Start of aggression need to fix

WhitBri

Start of aggression need to fix

Post by WhitBri » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:25 pm

I have a 2.5 year old intact male lab. Great dog and is a joy to hunt with.
Over the last 6 mo there have been a few instances of him showing aggression towards people not in our household. Not strangers as in brother in law, mother in law and my mother. All I can “explain” away if I wanted to but also don’t want to be complacent and have a problem get worse.
I believe them all to be dominance related and all but one happened while I was not present. Like I said never shown an ounce of aggression towards myself, wife or kids.
Two questions and yes I have searched
Would neutering help? Have other found any success with it?
And for the anti neuter it’s a training issue. What training can I do? Obviously the people he hasn’t done this too don’t want to help for fear of getting bit. And he really doesn’t do it when I’m around where I could correct him.
Looking for any and all ideas as I want to correct it I. It’s early stages to keep it from getting to be an issue that I can’t control.
This is my first dog so I’m new to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoorMansWrangler

Re: Start of aggression need to fix

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:26 pm

Hopefully others chime in with more experience, but I had similar issues with my male (also intact). If you have a “leave it” command, you can use that, but enforce it. If that doesn’t work, I just had to grab mine by the neck and give him a shake, let him know that’s not acceptable and to cut it out. Dogs are different, some tougher/softer than others, so you may have to come down harder/softer. It’s uncomfortable to do it front of guests, but it’s not worth someone getting bit.

WhitBri

Post by WhitBri » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:03 pm

That was something I thought of. I’m going to get tougher on him at any signs of aggression. Barking at stranger or anything at all. Seems that is all he does around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:24 am

Just keep in mind that you can't cure aggression with aggression. Many times it makes it worse. I think what the dog is doing, from the description, is protecting his home and family. Easy way to check that is to take him in public, around a Mall or even into a Cabelas and see how he reacts. If it's home aggression, he may actually be subservient around other people outside the home. I encouraged friends to come up and give the dog a treat with me monitoring the situation carefully. I have never really discouraged that behavior, I've simple crated the dog when company was there.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:43 am

This ^^^