Hello

Retriever

Hello

Post by Retriever » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:43 pm

My name is Dave and I currently live in work in Baton Rouge as a crime scene investigator. I have mostly been into bow hunting for the last 6 to 7 seasons and have recently decided to transition and put my efforts towards Upland and water fowl (I am a first generation hunter). I never grew up hunting but I had a unyielding love for all things outdoors. Funny how that happens even without the upbringing. I have a four-year-old black lab (Lunar) who I have trained using the gundog Academy videos and he is doing very very well, though in my selfish pursuit of bow hunting I have never taken him out except to the clay range (shame on me I know). According to my research we have a couple of WMA’s with quail on them so I hope to take the lab out for a spin with a 20 gauge this week and see how it goes. While he has never been hunting, the good thing is the big fella seems to basically understand English and will do anything to please me and never leaves my side. Additionally he will fetch anything to hand that you ask him too (though I haven’t tested this with an animal). So I hope to learn a lot here and hopefully I’ll fire up the 20 gauges this weekend and hit the woods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Hello

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. Let me know if I can help you anytime in your use of the forum.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Retriever

Post by Retriever » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:38 pm

Thanks!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. We always got room for a guy who has the right colored lab, investigates crime scenes, and carries a stagecoach gun in to the field.

Garrison

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:00 am

Welcome !

Retriever

Post by Retriever » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:06 am

Garrison wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:17 pm
Welcome to the forum. We always got room for a guy who has the right colored lab, investigates crime scenes, and carries a stagecoach gun in to the field.

Garrison
Ha thanks! Never wanted a black lab before him. He chose me and now I don’t want anything else. Guess that’s par for the course for life there. I’m really excited for my hunt this Sunday. Gun of the left has been in my family for 86 years and is 94 years old in total. It hasn’t been in the field with me in 12 years due to steel shot restrictions (one of the barrels is fixed full), me bow hunting every chance I got, and not really looking into upland hunting regulations. Gun on the right I have never gotten to do anything but pattern it. It’s going to be a blast or a disaster either way it will be better than work.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:40 pm

Welcome. Nice to have you here. I retired as an Evidence Technician in the Duluth, MN Crime Scene Unit 3 years ago. Retired in time for a leg to get gamier all the time and my aim adversely affected, but I still like getting out with the dog after some grouse and pheasant. Best wishes to you and Lunar

LouisianaHunter

Post by LouisianaHunter » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:15 pm

Baton Rouge shouldn’t be too far from some good woodcock hunting. I hear it’s pretty good on some of the public land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:50 am

Welcome to GDF. You'll love this place.

I say it all the time. You know that saying that beer is proof that God loves us? Nope, it's dogs~

...best of luck to you.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Great to have you here! I retired three years ago from the Duluth, MN PD CSI unit (as an evidence tech). Unfortunately I retired just in time for my hunting skills and stamina to take a decline, but I still love to get out. Best wishes to you and Lunar in your time afield