Very large GSP

ex28

Very large GSP

Post by ex28 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:53 pm

I know someone who is wanting a very large GSP so I figured I'd see if anyone has any information that could be helpful. I know the breed standard has the high end of 70lb but this person is looking for a GSP that is going to weigh 85+ lbs. I can't find any kennels who breed large GSPs and I'm not entirely sure that a full blooded GSP can even be bred to get that large but I'm not an expert. Does anyone know of a breeder who is breeding for large size or have any thoughts in general?

My male is around 52lbs with long legs and he has incredible stamina. It seems like the larger they are the less they'll be able to hunt overall without taking breaks but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance

Dakotazeb

Re: Very large GSP

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:37 am

I can't imagine why anyone would want that large of GSP. Could you please enlighten us? That being said, I do know of a breeder in South Dakota that has had some very large GSP's in the past. Not sure what he's breeding now.

ex28

Post by ex28 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:21 pm

I believe he has had luck with larger dogs having more endurance.

Can you pm me the name of the breeder?

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:57 am

I know a few people with extra large GSP, (also in many other breeds) but I doubt that anyone is deliberately breeding them that way. it's just that sometimes a puppy in a normal litter will be bigger than normal or one will be smaller than normal.

I don't think it is much of an indicator what size they are when they are weaned. Some grow more from that point on, some grow less.

I know of one GSP who is 125 pounds. His owner says the birds don't care what size the dog is.