English Pointer breeders in Iowa

Giuseppe

English Pointer breeders in Iowa

Post by Giuseppe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:06 pm

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with these english pointer breeders in Iowa?

Hackberry Kennels
Stony Kennels
Big Picture Kennels

If yes, what do you know about them? What kind of dogs do they produce? What blood lines do they use? What is their reputation? Do they have any dogs actively competing in trials?
I will end up contacting them directly as well, but I wanted also some input from others.
I am new to the english pointer world here in the US. Just starting to look around for a future puppy purchase (a year from now) and I am starting with the breeders that are geographically close to me first.
Thanks

ckirsch

Re: English Pointer breeders in Iowa

Post by ckirsch » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Can't go wrong with Bob Konz at Hackberry. Typically offers Elhew and Blackawk lines. Very knowledgeable guy. Spotless kennels. Lots of satisfied customers. I picked up a pup from him last fall and am very happy with it thus far.

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:31 pm

ckirsch wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:41 pm
Can't go wrong with Bob Konz at Hackberry. Typically offers Elhew and Blackawk lines. Very knowledgeable guy. Spotless kennels. Lots of satisfied customers. I picked up a pup from him last fall and am very happy with it thus far.
Thank you ckirsch! I have sent you a PM with a few more questions about the Hackberry kennels. Thank you for your help.
G

mobirddog

Post by mobirddog » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:50 am

I got a pup from Craig at Big Picture Kennels. Great dog so far just over 7 months old now and coming along fine.

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 pm

mobirddog wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:50 am
I got a pup from Craig at Big Picture Kennels. Great dog so far just over 7 months old now and coming along fine.
Thank you for the info. I sent you a PM with some other questions.
Thanks
G

burgerpc

Post by burgerpc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:42 am

I have owned dogs from both Hackberry and Stoney. Both have nice dogs. My current female from Stoney is outstanding. She's young, but I truly believe that she's going to be a "once in lifetime" type of hunting dog. The biggest difference I see from the two lineages is the size. Bob's dogs, Hackberry, are larger framed and bigger than Torrey's at Stoney. I don't trial or compete my dogs, so if that's your game I am not a good resource. I am solely and upland game hunter.