How do you choose a breeder?

Takem

How do you choose a breeder?

Post by Takem » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:13 pm

My beloved lab is 14 years old on New Years. We’ll be putting him down this weekend. He was just a cheap pup in a newspaper ad. He was a good dog though. I’m not sure where to start to find another one. I’m near reading (southeast) PA. Most importantly looking for family dog since I have a 13 month old baby who adores my lab. I hunt pheasants and waterfowl. I’d like one on the smaller side. Any suggestions on breeders or the best way to research them?

crackerd

Re: How do you choose a breeder?

Post by crackerd » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 am

If you're looking for a field-bred Lab, most of the time you choose pedigree over people (breeder). Sometimes - if you know the retriever games from the inside - you're able to work both into your equation for picking a new pup. You could do worse than go to the Duck Hunter's Refuge Forums - specifically the Gundog Forum - and post the message you shared here seeking leads on a new pup. So you know, lots (and lots) of reputable Lab breeders in a 100-mile radius of Reading - in all directions.

Good luck,

MG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: How do you choose a breeder?

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:54 pm

I choose by reputation. I talk to people whose opinion I respect. Due to a bad experience, I never pick from a good looking magazine ad . :roll: (Give me a break, I was new at the game. )
Pedigree is important to me for about a 2 generation period only.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett