USE A LEASH!!!

averageguy

USE A LEASH!!!

Post by averageguy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:22 am

Up at 5:30am spent 30 minutes chipping ice and snow off my truck so I could drive to nearby spot to let the dogs out to air. Back to motel and ate some breakfast, then back out to get the dogs out of their crates and into the motel room til we head out for the 10 o clock start time to hunt.

This blizzard has taken the starch out of my hydraulic pistons on the back lid to my camper shell so I have to hold it up with my head while getting dogs in and out. Just now I was getting my adult dog out of his crate in the back of the truck. I let him out onto the tailgate, snapped a check cord on him and let him jump down to the sidewalk running in front of the exterior entrance motel rooms. As I was shutting up the back of the truck, I felt him pull on the check cord behind me. Turned around and there was a big yellow lab with his hackles completely raised from his shoulders to his tail standing nose to nose with my dog. No leash, no owner in sight.

I snapped the checkcord as I said "Heel" to my dog and he did. I yelled "CALL YOUR DOG!!! AND USE A LEASH!!!"

Second time I have had to do this in the last 5 days. Last season I opened my motel door and loose dog immediately ran into my room!

I am sick of ignorant pheasant hunters letting their dogs run loose all around the parking lots and grounds of hunting area motels and am posting this in hopes I might educate some to stop doing it.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had loose dogs run up to mine, hackles raised looking to start some crap while their owners yell "Duke, get over here! Get back Here! Get over here! or any other combination of untrained/poorly commands.

I had an off leash pit bull charge my dog when he was a puppy while airing at a public rest area. The pit was on a full run for us, it's owner running behind yelling 10-15 different words none of them trained or heeded by the loose dog. I scooped up my pup and ran for my truck. Was overtaken by the pit before I got there. Fended him off with my leg as I spun around as the dog was lunging up for my pup while the idiot owner chased his dog all around...

Seems those with the least trained dogs are the ones most prone to claiming they don't need a leash. The world is full of "oh he's friendly" dogs looking to start some "bleep" when they growl nose to nose with a new dog they run up to ...

In September I stayed at a similar motel while hunting prairie grouse. Nothing like this ever happened. Every dog owner had control of their dogs and used a leash. Up to 20 different dogs staked out in the shade all around.

Gotta say the pheasant hunters are the worst. Public boat launch ramps at waterfowl areas are another notorious place as are parking lots are public waterfowl areas. Labs are a very popular breed and their owners are the most common offenders of out of control not on a leash dogs.

Use a Leash when in public people. Your dogs are not the only ones around.

Rant over.
Last edited by averageguy on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reba

Re: USE A LEASH!!!

Post by reba » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 am

And PLEASE pick up your dogs POOP!

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:34 am

AG,,, It's a common sense. I can't figure out why some people risk the liability of letting a dog run loose. I know a fellow that's not hunting this year because a loose pitbull killed his dog. Invisible fence works great to keep your dog in, but not useful keeping dogs out.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:55 am

and point #2 is that many people are afraid of dogs- like my sister in law. To see a dog coming at them is terrifying.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Common Sense is something that is in short supply these days!

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:10 am

Great post. I had a loose dog at the dump jump up and scratch the paint on my truck door as he was going after my dog in the window.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:31 am

you wouldnt believe the number of people that come into the clinic with their dog unleashed, or carrying a cat in their arms... makes for some entertaining lobby interactions, to say the least! What aggravates me are the ones that have a dog that wants to eat you, and the owners just laugh like its no big deal, and make absolutely ZERO attempt to restrain the "bleep" thing. About twice a year I finally get aggravated enough to say "yeah, thats real f#$%ing funny isnt it?!", right to their face, much to my wifes chagrin. And dont get me started on harnesses... put a proper fitting collar on a dog, and i can do pretty much anything with it, even the meanest german shepherd. But those harnesses are like having nothing on them, in my opinion. Workin with the public is never dull, thats for sure.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 pm

That's a very interesting post. I always muzzle my jrt at the vet - he doesn't like men- and I know my vet appreciates it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett