My Observations from the Field - 12/6/20

Walk213

My Observations from the Field - 12/6/20

Post by Walk213 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:18 pm

We hunted a different part of Eastern, Colorado yesterday. I had planned to hunt both public and private land. Unfortunately, when I drove by the WIAs, there was nothing to hunt unless earthworms were my quarry. 

We also went to a few favorite private spots. Three years ago we would see 20 or more birds in each field on every walk during the season. Yesterday we saw less than 10 birds the entire day, and I was fortunate to take 1. 

The 2 year drought has taken a toll on farmers, ranchers and the land they work. Colorado needs a lot of rain in 2021.

https://youtu.be/gyhKz8mY-j0

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

granite7

Re: My Observations from the Field - 12/6/20

Post by granite7 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:38 am

I’ve been seeing the same thing in Colorado. The past couple years have been very sparse. Spring hail storms, yet not enough rain to produce good grass. For what it’s worth, western Kansas seems the same this year.

We have been hunting irrigated corners. Lucky to bring home 1 bird also.

My season is now mostly over because of this little guy.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202012 ... 0cef6e.jpg[/IMG]

Walk213

Post by Walk213 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:27 pm

granite7 wrote:I’ve been seeing the same thing in Colorado. The past couple years have been very sparse. Spring hail storms, yet not enough rain to produce good grass. For what it’s worth, western Kansas seems the same this year.

We have been hunting irrigated corners. Lucky to bring home 1 bird also.

My season is now mostly over because of this little guy.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202012 ... 0cef6e.jpg[/IMG]
Great pictures and congrats on the puppy! We have a 17 month old that I am not going to hunt this season. She and I need to work some more before we get her on wild birds.

I agree with all of your thoughts. I am disappointed to hear about Kansas as I was going to give it a go in January. Bummer. I have a buddy there today hunting 2 GSPs on public. I am waiting to hear the report.

Relying on a bit of help from mother nature. Let's hope for no hail, and a lot of rain.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

granite7

Post by granite7 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Walk213 wrote:
granite7 wrote:Great pictures and congrats on the puppy! We have a 17 month old that I am not going to hunt this season. She and I need to work some more before we get her on wild birds.

I agree with all of your thoughts. I am disappointed to hear about Kansas as I was going to give it a go in January. Bummer. I have a buddy there today hunting 2 GSPs on public. I am waiting to hear the report.

Relying on a bit of help from mother nature. Let's hope for no hail, and a lot of rain.

Good luck.

Thanks! I’m very excited about the pup. I haven’t trained a bird dog before, so it is nice to hear of someone else that isn’t rushing a young dog to hunt. I’m doing a lot of reading and watching YouTube. He’ll be ready when he’s ready. I would really like to get him an HRC Started title before fall. It’s ok if it doesn’t happen, but it is a goal to keep us moving toward.

My girl in the photo above is my baby. We’re joined at the hip. She loves, loves to be outdoors with me. I love having her along. While she doesn’t really hunt, I see more birds than walking alone.

If you go far enough into central Kansas, hunting will be better. My brother-in-law limited out on opening weekend in a different area. I was short on time, so I didn’t scout ahead or drive as far across. All we hunt is WIHA and CRP.

Walk213

Post by Walk213 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 pm

granite7 wrote:
Walk213 wrote:
granite7 wrote:Great pictures and congrats on the puppy! We have a 17 month old that I am not going to hunt this season. She and I need to work some more before we get her on wild birds.

Good luck.

Thanks! I’m very excited about the pup. I haven’t trained a bird dog before, so it is nice to hear of someone else that isn’t rushing a young dog to hunt. I’m doing a lot of reading and watching YouTube. He’ll be ready when he’s ready. I would really like to get him an HRC Started title before fall. It’s ok if it doesn’t happen, but it is a goal to keep us moving toward.

My girl in the photo above is my baby. We’re joined at the hip. She loves, loves to be outdoors with me. I love having her along. While she doesn’t really hunt, I see more birds than walking alone.

If you go far enough into central Kansas, hunting will be better. My brother-in-law limited out on opening weekend in a different area. I was short on time, so I didn’t scout ahead or drive as far across. All we hunt is WIHA and CRP.

Your girl is a looking dog. Echo and I are same. We are so close that I feel bad for Josey.

Look up Standing Stone Kennels on YouTube. They are responsive to questions.

I will hunt near Nebraska tomorrow. Hopefully, cows have not been let into the corners yet. I hope we can scratch up a limit. Not sure they got snow where we will be hiking?

The Central KS idea is a good one, but I will have to do some research.

Thank you.

granite7

Post by granite7 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:26 pm

Walk213 wrote:Your girl is a looking dog. Echo and I are same. We are so close that I feel bad for Josey.

Look up Standing Stone Kennels on YouTube. They are responsive to questions.

I will hunt near Nebraska tomorrow. Hopefully, cows have not been let into the corners yet. I hope we can scratch up a limit. Not sure they got snow where we will be hiking?

The Central KS idea is a good one, but I will have to do some research.

Thank you.

Thanks for the tip. I have been watching Standing Stone and I Really enjoy their stuff.

If you’re crossing into Kansas on the northern side, I can save you some time. I hunted a bunch of Rawlins county and I wouldn’t make another trip there this year.