winter has come way too early

MNTonester

winter has come way too early

Post by MNTonester » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:20 pm

We got a couple of inches of snow last Saturday and dustings the next few days. Most of it stayed and overnight we got another 8" and a storm on the way for tomorrow. It seems we went from summer to a one month stretch of Fall right into Winter. Yuch. Had hoped to chase either grouse or pheasant today but the lousy weather put the kibosh on that. If we get some global warming next month, I might have to slug anyone who complains about it.
:wink:

Max2

Re: winter has come way too early

Post by Max2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:51 am

Darn !! Kid here in the northeast we have been in the low 70's ! Weather stink's for gett'n a young pup out ! Just to darn hot. And the tick's this year are the worst I have ever seen . I guess we still must forge on ! :D

......... it can be a tuff life being a " sportman"

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:27 am

My eighty third winter. We have never had a winter storm this early. The infamous Halloween storm in '91 dumped 20"and was the earliest until now.
But it is weather, not climate and has nothing to do with global warming or lack thereof.
Looks like a Christmas card out my window. But as with most of 2020 it sucks. Not close to being ready. It will melt though.........Cj

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 am

Come on now! I know it’s not worse over there in the land of tater tot hot dish and lutefisk than it is here in NODAK. Get you a hat, gloves and some wool socks and get after it. At least when it’s nasty you know where they’re holed up at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:23 am

Hunting in a blizzard was excellent yesterday.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:24 am

averageguy wrote:Hunting in a blizzard was excellent yesterday.

That’s that hard core! Nice

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:30 pm

headed to SW MN tomorrow for the annual hunt with oldest and youngest brother. Might be the last year for my oldest brother and I seem to be getting gimpier by month. I'm hoping for a couple more seasons

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:43 pm

MNTonester wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:30 pm
headed to SW MN tomorrow for the annual hunt with oldest and youngest brother. Might be the last year for my oldest brother and I seem to be getting gimpier by month. I'm hoping for a couple more seasons
Hope you have an enjoyable and safe hunt.

I hunt with my older Brother a lot. Started out him taking me dove hunting when I was 13, now I am taking him bird hunting in his 70s.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:52 am

RatDog wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 am
Come on now! I know it’s not worse over there in the land of tater tot hot dish and lutefisk than it is here in NODAK. Get you a hat, gloves and some wool socks and get after it. At least when it’s nasty you know where they’re holed up at.

Ratdog
You are right about that. No place has worse weather than winter in NODAK.
Nine months of winter and three months of darn poor sledding.
We never get too far from our hats, gloves and wool socks in Minny.
I am alright with cold weather but hunting the prairies in a blizzard is just plain stupid. People and dogs die doing that. Plus chasing birds out of their cover in a blizzard is inhumane and just wrong. ........Cj
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:24 am

cjhills wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:52 am
RatDog wrote:

Ratdog
I am alright with cold weather but hunting the prairies in a blizzard is just plain stupid. People and dogs die doing that. Plus chasing birds out of their cover in a blizzard is inhumane and just wrong. ........Cj
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE
Well I am not going to pretend I don't see this for what it clearly is, yet another attack on me. Sharon do as you please but this guy is poison.

I could go back and forth with this poisonous man responding to this latest attack but won't because he will never yield to a reasoned response, it brings me no enjoyment to do so and I should not have to in the first place.

To the good folks on this board I will probably be banned now for speaking this truth. I am far from the first guy to be run off from this board by this guy's behavior.

Have a Great and Safe Hunting Season.

PS.

CJ also attacks me on a regular basis through PMs.

I posted a photo of trophy bull elk I took cleanly with one arrow on an evening hunt out of blind I setup at a waterhole. I placed the arrow in the bulls lungs and watched it go down in less than 2 minutes 40 yards away. There were elk everywhere and so I did not exit the blind and recover the bull until after dark. Which is why the photo was in the dark. Which is also very common on evening archery hunts and large animals which are not just picked up and thrown in a game vest.

CJ sent me a PM accusing me of shooting the bull illegally after dark, gut shooting it, being the kind of guy who ruins hunting for all blah blah blah. It never stops.

