English Pointer Breeder-MidWest

PoorMansWrangler

English Pointer Breeder-MidWest

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on an English pointer breeder in the Midwest. I’m in Ohio, and will be looking for a pup in the next year, year and a half. Currently have a heavily dk breed shorthair, who I run in NAVHDA and AKC, wanting a dog with a little more run in it. Hunt mainly preserve birds in Ohio, with yearly trips to Michigan and out West. Prefer bigger dogs (my GSP is around 70) with a bigger run. I would be willing to travel about 6 hours each way max for pickup. Thanks a ton!

birddogger2

Re: English Pointer Breeder-MidWest

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:58 pm

PMW -

I just acquired a late July puppy by Waybetter Rocky out of Steel City Karen. My son also got a pup out of the same litter. These pups are full of fire and desire and they absolutely WANT to be inside your coat with you. George or Mary Tracy(Summerhill Kennels) would be the contact for future Rocky litters and pups. My understanding that Rocky's littermate Waybetter Billy is cut from the same cloth. His owner is Tom Brigman and he is in North Carolina. Both are top tier shooting dog champions and their breeding is deep and solid.

I can't say what the future holds, but both of these Rocky pups are some of the very boldest I have ever seen, while also showing a tremendous amount of desire to be with you and please you. I am excited... and it takes a bit to get me excited about a puppy anymore.

There should be several litters hitting the ground in the first part of the year. Start making calls. Matt Basilone(Sunrise kennels) has some very nice dogs in his string also. He may have some litters planned as well. If he has something planned out of Urban's Fantasy, I'd look close at that too.

Good luck on your search.

RayG

mask

Post by mask » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:32 pm

You might also try Steve Lamphere of Field of dreams pointers in MO. He may very well have what you are looking for.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:02 pm

PoorMansWrangler wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:36 pm
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on an English pointer breeder in the Midwest. I’m in Ohio, and will be looking for a pup in the next year, year and a half. Currently have a heavily dk breed shorthair, who I run in NAVHDA and AKC, wanting a dog with a little more run in it. Hunt mainly preserve birds in Ohio, with yearly trips to Michigan and out West. Prefer bigger dogs (my GSP is around 70) with a bigger run. I would be willing to travel about 6 hours each way max for pickup. Thanks a ton!
Its going to be tough to find a big running 70lbs dog. That's just not how it works. You will probably be looking at 60lbs range.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:38 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:02 pm
PoorMansWrangler wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:36 pm
Hey everyone,
Its going to be tough to find a big running 70lbs dog. That's just not how it works. You will probably be looking at 60lbs range.
PMW -

Ryan is right about not finding a 70#, big running pointer. Over the years I have had a couple of big pointers, but none were 70#...more like 60# plus. Today, most of the big pointers I see are in the 50# range.

The actual weight is somewhat irrelevant. Of those who want a big dog, what most want is a tall dog so that you can see it in taller grass cover a long way off and a longer dog so that they have the stride to take them out there. A heavier dog won't last as long in the field as a dog that is thinner and leaner, simply because it is carrying around that much more weight. Also a heavier dog will pound its joints harder and be somewhat less nimble, leading to increased opportunity for injury.

RayG

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:18 pm

I think arguements about size are often unrealistic- a bigger dog probably has a bigger stride so they take fewer steps to cover the same distance. Bigger dogs have bigger bones ,joints,muscle to aid them.

I am not claiming there is never a problem related to size just that is usually singular to that dog or linage.

I like bigger Weims only because they are more in line with the breed standard. Those 55lb. male dogs dont do a "bleep" thing for me.

mask

Post by mask » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:19 pm

As far as size goes it depends on what and where you hunt. We are talking about pointers here but if you hunt very steep very rocky country smaller usually is better.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:03 pm

I’ll take a 45-55lb long legged, smooth going male every time where I hunt, and I have owned large and small.

Garrison

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:41 am

weimdogman wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:18 pm
I think arguements about size are often unrealistic- a bigger dog probably has a bigger stride so they take fewer steps to cover the same distance. Bigger dogs have bigger bones ,joints,muscle to aid them.

I am not claiming there is never a problem related to size just that is usually singular to that dog or linage.

I like bigger Weims only because they are more in line with the breed standard. Those 55lb. male dogs dont do a "bleep" thing for me.
It's too much dog for the body to move. We arent talking can they do it, we are talking about how long it can be sustained. A 70lb dog will not be able to go as far, along, as fast, and quickly recover like a 60 or 50 pound dog can.
The first day the dog will be fine, the second day you will notice a difference from the day before. By the time the 3rd day comes around you dog will be wore out and thays assuming you have an excellent workout routine for the dog. More than likely a 70lb pointer is considerably over weight and you can move what happens on day 3 to day 2.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:23 am

How many 800 pound horses have won the Kentucky Derby.......Cj

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:58 am

The Kentucky Derby is a mile and a quarter. How many Percherons or warmbloods have won the Tevis Cup?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:28 pm

I have no idea what a Tevis Cup is or who won it. It is likely not the size that would keep a Percheron from winning. It is the design......Cj

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:52 pm

A 50ib dog that weighs 50ibs surely can go longer then a 50ib dog that weighs 60/70 ibs.

I hunt in cover weight helps to bust thru cover. I know my 75ib weim can hunt more thick stuff then my 50ib gsp. No my weim cant outrun that gsp but does hunt as long and hard.

For almost all but a few,you will give out way before a in shape dog will. They do have foot problems like we do,so that is prob the most limiting factor

mask

Post by mask » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:46 pm

How in the world did we go from suggesting a pointer kennel for a member to this inane chatter. One might consider posting another thread. PS. The tevis cup is the premier endurance race for horses. 100 miles of misery for man and beast.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:35 pm

LOL.... thank you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:31 pm

mask wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:46 pm
How in the world did we go from suggesting a pointer kennel for a member to this inane chatter.
It wasn't hard at all. :lol: :lol:

I'm actually surprised that no one began extolling the virtues of alternate breeds...YET!! :twisted: :roll: :mrgreen:

Just having some fun on a cold, rainy miserable night after getting soaked taking care of the dogs, horses and bringing up the garbage. Now for that glass of Grand Marnier.

RayG