Does anyone's dog react differently to different ecollars?

BigK75

Does anyone's dog react differently to different ecollars?

Post by BigK75 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:28 am

I have two ecollars that I use. The Garmin 550+ and the Dogtra Arc. The Dogtra Arc which I believe is made for smaller dogs like Brittany's works great. I have the setting on 8 (total of 127 settings) and he reacts immediately to come. Anything above 20 and he yelps so I don't go higher then 12 or so. I use the Dogtra for walks and the Gamin Pro for hunting. I have noticing lately that the Garmin is not working properly or maybe he is just ignoring it when we are hunting. I can put he the Garmin on 6 which is the highest setting and he will ignore Low, Medium but reacts to High. He also reacts to high on 4 and 5 intensity but ignores the low and medium on each of those settings. The problem is that he yelps at high for 4, 5, and 6. I cannot figure out if its just the collar or maybe the Garmin is malfunctioning. My dog ranges to far which I am trying to correct so I need the GPS but at this point I am considering selling the Garmin because he just does not react to it like I expect. Next time I go hunting I am going to take the both and test them both at the same time and see if maybe I can figure why he will not react to the Garmin on lower settings. Both have the same length prongs.

birddogger2

Re: Does anyone's dog react differently to different ecollars?

Post by birddogger2 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 am

Big K -

The easiest and most effective way to test whether the collar is working properly is to do it on yourself.

Put it on charge for a full 8 hours, drag out the instruction manual and go through the steps.

A level 1 stim(out of 6) should be barely discernible if you have the prongs in your hand, on your palm. If you cannot feel them, or barely feel them on your palm, touch the prongs to the back of one hand. you should be able to feel the stim then. Obce you can feel the stim, I would check out the stim on momentary and continuous at level 1 and then do the individual buttons for 1/3 and 2/3 level stim and then press them at the same time for the full level. You should be able to feel the difference between the various settings.

Then I would do a momentary on level 2, again on your palm, then 3 then 4. You should be able to feel the increases. Level 5 and 6 are pretty uncomfortable, even on your palm.

Go through the modes(momentary and continuous) and the 1/3and 2/3 mode selections at each intensity level. Then you will know if the unit is functioning properly.

There may be something wrong with your 550. There may be something wrong with how you are set up. Could be loose wire or connection that makes it work sometimes and not others. It could be that you are not activating the collar sometimes, because the on button on some units can be difficult to activate. I don't know. All i can say is if you dog is not reacting to the higher level stims...something ain't right. If it is reacting sometimes and not others...again, something ain't right. A high hard one (5 or 6) should stop a dog in its tracks and I can tell you from personal experience, a 5 or 6 STINGS! You need the collar to work properly and reliably or you will confuse the dog.

FWIW, I routinely check my e-collar on myself, just to make sure it is working. I can feel a level 1 stim on my neck very readily and yes i know what a high level stim feels like on my neck. Did it once, many years ago and that was quite enough.

RayG

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:25 pm

The Garmin tt15 collar is so big my weims can hardly wear it. I cant imagine one fitting a brittany.
Now I dont know about the ttmini and how it wears.

I saw a video explaining the low medium high settings- if I understand it the shock is the same for each just occurs more rapidly for medium and high.
Now as number settings increase the shock gets ,I call it,hotter.

Dogs definitely react differently to collars. My one dog doesn't acknowledge the collar until his head shakes. I have asked the pro trainers about this and all say the same thing, that's the way some dogs are.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:21 am

"The easiest and most effective way to test whether the collar is working properly is to do it on yourself."

... ONLY DO NOT GIVE THE TRANSMITTER/CONTROLLER TO YOUR WIFE !!!!!!