An Unfortunate Miss

Walk213

An Unfortunate Miss

Post by Walk213 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:21 am

Missing sucks. Missing your only opportunity at a rooster on the final steps in a 13 mile walk is deflating. The negative feeling is amplified when your bird dog does everything right, and you fail to deliver. I have had a good season with the shotgun. Almost everything that I have aimed at has dropped. This whiff hurt. 

https://youtu.be/w3K_OaAFEPw 

BTW: Eastern, Colorado landowners need rain this spring and summer

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

granite7

An Unfortunate Miss

Post by granite7 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:39 am

It always amazes me how quickly these birds fly! It looks like he went with the wind and I’d guess he was 30 yards out before you even fired a shot. Neat video!

I will definitely be praying for this drought to end. I hope you had a good season. Thanks for the video!
Last edited by granite7 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

deseeker

Re: An Unfortunate Miss

Post by deseeker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:40 am

I hate it when that happens :!: :(

Walk213

Post by Walk213 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:58 pm

granite7 wrote:It always amazes me how quickly these birds fly! It looks like he went with the wind and I’d guess he was 30 yards out before you even fired a shot. Neat video!

I will definitely be praying for this drought to end. I hope you had a good season. Thanks for the video!
That bird surprised me. I thought that the bird was on the move and Echo was trailing him. Wrong. Bad positioning lead to a poor shot. Thanks for watching.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:52 pm

I hear you. been happening to me more and more these last few years (bum leg)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:09 pm

MNTonester wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:52 pm
I hear you. been happening to me more and more these last few years (bum leg)
Yeah, seems like birds that I would get squared away to and a bead on before they were 20 yards out I am now pulling the trigger on at 35 yards from an awkward stance. Not sure how I managed to get so slow and clumsy.

granite7

Post by granite7 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:13 pm

I didn’t mean to imply that you were slow or old (I’m quickly getting to be both, myself!). I just meant that bird caught the wind and was out of sight in a hurry.

Walk213

Post by Walk213 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:39 am

granite7 wrote:I didn’t mean to imply that you were slow or old (I’m quickly getting to be both, myself!). I just meant that bird caught the wind and was out of sight in a hurry.
No offense taken. I am old. My reaction time seems to be ok (identify, mount swing, trigger). My vision sometimes is off, and the walk had me gassed. Thinking back, I did not process "rooster" when the bird jumped. The glare from the sun had me pause. That allowed him to get a few wing beats in. Then the wind moved him fast. My first shot was 2 feet behind him. After that it was pointless.

granite7

Post by granite7 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:24 am

Walk213 wrote:My vision sometimes is off, and the walk had me gassed. Thinking back, I did not process "rooster" when the bird jumped. The glare from the sun had me pause. That allowed him to get a few wing beats in. Then the wind moved him fast. My first shot was 2 feet behind him. After that it was pointless.

That about sums up my struggle. It has been taking me too long to identify the roosters, so my shot is often at the last minute. Some presentations are just too difficult for me to judge, so I pass on the shot. My hearing is also blown away, so I don’t always hear the flush as quickly as I should. Shoot, I’m still in my 40s! Hah!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:46 pm

I joined a gun club and shot skeet every week. Highly recommend it. All of a sudden the birds will appear to be in slow motion. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:39 pm

I never miss! I just choose to practice point and release from time to time. :lol:

Sharon is on the money, some range time with the hunting rig and load you plan to shoot can really help the timing.

Walk213

Post by Walk213 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:47 am

Sharon wrote:I joined a gun club and shot skeet every week. Highly recommend it. All of a sudden the birds will appear to be in slow motion. :)
That is a solid plan. I just need to make the time. My early season practice at the range did work well for the most of the year.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:29 am

The good thing is you get everything you go hunting for except a bird to eat. To me that is the least reason I go hunting and the bird lives to fight another day..........Cj

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:42 am

cjhills wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:29 am
The good thing is you get everything you go hunting for except a bird to eat. To me that is the least reason I go hunting and the bird lives to fight another day..........Cj
Very true. On most days I enjoy taking my blank pistol more than a shotgun, a lot lighter to carry anyway.

Unless I’m going for chukar, those little "bleep" have it coming!

Garrison

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Garrison wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:39 pm
I never miss! I just choose to practice point and release from time to time. :lol:
I like that. I've got to remember that for next season

birds

Post by birds » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Well. If I wrung my hands every time I missed a couple shots on a bird I wouldn't be able to hold a gun, much less type on a keyboard. It'd be pretty boring to hit every shot.

Agreed on the catch and release hunting. As a pointing dog newbie I am finding I am enjoying the extended season a pointing dog almost seems to necessitate. Great for scouting new country too. In the end by the time the shooting winds down I'm ready to stop killing them anyway. Its great to know I can hunt them again and again if I have a plausible reason to keep going. And now I do :D

Walk213

Post by Walk213 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:16 am

birds wrote:Well. If I wrung my hands every time I missed a couple shots on a bird I wouldn't be able to hold a gun, much less type on a keyboard. It'd be pretty boring to hit every shot.

Agreed on the catch and release hunting. As a pointing dog newbie I am finding I am enjoying the extended season a pointing dog almost seems to necessitate. Great for scouting new country too. In the end by the time the shooting winds down I'm ready to stop killing them anyway. Its great to know I can hunt them again and again if I have a plausible reason to keep going. And now I do :D
Self flagilation is core to my personality. Failure is tough for me to digest especially when I have others relying on me.

It is time to transition to training with Josey. We will restart sometime over the next few weeks.