Newbie from Oregon!

PeteGray97504

Newbie from Oregon!

Post by PeteGray97504 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Hey there!
We just got our first bird dog. We adopted a 14mo old GSP from a foster situation. He seems to be VERY birdy,lock up solid on point (he has been pointing our local house sparrows very well.. LOL!)and is always looking for birds, both in the sky and on the gound. he's very biddable and overall a great dog so far. He's still super skinny (the reason he was fostered was because the original owners never wormed him and starved him to boot.) but we are working on slowly putting some weight on him and getting him acclimated to life in our home.
I look forward to the journey of us both learning about training and hopefully hunting him next year!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Newbie from Oregon!

Post by shags » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Congrats on the new family member :D

Sounds like your new guy landed in a good place.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Congrats on the new dog and congrats on missing the handful a GSP puppy can be. :D. Any pictures of this skinny guy? 14 month old GSP’s should be on the lean side.

PeteGray97504

Post by PeteGray97504 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:29 pm

Garrison wrote:Congrats on the new dog and congrats on missing the handful a GSP puppy can be. :D. Any pictures of this skinny guy? 14 month old GSP’s should be on the lean side.
Here are some pics from January when the foster folks got him, from what they were told he was about 11mos -1 year old:
ImageImageImage

PeteGray97504

Post by PeteGray97504 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:33 pm

Garrison wrote:Congrats on the new dog and congrats on missing the handful a GSP puppy can be. :D. Any pictures of this skinny guy? 14 month old GSP’s should be on the lean side.
I'll see if I can post some pics from my computer. Tap talk won't let me do it from my phone. Image

PeteGray97504

Post by PeteGray97504 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Here are some pics of him when he was taken by the foster folks in January of this year. He's 11mos old here supposedly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeteGray97504

Post by PeteGray97504 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:56 pm

I also reaslized I did the math wrong, is he was 11 mos in January, he's 15mos old now. :lol:
Here are some pics of him from this last week. Better, but still light IMO, his lack of good back and hindquarter muscle and his bone structure is pretty apparent still. The way his hips and pelvis are so proud makes me think this. I understand he should be lean, but this is lack of muscle mass and tone, not just "lean".
We are upping his food to 3 cups of PPP sport/day (previous folks were giving 2c/day of Diamond lamb and rice, yes we are slowly changing over hopefully by the end of next week he'll be on all PPP) and he gets 2x 2 mi walks /day now(1 with my wife and 1 with me), both with the harness so he can pull against my wife and my body weight as we go, hopefully to build him up.
Wednesday coming up he has a full vet exam coming and get a good baseline for him. We are also getting him chipped and having his hips checked. Lot's in store, but he's with us for good, so I want what's best for him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Good looking dog! Sounds like he landed in the right hands. Always hard to tell from pics, but it looks like you got him looking pretty good to me. I like to see good muscle tone with the last few ribs showing and you can’t do any better than what you are feeding him.

Garrison