~ POODLE POWER ~ STORM

Irishwhistler

~ POODLE POWER ~ STORM

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:11 am

IMG_5025_FotorResized.jpg
~ STORM ~ A recent update on the progress of standard poodle gun dog trainee STORM. Coming along nicely, STORM has earned a title in AKC Upland and most recently titled this weekend in Pittsburgh at the AKC Junior Hunter level in a double Junior Hunter stakes hosted by the Greater Pittsburgh Labrador Retriever Club. STORM had previously worked with yours truly here in Connecticut and continued training with Rich Louter of Louter Creek Kennels in Georgia over the winter. STORM'S owners Greg and Sarah are very happy with STORM'S progress and Greg is looking forward to continuing hunt testing and bird hunting with STORM when he arrives back home in Connecticut in July.

A very handsome and stylish dog, STORM is truly a beautiful dog to watch whilst he is working afield. STORM has a grand disposition and is both gentle and fun to work with. I very much look forward to our continuing work with STORM. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard *UT*

Re: ~ POODLE POWER ~ STORM

Post by Richard *UT* » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:19 pm

Great looking boy there! Nice work. I have had day dreams of taking a standard and do just what you are doing. Itโ€™s so good to see standards being worked again

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:04 pm

A Standard Poodle is a terrific breed, and while there are certainly lines specifically bred for hunting, the breed is so bright and so agreeable that I'm willing to believe you could train any normal Standard to do just about anything you wanted.

In the very early days of competition obedience, they were the quintessential obedience breed.

It must be great to have a fine and unusual dog like this to work with.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:05 pm

Richard *UT* wrote: โ†‘
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:19 pm
Great looking boy there! Nice work. I have had day dreams of taking a standard and do just what you are doing. Itโ€™s so good to see standards being worked again
Richard,
Thanks much, STORM is indeed a handsome and very intelligent dog. STORM is out of field performance bloodlines bred by Angie and Richard Louter of Louter Creek Kennels in Georgia.

Mike โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Steve007 wrote: โ†‘
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:04 pm
A Standard Poodle is a terrific breed, and while there are certainly lines specifically bred for hunting, the breed is so bright and so agreeable that I'm willing to believe you could train any normal Standard to do just about anything you wanted.

In the very early days of competition obedience, they were the quintessential obedience breed.

It must be great to have a fine and unusual dog like this to work with.
STORM is very intelligent, athletic, bird driven and highly obedient. He is developing into a wonderful gun dog and hunt test athlete. Appreciate your commentary Steve. ๐Ÿ‘

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:20 pm

I had never spent any time around the breed. I had a Lab that I was training for hunt tests with a local club and a couple of male standard poodles would show up for training days. I had no idea, and I am sure the general public doesnโ€™t realize what big and athletic animals are hidden under that coat.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:16 pm

Garrison wrote: โ†‘
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:20 pm
I had never spent any time around the breed. I had a Lab that I was training for hunt tests with a local club and a couple of male standard poodles would show up for training days. I had no idea, and I am sure the general public doesnโ€™t realize what big and athletic animals are hidden under that coat.
Garrison,
Indeed they are highly athletic and stylish dogs to watch. ๐Ÿ‘

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:57 pm

Perhaps surprisingly, quite a few of them can be sensibly protective as well. No relevance to bird work admittedly, but in a house dog, I personally count it as a positive. I am certain that this quality can be easily geared up and down, depending on how you handle it and what you want.

It really is quite a remarkable breed.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:57 pm
Perhaps surprisingly, quite a few of them can be sensibly protective as well. No relevance to bird work admittedly, but in a house dog, I personally count it as a positive. I am certain that this quality can be easily geared up and down, depending on how you handle it and what you want.

Steve,
I have seen some that can be quite territorial and formidable. NOT what his owners are looking for, STORM is a gun dog trainee and a really nice family companion dog.

freealfin

Post by freealfin » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:04 am

I'm so happy to see a Poodle do what they used to do so extremely well. I just walked out of the "Hungarian Vizsla Forum" because the majority of the members (including the administration) are transforming the breed to what the Poodle is today. A pompom that looks somewhat like a dog. Great job my friend! I Wish there were more like you.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Aye Mates,

We worked with STORM this morning doing both land and water work with live Chukars. Here are a few photo's of the lad in action. STORM is really coming into his own and will be a wonderful companion gun dog for his owner.
DSC08518_Fotor.jpg
~ STORM ~. Seen bounding in return to his owner / handler, STORM will J-hook, sit, and present the bird gently to hand at the command "GIVE" as issued by his handler.
DSC08573_Fotor.jpg
~ STORM ~ Having been sent on a long water retrieve for a downed Chukar, STORM has returned to shore and holds the bird while waiting for the "GIVE" command to be issued by his handler. STORM makes classic presentation to hand of birds retrieved.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER โ˜˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Giant Poodle and giant Schnauzer are both most formidable guard dogs.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:40 pm

weimdogman wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Giant Poodle and giant Schnauzer are both most formidable guard dogs.
Uh, well, I wouldn't equate them. A Giant Schnauzer is serious business and specifically bred for that purpose, but a Standard Poodle is sort of light-duty (with some exceptions) and you have to work at letting them know it's a good idea. Not all have the capacity, but they're so smart and agreeable you can bring it out of most of them within some limits.