Question to Minnesotans

Giuseppe

Question to Minnesotans

Post by Giuseppe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:50 am

Odd question for those who can answer it:

I live in Iowa and dog training, testing and hunting is very important to me. I have always lived and hunted in Iowa so I don't have much of a term of comparison, hence why I am asking through this post. I recently received a very good job offer to work in Minneapolis and I am looking at possibly moving my family there. For those who live in Minneapolis or surrounding areas, do you think it is possible to live in the city and still train, test and hunt with your bird dog at a decent level. I am interested in NAVHDA testing and AKC field trials. I hunt upland birds almost exclusively. I know that the Minnesota NAVHDA chapter is one of the most active in the country, and moving to MN opens possibility for forest upland birds hunting. At the same time I like to train and hunt frequently, I am concerned that there is not much places available at a reasonable distance from the city to do that.
Of course there is a lot more to this decision (the job offer itself, what my wife and kids want, quality of life, etc.). But bird dogs and hunting are my hobby, so they will be part of the decision making process, although to a lesser degree.
Thank you in advance for your input.
G

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Question to Minnesotans

Post by cjhills » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 pm

G:
NAVHDA is quite active quite a few hunt tests and trials.
Bird hunting close to Minneapolis is pretty much limited to pheasants and they are way down.
You need to drive about 100+ miles to get into any decent bird hunting. But you can go any direction and find birds. Grouse are from about MIlle Lacs north And east In WISC. SD west And IOwa South.......Cj

DougB

Post by DougB » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:36 pm

Some excellent private hunting grounds in MN. Traxlers, about an hour south of Minneapolis, is great. If you get there, have lunch. Elk burger with Montgomery beer is hard to beat. Lots of fine wildlife management areas to work in when birds are done nesting. Maps are on line at the DNR.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:16 am

Make sure you read and understand the WMA laws before you train there.
They are closed to all motor vehicles, bird planting and shooting any live Ammo including blanks.
Also during Nesting.........Cj

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:05 pm

Well, this is disappointing. I guess I had a different picture of Minnesota in my mind.
Don't get me wrong, it still sounds like it is a great state for bird hunting, if you get away from Minneapolis.
But as far as being bird dog enthusiast friendly, it sounds like MN is lacking in this aspect.
Here in Iowa, although pheasant numbers are not what they used to be, I can still go out on WMAs from July 15 to March 15 with my blank pistol to train my dog on wild pheasants. This is something that I do quite a bit with my dog during the summer and before pheasant season. It is fun, and it is a great training drill for my dog. She is steady to wing and shot and I can keep her training polished this way without having to use my homing pigeons all the time. During that same period I can also go on any piece of public land and train and even shoot homing pigeons or pen raised game birds that have been leg banded. I guess, from what you guys are telling me none of this is possible in MN unless you are on private land or at a game preserve. Too bad since I really like to train frequently and not have to depend on someone else's land.
I was reading the 2019 MN hunting and trapping regs and I guess I am a bit confused. On page 28 it says "Dogs may not be trained on DNR administered lands from April 16 to July 14. At other times a person training a dog afield and carrying a firearm may only have blank cartridges and shells in possession when the season is not open for any game bird, except by permit.". But then on page 102 it says "Dogs are permitted on WMAs only when accompanied by or under the control of the owner. From April 16 through July 14, dogs must be on a leash. A person training a dog on a WMA may not use live ammunition or blank cartridges, including the use of blanks in dummy launchers or similar devices." So I guess what other lands (other than WMAs) are managed by the DNR where one can train dogs and use a blank pistol?

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm

I looked in to this a bit more and I found this link:

https://mn.gov/elicense/a-z/?id=1083-23 ... rt//order/

This is a MN DNR webpage where one can gather info for an "Application and Special Permit to Train Dogs Afield". There is also a link to the official form. Here it is:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/permit ... aining.pdf

Has anybody ever used this permit? If yes, could you elaborate on what it is for and what advantages it gives to its holder?

Thanks
G

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Look at area you may train in,contact a conservation officer and ask for clarification. Use email and you will have a clear record.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 am

My comment was on WMAs. You are not allowed to plant birds or carry live ammo including blanks when running your dog. And no Motorized vehicles. If you join a federation of field trials club you can train at Four Brooks WMA about 50 miles north of Minneapolis. If you get $25 permit from your club. It is a section of land leased By the Federation of Field trials to allow bird planting and shooting of pigeons and pen raised' mark birds.
, I generally have the second permit. You can plant and shoot pigeons and in some cases pen raised, marked game birds on state owned land or private land. If there is no ordinance against shooting.
Some local laws and conservation officers frown on planting pen raised native birds, because of contamination of the wild birds.
It is difficult to figure out what land qualifies. We do have a lot of laws and it is a bit difficult to figure them out. Generally the local CO will help. Sometimes not, though.....Cj