How many have had their dog take out coyote?

weimdogman

How many have had their dog take out coyote?

Post by weimdogman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:26 pm

Seen a post on fb where guy says his gsp took out the coyote that charged it? Dogs of somewhat equal size seldom fight to the death and if they do its usually a bloody mess. What do you guys think?

BigTub

Re: How many have had their dog take out coyote?

Post by BigTub » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:46 pm

I would think a GSP is double the size of a coyote. Coyotes are 20-50 lb according to Britannica and a GWP is 50-70 lb. But no I have not.

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 am

I'd have no trouble believing it. If it were a small coyote and a big dog... I could see the dog handling it for sure. Seems extremely reasonable if it were a breed with high fur drive like some of the DD's.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:02 am

I had a shorthair that would grab them on the top of their neck and bite down. You would hear the crunch and the coyote would go limp. Good with everything but yotes.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:19 am

One of my females killed a coyote when I was hunting in Montana. The dogs corner him so he could not escape. The coyote laid on it's back and snapped it's teeth no fight at all. None of the other dogs offered to help her they just watched. I was quite concerned when it happened because the coyote looked twice her size but it was mostly fur. once she got it's neck it was game over. I thought she might catch some disease or fleas, but she was fine.
Coyote packs might get dogs but one on one I don't think so.......Cj

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:04 am

I lost an old GSP to a pair of coyotes at the trap club years ago. 2 GSP and 2 coyotes the younger dog could not defend the old dog. They sure made a mess of him in very short time.

Grant

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Had a GSP that was death on coyotes and coons. Liked to fight other dogs too. Sent a few other dogs to the vet and sent even more running for the hills. Her nickname was our German Shorthaired Pitbull. Just born mean imho. She had to get stitched and glued up a few times but I personally saw her kill two and she’d routinely bring the coons she killed at our trash pile back to the porch. We had a huge property and generally let her run loose so I have always suspected her body count was higher.