New member just south of Chicago

paulkucz

New member just south of Chicago

Post by paulkucz » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Hello all. Just took my standard poodle pup out yesterday for some training on Chucker. He did great for his first time, locked up on the birds after the first few times until given the go ahead. He didn't react to the shots, and ran to the downed bird, but didn't retrieve it. Played fetch with the dead bird and he seems to get it. Looking forward to more training and having my first bird dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve007

Re: New member just south of Chicago

Post by Steve007 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:27 pm

"Locked up?" You can certainly train a Standard Poodle to stand his birds, but is this what you want? We have at least two other Standard Poodle trainer or owners on this board. I don't think this is the way Standard Poodles generally work on upland birds. But they're smart enough to where you can certainly train them to do this. Plenty of Labradors do.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Welcome!
Sounds like you and the pooch are doing awesome.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:55 pm

I have never seen anyone who hunted upland birds with a standard poodle, much less one that will stand its birds.

I think it is something very different and very special. I think it is kinda neat.

Thanks for sharing your experiences this far and I hope you continue to share your adventures afield. I, for one, would enjoy hearing about them.

Most of all have fun out there, both you and your pooch. The weather is getting to be right. Take care and be safe.

RayG