Anyone using the newest Garmin?

weimdogman

Anyone using the newest Garmin?

Post by weimdogman » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:43 pm

I believe it's the alpha 200i ? Saw a video on it and it appears they have been listening to the complaints regarding the alpha being awkward to train with.

ex28

Re: Anyone using the newest Garmin?

Post by ex28 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:46 pm

I saw it but haven't tried it yet. I have the 100 and the Pro 550+ and I don't think I ever use the 100. It's just not quite there design wise for me to use it in the field hunting wild birds on public land. The Pro 550+ is perfect thought I do wish it was a bit shorter but that's just me nit picking.

Too bad they don't have a trade in program or something. I'd be willing to give it a try but not adding yet another controller that I may not use.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:23 am

Ricwoodard wrote:I saw it but haven't tried it yet. I have the 100 and the Pro 550+ and I don't think I ever use the 100. It's just not quite there design wise for me to use it in the field hunting wild birds on public land. The Pro 550+ is perfect thought I do wish it was a bit shorter but that's just me nit picking.

Too bad they don't have a trade in program or something. I'd be willing to give it a try but not adding yet another controller that I may not use.
I agree. I have the 550 and 550+ and they are both great. Only minor complaint I have is that I do toggle to accessory by accident pretty frequently. After a bit I notice the lights are on and the dog isn’t responding. But that might just be me.

I think ONX maps on your phone has pretty much rendered handheld gps obsolete. Especially with the ability to download large sections for use offline. I am a total ONX fanboy, it’s completely changed the way I hunt and exposed me to spots I never would have found otherwise.

The 550 plus gives me all the info I need from the collar and seems much easier to use for dog functions. He wears the 550 mini with the bark function all day everyday and it is a total game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:11 pm

Anyone had a chance to try it?

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:38 pm

I have the Pro 550+ and the Alpha 100 (recently aquired). The Pro 550+ is nicer to carry, and easier to use in the field for sure. I carry my phone with OnX, so the mapping on the alpha isn't really a selling point for me. The only thing I do really like from the Alpha so far is the dog stats. If there was a way to have the simplicity of the 550+ that also tracked dog stats I'd sell both of mine and jump on that one.

Sounds like the Alpha 200 is a bit improved over the 100. And the InReach functionality is a nice addition. But for someone who already has an Alpha 100 and an InReach, like myself, I don't currently see a selling point for the 200.

tops911

Post by tops911 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:51 am

I really wanted the Alpha 200 but not bing OnX compatible made it undesirable. I used the Alpha 100 with the OnX chip in it. I have OnX on my phone but too many places in Montana don't have cell coverage, the Alpha 200 with the in reach built in sounded ideal. I know several guys that would have bought one but the OnX issue has prevented everyone I know that wanted it from buying one.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:51 am

I just got a 200 and it has been impressive so far. Easy to set up and “training buttons” make it easier for corrections, tones, vibrations etc. rather than having to use the touch screen. I haven’t used the 100 so I don’t if if it was also a feature, but the on point alert options allowed me to selected a tone or “alert” I can actually hear. The onx chip issue was disappointing but it is what it is. I still think if running just one dog at a time the 550 plus is the simplest and best option out there though

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:44 pm

I went from the Alpha 100 to the 200. I like the larger screen. I like the fact that the training buttons are not locked when you lock the screen. I like the fact that you can toggle between different training button setups while the screen is locked. The maps and nav functions are cleaner. In reach is a great bonus when hunting alone.

I am not a huge fan of the training buttons themselves, in that they are recessed so its a bit harder to hit them. I am also not used to the settings as the stimulation appears to be different from the Alpha 100. But I sold my Alpha 100 to subsidize the new unit and I'm sure I'll continue to get used to it. It is NOT for the techno phobic.