I can't wait

birddogger2

I can't wait

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:02 pm

I purchased a new pup this year. Did something kinda different.

Most of my pups are bred with field trials in mind, so they are bred in the first part of the year, January through about March or April. This puts them at 6-8 months old in the fall, and gives me all summer to do yardwork . Oct/Nov is when I like to start introducing them to birds and such.

The fall also gives me an opportunity, if I time it right, to get the youngster into some woodcock during the fall flight...AFTER I have gotten the dog started on birds in launchers and have the dog understanding that it is supposed to stop and stand.

This year I could not nail down a pup with the breeding I wanted, in the first part of the year. I found out about a breeding that got me excited, but they were going to be late summer pups. Turns out the litter dropped at the end of July, so the pup I got is only 12 weeks old now. I picked a female.

I am just really starting on the yardwork and am actually pushing it a little bit. I generally do not start heel/whoa drills until about 16 weeks, but she has had the pigging string on her already this week. She is not a fan of the heel/whoa drill at this time, but she is getting used to it. She is recalling pretty well in the yard(she really likes treats, and bribery works for me).

She runs fine dragging a thin checkcord. She will occasionally take the cord in her mouth and take herself for a walk. I have had a few leash carrying dogs and they have all been pretty smart and quick on the uptake, so I'm hopeful there. I actually have an assistant with the lead work. My male dog has taken a liking to the pup and plays with her, even though she bites. He will grab the checkcord and drag her around while i am watching the show. He is actually quite a bit rougher on the pup than i would be...but she takes it from him. It is hilarious to watch. After he is done with her, she leads for me really well.

But I digress.

I cannot wait for the first woodcock flight to come through. I have showed the pup exactly one pigeon so far, and she wanted to chase it...bad. If I cannot hook up with a woodcock flight, I'll just have to plant a bunch of quail at the club and let her have at it... probably after Thanksgiving. I don't think she will be ready for the launcher work at five months old, but I may do some stop to flush drills instead. I'll have to see how she progresses.

Can't wait.

Anyone else out there with a youngster who will go through their first bird season this year? What is your plan?

RayG

Max2

Re: I can't wait

Post by Max2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:55 am

RayG-
I always enjoy following what you have to offer. Also congrats on your new pup ! I have a little one on the ground every day in pursuit of woodcock and the little guy is doing good . What a difference between planted birds and the wild ones. At this point I don't discourage him pointing the other wild birds we have been encountering either in the woodcock tangles. Robins,chippy's and the like. My work will end soon and I plan on working him a lot between now and the November firearm deer season. I hope to catch some flights and croak a couple over his points .

With this pup I have been trying something a little different in that I am letting all the puppy out .Meaning if he wants to play and monkey " bleep" around a little I've been letting him .Within reason of course. These creatures are way smarter then some give them credit for.

Enjoy your new pup I look forward to your posts !

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:54 pm

You need to give that male assistant a pay - how about some extra cookies? :)
Woodcock have pretty much left Ontario so you should see them soon.

I'm jealous of your opportunity to have a new pup, Ray. Health problems doesn't permit me to do so.
I have to just enjoy hearing about your pup.
Don't forget- she's 12 weeks old. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:26 pm

I'm jealous, Ray :mrgreen:

I've had January pups, summer pups, and Thanksgiving pups. Over the course of 13 or so years, it doesn't make a bit of difference when their birthday is. Well, maybe a little bit, for AKC trials depending on your state's trial seasons, you get either 2 puppy seasons and one derby season, or one puppy season and two derbies. Who cares? :lol: Broke dog stakes are what count.

Best wishes and inhale that puppy breath while you can.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:56 pm

I got an 8 wk old GWP at the end of July this year. She make and honest retrieve on a pheasant at a local WMA on Friday. My Lab/GWP, Puck, put two roosters up in a thick brush patch. (I'm not sure how much pointing was involved but I'm glad I didn't have to wade in). I shot both of them (I know miracles never cease). Puck went for the one that he saw fall near the river. The other one landed in tall grass off to my side. As Puck came back with the bird I got ready to send him out for the other one. I looked down and there was Lucy' my 5 month old GWP at my feet with the second bird. Her first honest retrieve.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 pm

fishvik wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:56 pm
I got an 8 wk old GWP at the end of July this year. She make and honest retrieve on a pheasant at a local WMA on Friday. My Lab/GWP, Puck, put two roosters up in a thick brush patch. (I'm not sure how much pointing was involved but I'm glad I didn't have to wade in). I shot both of them (I know miracles never cease). Puck went for the one that he saw fall near the river. The other one landed in tall grass off to my side. As Puck came back with the bird I got ready to send him out for the other one. I looked down and there was Lucy' my 5 month old GWP at my feet with the second bird. Her first honest retrieve.
fishvik-

That is AWESOME!! Five months old and already making you "forever" memories...IN THE FIELD!!. Can't get much better than that my friend.

Thanks for sharing. I wish many more for you and your four legged friends.

RayG

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 pm

fishvik wrote:
fishvik,
where's your new girl out of?

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Good luck Ray.

How is this pup bred? Any photos?

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 pm

bonasa wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 pm
Good luck Ray.

How is this pup bred? Any photos?
Not big on photos. Just an old curmudgeon with a flip phone.

She is by Waybetter Rocky out of Steel City Karen. I have seen both dogs in competition and liked what I saw. There is a little bit of this and a little bit of that in the pedigree...no real concentration of any particular line, but a lot of strong dogs back in there, several of which I have seen.

We shall see. I like what I am seeing ...so far. She is currently about 20 lb. at 13 weeks. I think(hope) she is going to be a good sized female. Her momma is pretty substantial and her daddy is long and leggy. I figure she should be about 25 lb. at 16 weeks which means, if conventional wisdom holds, she should fill out at about 50 pounds, which is a good size for a pointer.

Gotta go. The temps are dropping tonight so she is coming inside for the night.

RayG

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:44 pm

IDHunter wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 pm
fishvik wrote:
fishvik,
where's your new girl out of?
Actually it was a breeder down in Pocatello. He couldn't sell all the pups and didn't want to raise any of them. So he gave them to a local pet store to sell. I took one on the condition that I could take it to my vet and see the pictures of the parents. Both were on point in the photos and one photo had some pheasants in it, so I took a chance. I don't have papers but don't plan to trial or breed so I guess I just have a great buddy and bird dog. I guess every once in a while a blind hog finds an acorn. My son has Lucy's brother. He has a shorter and smoother coat and not as much hair on his face. Both parents had wirey coats and full facial hair though.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:37 pm

fishvik wrote:
Nice. What a thrilling surprise. May there be many more