Fur Hound

Garrison

Fur Hound

Post by Garrison » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 pm

Do your dogs catch rabbits?

I let the dogs out for a quick stretch this afternoon on the acreage behind my house. At 10 years old, my GSP is still snagging those suckers and delivering to my feet. Sometimes I think he is really in it for the fur, and all the bird pointing is just a side deal. Glad my Setter is not as interested.

weimdogman

Re: Fur Hound

Post by weimdogman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:51 am

Years ago my friend who's farms we hunted on would bring his older brothers farm dog along to pheasant hunt with us. Dogs name was Cocoa and he we was lab cross heinz57 chocolate in color.
Dog was a fantastic retriever who would bring the bird back and literally throw it at you on his way back out to hunt. Cripples got interesting! Dog was death on rabbits. Cotton tails almost always failed to escape and Cocoa would devour them in minutes. Large jackrabbits were his nemesis and a real pain in the "bleep" for us as we would hear "Cocoa come" for 5 minutes.
I told my friend I can trash break that dog so he wont chase rabbits. He replied I am not sure if he doesn't catch rabbits if he would have anything to eat.