have one paint on application that was meant for horses that cribbed(chewed on wooden fencing). It worked like a charm on the horse I had that was cribbing. I was afraid to use it on dogs as it was borderline poisonous.

RayG