That is representative of the kind of continuing attacks I have endured for several years now from this poisonous man.

Just wanted you all to have some background on what is going on here.

birds

Post by birds » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:15 am

averageguy wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:24 am
cjhills wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:52 am
RatDog wrote:

Ratdog
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE
Well I am not going to pretend I don't see this as yet another attack on me. Sharon do as you please but this guy is poison.

To the good folks on this board I will probably be banned now for speaking this truth. I am far from the first guy to be run off from this board by this guy's behavior.

Have a Great and Safe Hunting Season.

PS This guy also attacks me on a regular basis through PMs.

I posted a photo of trophy bull elk I took cleanly with one arrow on an evening hunt out of blind I setup at a waterhole. I placed the arrow in the bulls lungs and watched it go down in less than 2 minutes 40 yards away. There were elk everywhere and so I did not exit the blind and recover the bull until after dark. Which is why the photo was in the dark. Which is also very common in evening archery hunts and large animals which are not just picked up and thrown in a game vest.

CJ sent me a PM accusing me of shooting the bull illegally after dark, gut shooting it, being the kind of guy who ruins hunting for all blah blah blah. It never stops.

That is representative of the kind of attacks I have endured for several years now from this poisonous man.

Just wanted you all to have some background on what is going on here.
I am not interested in getting in between your two past histories, but I must say that I was taught at an early age not to hunt upland birds (especially covey birds that rely on each other for warmth) in harsh weather, especially late in the day. There was always plenty of time to pursue them after the weather moderated a bit. I was made to understand that it was a gesture of courtesy as well as an attempt to limit bird mortality from the weather and lack of opportunity to feed. They are in survival mode like everything else.
Maybe it doesn't make any real difference, but the gesture itself was always enough for me. Besides I doubt many actually ever hunt birds in a true blizzard as defined by NOAA:

"Blizzard
(abbrev. BLZD)-
A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer:
Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than ¼ mile)"

A snowy day maybe. But probably not when there is an actual Blizzard Warning in effect. People and dogs (and other creatures not able to make cover) do die in blizzards.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:27 am

The conditions I was hunting in were not lethal to birds with good cover and feed. Particularly Pheasants.

birds

Post by birds » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:19 am

I didn't think so - looked like a snowy day to me. But you did claim "hunting in a blizzard was excellent"...just sayin' :wink:

ex28

Post by ex28 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:24 am

I believe the issue here is you mentioned hunting in a blizzard and some folks are taking it literally (can't blame them). Looking at the picture it does look like heavy snowfall but it seems to be going straight down. I've hunted in those same conditions and I enjoy it. Add in heavy wind and I'm out though.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:45 am

I have posted that photo in a couple of other spots some very experienced wild bird hunters frequent. They all appreciated it and the hunting involved. Not one negative comment or attempt to insert a problem which did not exist.

I could go back and forth a few rounds about what has been raised here by the poison pen aka CJ, but it brings me no joy and I should not have to.

There are numerous other media outlets where the need to defend a day in the field seldom or ever arises. I moderate a couple of them and they are far more active than this board with a much larger group of contributors.

I am done with this board.

Best Wishes and Good Luck Gentlemen.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:30 am

Uhhhhhh....my bad I guess. I’ll plead ignorance on this one. Never heard that it was bad to hunt birds in poor weather. That’s when you want to hunt waterfowl. Couldn’t you argue the same about ducks, that they are stressed and you’re denying them access to needed food or loafing areas? If you didn’t hunt during inclement weather here in ND you wouldn’t do much hunting later in the season so I guess it becomes a judgement call.

I’ll keep that in mind along with not shooting covey birds if it’s a tough year and a small covey. Thanks for teaching me something new

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 am

I will say that sometimes this board could be called Grumpy Old Men’s Forum instead of Gun Dog Forum. I generally lean toward applauding people getting out when they have the chance to. I think if everyone spent less time picking apart things others post maybe you’d have more than 4-5 people post regularly?!?!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:11 pm

" I will say that sometimes this board could be called Grumpy Old Men’s Forum instead of Gun Dog Forum." quote Ratdog

LOl My lips are sealed. :)

Members: The Mods and administrator are dealing with this issue.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett