Price of a “started” dog?

Tenderfoot

Price of a “started” dog?

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:10 am

How does one know if the asking price for a started dog is fair. I realize there’s many variables such as genetics, training, experience etc. but generally speaking does the value drop considerably as the dog ages? This is the main point of my concern and I’d love to get input from those who have experience in this arena....For example, if you were selling/buying a started male pointer who’s nearly seven years old with “good” genetics, has a good amount of formal training, handles well, steady to wing and shot, has been hunted on wild birds out west nearly his entire life and is an easy keeper. What is a reasonable price you would pay?

Thanks

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Price of a “started” dog?

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 am

I've never bought a started dog but, in me experience a started dog is less expensive than a puppy! One real bad problem for me though, what makes a started dog? I'm sure some people have dogs that they call started that have had some training but I've seen to many called started that from the price appear to be part of a kennel clean out sale or maybe they have started to eat on their own. I would not consider one sight unseen! Again your back to a dog called started that sell's for less than a puppy! Why is that?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 am

The dog you describes sounds well on his way to finished rather than just started. Why is he for sale? Where are his holes, and are they something you can live with? Does the dog meet your needs? Have you seen him work; was it in person or via video? Do you know the seller, or the trainer? What's their take on it, and what kind of reputation do they have?

As for price, that's something that only the prospective buyer can decide. What's the budget? How much does the buyer like the dog? How much expense is there in purchasing a puppy and raising and training it, compared to the price of the started dog? Is the buyer wanting a dog to hunt with right now, or is he willing to wait a year or two or three to train up a puppy to the level of the older dog? Also factor in that a puppy isn't guaranteed to become the dog ya want anyway.

No one else's opinion matters but the buyer's. Some folks are willing to pay a lot for a little, and others won't pay a little for a lot.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:16 am

The dog you describe is way beyond started. He sounds like he is ready to hunt. If he is healthy, sound, friendly, and you have seen him work and you like him and you want him $3000 would be a fair price. If he is 7 you may have 3 good years or more with him. This would give you ample time to find a pup that suits you and have it ready to go when you retire the old boy. You can look at it this way at $3000 this dog would cost about $1000 per year which is not a bad investment. I still get started dogs in that really are not what I would consider started but in this case this is a made dog. I would recommend you see this dog in a hunting situation (ie running lose) on more than one occasion, with at least some bird work, then make your decision.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:06 pm

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:57 pm

shags wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 am
The dog you describes sounds well on his way to finished rather than just started. Why is he for sale? Where are his holes, and are they something you can live with? Does the dog meet your needs? Have you seen him work; was it in person or via video? Do you know the seller, or the trainer? What's their take on it, and what kind of reputation do they have?

As for price, that's something that only the prospective buyer can decide. What's the budget? How much does the buyer like the dog? How much expense is there in purchasing a puppy and raising and training it, compared to the price of the started dog? Is the buyer wanting a dog to hunt with right now, or is he willing to wait a year or two or three to train up a puppy to the level of the older dog? Also factor in that a puppy isn't guaranteed to become the dog ya want anyway.

No one else's opinion matters but the buyer's. Some folks are willing to pay a lot for a little, and others won't pay a little for a lot.
Yes, I agree shags he is more than a started dog, and he probably has more experience than most, obviously more so than a pup. He fits my needs well, adjusted with my other dog and family and is really turn key for what I do and I’ve hunted him quit a bit this last year. He’s for sale really because of a change of circumstances in the owners life, he doesn’t has as much time as he originally thought to hunt him as he would like.
Last edited by Tenderfoot on Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:03 pm

mask wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:16 am
The dog you describe is way beyond started. He sounds like he is ready to hunt. If he is healthy, sound, friendly, and you have seen him work and you like him and you want him $3000 would be a fair price. If he is 7 you may have 3 good years or more with him. This would give you ample time to find a pup that suits you and have it ready to go when you retire the old boy. You can look at it this way at $3000 this dog would cost about $1000 per year which is not a bad investment. I still get started dogs in that really are not what I would consider started but in this case this is a made dog. I would recommend you see this dog in a hunting situation (ie running lose) on more than one occasion, with at least some bird work, then make your decision.
He is all the above; friendly, healthy, ready to hunt and within your described fair price. I’ve hunted him quit a bit this year and he did well, some differences to my other one, but nothing that’s a show stopper. Age being my only hesitation and something I was curious what others thought if it significantly impacted pricing and/or if it would be of concern.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:20 pm

DonF wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 am
I've never bought a started dog but, in me experience a started dog is less expensive than a puppy! One real bad problem for me though, what makes a started dog? I'm sure some people have dogs that they call started that have had some training but I've seen to many called started that from the price appear to be part of a kennel clean out sale or maybe they have started to eat on their own. I would not consider one sight unseen! Again your back to a dog called started that sell's for less than a puppy! Why is that?

X2 (part underlined by me)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:51 pm

As for your concerns about the years you might get out of this dog, there's no way to know. Stuff happens, or doesn't happen.
He might get a career ending injury the first weekend you own him, how can you know? He might go like my old fella, retired from competition at 12, and now a perfect foot hunting companion at nearly 14.

If you like the dog and can afford to buy him, then it doesn't really matter what any body else thinks is a fair price. Who else besides your SO, if you have one, even needs to know what you paid. You'll talk to people who will say such a dog is a bargain at approaching 5 figures; other people will say you got ripped off if you paid $500 or less.

I once knew a guy who would only take free or really really cheap dogs. He said when they're cheap, he didn't care if something happened to them. Sick or injured, they got a .22 slug in the head. Lost? Who cares, maybe they'd find a farmhouse where someone would take them in. Didn't work the way he wanted, no problem, just drop 'em off at the pound.
Guys like this are a reason why people needing to place a dog might ask a little more pricewise. Because when ya pay enough to pinch a little bit, ya probably will take pretty good care of the dog.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 am

Tenderfoot
Personally, I think $3000 is a bit steep for a 7 year old dog. But, I was raised in a different time. $2000 for a puppy blows my mind also. 8 years old is about the time vet costs and health issues start to rise. So that is a consideration. Knowing the dog as you do and hunting over him is a plus. If you like the dog and he is what you want go for it. All older dogs have some holes that the seller is likely not to tell you about if you don't ask.
Like they say at the horse auctions," it's only money you will get more, you always do"........Cj

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:00 pm

shags wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:51 pm
As for your concerns about the years you might get out of this dog, there's no way to know. Stuff happens, or doesn't happen.
He might get a career ending injury the first weekend you own him, how can you know? He might go like my old fella, retired from competition at 12, and now a perfect foot hunting companion at nearly 14.

If you like the dog and can afford to buy him, then it doesn't really matter what any body else thinks is a fair price. Who else besides your SO, if you have one, even needs to know what you paid. You'll talk to people who will say such a dog is a bargain at approaching 5 figures; other people will say you got ripped off if you paid $500 or less.

I once knew a guy who would only take free or really really cheap dogs. He said when they're cheap, he didn't care if something happened to them. Sick or injured, they got a .22 slug in the head. Lost? Who cares, maybe they'd find a farmhouse where someone would take them in. Didn't work the way he wanted, no problem, just drop 'em off at the pound.
Guys like this are a reason why people needing to place a dog might ask a little more pricewise. Because when ya pay enough to pinch a little bit, ya probably will take pretty good care of the dog.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.
Thanks

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Tenderfoot wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:57 pm
He’s for sale really because of a change of circumstances in the owners life, he doesn’t has as much time as he originally thought to hunt him as he would like.
The unfortunate fact is there are always more good dogs than there are good homes for those dogs. Money is relative and it is not everything. But if you are willing to be flexible in your requirements (and a seven-year-old dog is being flexible) and willing to travel to find what you want, you can definitely get a top-flight dog for less than that. On the other hand, if he is right there, you have hunted with him and you like him... well, I might offer less. I have bought very good started or far-better than-started dogs for a good deal less than that. And a seven-year-old dog for the owner is a depreciating asset. At seven, financially speaking, he is depreciating quickly. And the most important thing to the owner -- if he is a decent sort of guy-- is being assured that the dog will have a good lifetime home.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:58 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm
Tenderfoot wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:57 pm
He’s for sale really because of a change of circumstances in the owners life, he doesn’t has as much time as he originally thought to hunt him as he would like.
The unfortunate fact is there are always more good dogs than there are good homes for those dogs. Money is relative and it is not everything. But if you are willing to be flexible in your requirements (and a seven-year-old dog is being flexible) and willing to travel to find what you want, you can definitely get a top-flight dog for less than that. On the other hand, if he is right there, you have hunted with him and you like him... well, I might offer less. I have bought very good started or far-better than-started dogs for a good deal less than that. And a seven-year-old dog for the owner is a depreciating asset. At seven, financially speaking, he is depreciating quickly. And the most important thing to the owner -- if he is a decent sort of guy-- is being assured that the dog will have a good lifetime home.
I agree with everything you wrote.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:27 pm

What stood out to me were "started" and "7 years old." A bit old to be a started dog, but if he's got the basics down pretty good, you might be giving a good dog a good home

mask

Post by mask » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:37 pm

A dog that is steady to wing and shot is way beyond a started dog and most dogs never get to this point in training. This is a dog that is what you see is what you get. It all boils down to what a dog of this caliber is worth to you.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:59 am

Obviously this is not and investment you would hope to make a monetary profit on. So it is just what you are willing to pay for a nice companion dog to hunt with for a few years. The true market value of the dog is much less than that amount.
The real issue is what his value to you. You are likely the only buyer.......Cj

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:08 am

No one has asked , is the dog a proven sire? Is there any money to be regained in stud fees?

I think if you like the dog and see no health problems , the 3000
Is fair. I believe the dog should have at least 5 more years in him.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:37 am

For 3k you can buy a really nice 2 or 3 year old prospect that has spent a couple years on the prairie. Good bird dog, doesn't have enough run or style, or proper gait for a field trial.

I'm not sure I would spend $3000 on a 7 year old dog, especially when there are better options out there.

Up North

Post by Up North » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:33 pm

I agree that is steep for a seven year old dog. I would look at a younger dog myself, because like stated it is the age of slowing down and more care.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:10 pm

Appreciate all the responses. He is well beyond a started dog and his age is really my only concern. I was curious at what point the price point dropped, but I understand that’s not a totally straight forward answer because of all the variables and really as most have said, he’s only worth what I’m willing to pay.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:26 pm

Tell the owner you would love to have him as he's a great dog and you would treasure him forever, but that your wife got very very agitated when you brought up $3000. Tell him if you play your cards right, you think you can talk her into $ XXX and if you can, would that be okay?

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:26 pm
Tell the owner you would love to have him as he's a great dog and you would treasure him forever, but that your wife got very very agitated when you brought up $3000. Tell him if you play your cards right, you think you can talk her into $ XXX and if you can, would that be okay?
Man up and just say you don't think the dog is worth the 3k. He would have a great home but your not looking to spend that on a 7 year old dog. Thank the person for their time and understanding.

Don't hide behind your wife. Be straight to the point and be honest. I can respect someone alot more if they tell me they don't think my price is in line over one who tries to hide behind their significant other.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:11 pm

Pretty sure Steve was trying to be funny Ryan. I thought it was very funny. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett