New Member with Very First Dog

JAY

New Member with Very First Dog

Post by JAY » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:03 pm

After 3 years reading Gundog Forum, I requested membership. My reading began when I acquired a 2-month-old GSP pup at a time when I had never had a pet larger than a guinea pig. I had a lot to learn. The Forum’s discussions and opinions helped me care and train my Gundog.

My grandfather and his brothers used “Shorthairs” for quail and pheasant hunting so I knew the breed. It processes the same enthusiasm I have for adventures in the great outdoors. I waited until I retired to acquire my dog. The first step was to learn more about the breed from owners I met at the Philadelphia Dog Show. I wanted my dog to be free to use all his inherent skills as a GSP gundog. I watched You-Tube videos by AYTEE and observed how trainer and dog work together with mutual respect and companionship.

Indoors my dog does nose exercises. I hide a kibble somewhere in the house and say “find”. Outdoors we do retrieve exercises with Frisbees or dummies from a DT Systems .22 caliper launcher. He waits until I say “fetch”. He particularly likes working with my Flirting Stick. I hatch Bob White Quail in winter time and in the summer, I hide a few daily. He waits in the distance until I say “find”. I am always thrilled watching my GSP run with the wind, suddenly freeze into a point, and wait for me to flush the quail.

Tim Tufts

Re: New Member with Very First Dog

Post by Tim Tufts » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 am

Welcome to the "gang".
Look forward to reading your posts as you and your buddy progress.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Good for you. Welcome. I wish others who have been reading here for 3+ years with join too.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Welcome and sounds like your have fun with your dog, nothing like watching a good hard point! :)

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 am

Welcome & sounds like some fun times ahead !