New pup and separation anxiety training

mlese92

New pup and separation anxiety training

Post by mlese92 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:51 am

Hi All,

I have had my pup, Maverick for about a week now, and he is progressing well! He started sleeping through the night in his crate after only 2 nights! The biggest issues I am have right now is potty training and getting him to play by himself in his playpen for portions of the day.

For the potty training portion, I do the typical bathroom break after any naps and usually about 15 minutes or so of playing and/or drinking water. I use a bell but he still does not go to the door ever and it might be because it's been too cold out for him and he isn't adjusted to it. Any advice? Or is it just a matter of time before he gets it.

For the playpen, I have it situated right behind me so he can see me and I have some of his favorite chew toys and puzzle games in there. Today he started playing and I got about 15-20 minutes or so before the need to howl/cry to be picked up arose. I've started just taking him out every time he cries so he associates going out with that and not that I am just picking him up to soothe him. I understand this may take some time as well but if there is any advice or tips, I am open to trying different things.

Lastly, here are some pictures of my little guy to enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New pup and separation anxiety training

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Makes me want a pup- almost. :)

Based on my experience a pup will want to be with you if you are around. He's not going to want to stay in a playpen.

You always have to think about what you are reinforcing. " I've started just taking him out every time he cries so he associates going out with that and not that I am just picking him up to soothe him." quote

What are you actually reinforcing? You are saying, "If you cry I'll pick you up."

When he cries for attention - IGNORE.
Take him out when he is silent.

In fact , do everything when he is silent- feeding etc.

He'll learn fast that crying gets him no where.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:25 pm

Excellent advice, Sharon! You nailed it.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:28 pm

I like to put the crate and the pen out of view. I also put the pup outside in the kennel. As Sharon suggests calm dogs get attention, whining gets ignored. It’s kind of a balancing act at first because you have to know when it’s time to go out and when it’s just wanting attention.

Nothing worse than a dog that whines and cries when they are separated from you. Now is the time to nip it in the bud and get them used to it. Let them cry now until they are quiet and then give them attention, or deal with it for the next decade. I want my dog to be okay with being in the house with us, or out of the house alone in the kennel.

BTW, great looking pup, and you may want to look in the background of your pictures to see what you left on the table before posting. :wink:

Garrison
Last edited by Garrison on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:34 pm

LOL Now you made me look. Hey, it's legal in Canada. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:38 pm

Sharon wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:34 pm
LOL Now you made me look. Hey, it's legal in Canada. :)
The post is about anxiety! :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:22 pm

Right. Let's not go off topic. Hey!!! You made me look. :lol: ( Mercy. Too much Covid boredom.)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:06 pm

OP,
For the housebreaking part, don't wait until the last minute so you have to carry him out. Right after a meal, or a water, or a few minutes of playing walk him to the door with some happytime "Wanna go out?" stuff and ring your bell. Go out with him and do a little more happytime so he thinks it's fun. I've always used a command for pups doing their business ( I use Hurry up) so my pups hear "Outside! All right! Now hurry up!" As they sniff around getting ready to let loose, another hurry up or two so they get the connection.

It's a pain to do in the winter, but that's what happens when you get a winter puppy :D

You'll appreciate having your dog relieve himself on command sometime when you're standing in the rain with the dog on a lead at a rest area and you really really need to get back on the road. Or something similar.

I've never expected my baby puppies to alert me when they need to go out; they just aren't mature enough to foresee the need and then to hold it until they get someone's attention. But sooner or later it all comes together and they let me know.

Patience. Persistence. :D

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:15 pm

shags wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:06 pm
OP,
For the housebreaking part, don't wait until the last minute so you have to carry him out. Right after a meal, or a water, or a few minutes of playing walk him to the door with some happytime "Wanna go out?" stuff and ring your bell. Go out with him and do a little more happytime so he thinks it's fun. I've always used a command for pups doing their business ( I use Hurry up) so my pups hear "Outside! All right! Now hurry up!" As they sniff around getting ready to let loose, another hurry up or two so they get the connection.

It's a pain to do in the winter, but that's what happens when you get a winter puppy :D

You'll appreciate having your dog relieve himself on command sometime when you're standing in the rain with the dog on a lead at a rest area and you really really need to get back on the road. Or something similar.

I've never expected my baby puppies to alert me when they need to go out; they just aren't mature enough to foresee the need and then to hold it until they get someone's attention. But sooner or later it all comes together and they let me know.

Patience. Persistence. :D
I like “hurry up”, it always makes me laugh when I see a big guy decked out in camo with a bruiser of a dog telling him to “go potty”. Cute when it’s a pup, little short sighted in the forethought department.

mlese92

Post by mlese92 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 pm

Sharon wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:22 pm
Right. Let's not go off topic. Hey!!! You made me look. :lol: ( Mercy. Too much Covid boredom.)
Hahaha it was a friends house! Completely forgot that was in there 😂.

But in all seriousness, thank you all for the tips. He's been picking things up quick so I know eventually he will get the connections. I certainly don't want to reinforce the crying as a way of attention so I'll move the pen out of sight.

And I have admittedly been using "go potty" but I think I will have to switch to the hurry up command as it ages much better lol.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:37 pm

mlese92 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 pm
And I have admittedly been using "go potty" but I think I will have to switch to the hurry up command as it ages much better lol.
Not that I ever gave it much thought having kennel dogs, but I think Git'er Done might be a good command. :D

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:56 am

Good advice in here . I figured I would type this response for the heck of it and add I wanted to see what else could be found in the photo :D :D You kids today :D

Nice looking pup ! enjoy & take your time as it goes to quick.

Retriever

Post by Retriever » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:15 am

Pretty pup.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:17 pm

slistoe wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:37 pm
mlese92 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 pm
Not that I ever gave it much thought having kennel dogs, but I think Git'er Done might be a good command. :D
That’s great!

Retriever

Post by Retriever » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:25 pm

If it works and it’s affective who cares what the command is

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:34 pm

They were just having some fun Sir.

mlese92

Post by mlese92 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:25 pm

Sharon wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:34 pm
They were just having some fun Sir.
All in fun! He is already learning that getting quiet in his play pen earns him attention. Thank God he learns fast.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm

Most pups do learn fast; that's why getting it right is important. Hope you are also working on socialization.