Handler errors

STOCKB53

Handler errors

Post by STOCKB53 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 am

What is the most common Handler error in field trial competitions?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Handler errors

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:59 am

What kind of competition?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 pm

American Field Trials.....overhandling, having too much to say to the dog(not talking about singing.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

STOCKB53

Post by STOCKB53 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:46 pm

Bird dog competition

STOCKB53

Post by STOCKB53 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:51 pm

Never knew that over voice (or singing)to a dog would be an error. Improper touching of a dog during a competition would be a common error.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:17 pm

I don't remember ever hearing a handler over-sing, but I have heard hacking to the point where it interfered with the bracemate. Constant nagging at the dog, even if it isn't loud, is also a mistake. Just zip it and let the dog do his job.

Sometimes handlers don't stay aware of what their bracemate is doing, and that can get both dogs into trouble.

STOCKB53

Post by STOCKB53 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:47 pm

I have had handlers braced with me hacked from the put down all the way through the pickup and judge never mentions that as a impedance.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:08 pm

Every judge is different. :) Sure they follow the rules, but they may see a rule a little differently than the other guy.
Like hockey, some call every trip, some don't.
For every time you think you rec'd an unfair call , you get an undeserved break another day. If a person can't handle that , they won't last long in the trialing world.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:28 pm

STOCKB53 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:47 pm
I have had handlers braced with me hacked from the put down all the way through the pickup and judge never mentions that as a impedance.

That's the breaks.
You can put some distance between you and the loudmouth if the course allows.
You can ask the judge if (s)he sees that you dog is being impeded by the hacking. Just to make a point of course :?
If your dog is looking intimidated, you can pick him up with or without ^^^ Or leave him down since dogs can learn to ignore that kind of thing. If he doesn't look to be affected, beat the other guy's dog to the birds.
You can take the interference as a compliment, since the loudmouth thinks he needs to knock your dog out of the competition.

Yep, it stinks. But like Sharon says, sometimes you get robbed but then sometimes you get a gift.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:44 pm

Not shooting your gun.

STOCKB53

Post by STOCKB53 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 am

I am surprised that "hacking" would be the most common error a handler makes during the course of a trial. Thought it would be I'll timed of touching a dog during a find.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:35 am

STOCKB53 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 am
I am surprised that "hacking" would be the most common error a handler makes during the course of a trial. Thought it would be I'll timed of touching a dog during a find.
Were you wanting common errors or grievious errors? I have seen folks "touching" their dog during birdwork very rarely, but the outcome of such is never good. Over handling, or hacking, occurs fairly often but the outcomes are variable.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:00 pm

Putting a dog in a trial he is not ready or suited for is a mistake I have seen quite often. Losing a dog is not very good and how a handler avoids that is up to them. I have only been involved in AA trials and there a good scout can cure a lot of ills.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Tufts

Post by Tim Tufts » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:32 pm

The error I've seen most often is continuing to move hurriedly to the front when the course takes you into or near a cut and continuing to move puts the dogs behind you.
Stand still and let em hunt the cover.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:55 pm

I think the most common handler error is lack of preparation/planning. Many handlers let their dog loose without a plan for what to do after the first field or first turn. Many handlers do not know the course and how it flows when the wind is in one direction or another.

The pro has intimate knowledge of the grounds, how the course flows, where the cuts are, where the scout can go to hide if necessary, etc.

The pro has the prosecution of the brace planned out in detail, several fields and turns in advance, an has an alternate plan in case the dog does not cooperate or makes a bad turn, somewhere in between.

As an example, the pro also gives the dog plenty of notice when they want it to "go with them" because the pro knows where the turns are, how much lead time to give to the dog and the dog's natural tendencies. A pro will sing to and signal their dog 100 yards or more before they want them to turn so that the dog has time to hear them, come out of warp speed to pay attention, take the direction and actually execute the turn. Most handlers wait until the dog is already IN the turn before they send the dog the first "pay attention" signal which is waaay too late.

If you get the dog's attention early on, it is very likely that the dog will go "with you" in a very smooth, seamless and pleasing manner. If you wait until the dog is into the turn, even if the dog does go the way you want...it ain't gonna be pretty.

Know the course, know the dog and plan ahead.

RayG

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:56 pm

In any animal competition, handler getting too tense and worked up. That telegraphs straight to your dog (or horse, or whatever else you are trying to show)

Get your dog properly trained, relax, and remember that the dog already knows his job. You aren't going to get the dog trained in the parking lot waiting for your turn to work. If the dog is trained, you are just following along for the ride. Calm down and let the dog do his thing.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:10 pm

One I see in NAVHDA is handlers not knowing when to cut their losses and take the bird from the dog. If a dog retrieves the dragged duck and spits it at your feet, pick the duck up, take your 3, you can still get a prize 1. If he spits the duck at your feet and you command him to pick it up you're likely at a 2 if the dog is anything less than perfectly compliant to your correction, and you were at a 3 when he spat it at your feet in the first place.