Close hunting english setters

Rhughes57

Close hunting english setters

Post by Rhughes57 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:31 pm

My son is looking for an English setter that will hunt close. Any advice on bloodlines and/or breeders would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve007

Re: Close hunting english setters

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Well, posting your son's location would probably be a good idea for starters. But once your son defines what he means by "close" and what kind of birds and country he is going to be hunting over, I'd start doing some research on local English Setters breeders and start calling. For that matter if there is any preserve hunting in your area, chances are the owner of the preserve could give you a lead. Depending on what part of the country he's in, there is no substitute for going out and seeing a dog -- or the parents of the dog if he is is looking for a puppy -- actually work. It's obviously not bird season, but going out early in the morning or late in the evening should be possible. If you end up buying a pup and getting him shipped in (if the airlines are flying), I'd get some referrals. Close working dogs aren't likely to have titles in their backgrounds to validate what they do, though HT titles are certainly possible. Doesn't guarantee close working, though.

Rhughes57

Post by Rhughes57 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. We are in East Texas, so he will be hunting in timber and small fields. He doesn’t need a big running dog. I have always had pointers and have to be selective in bloodlines and breeders, to find a dog that works well in cover. We heard the Ryman line is good, but having never worked setters was looking for some advice.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 pm

You can bring a dog in if he runs too big,what you cant do is train him to handle the heat. If I were your son that would be the first thing I would make sure. I dont see Rymans handling heat very well.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:59 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 pm
You can bring a dog in if he runs too big,what you cant do is train him to handle the heat. If I were your son that would be the first thing I would make sure. I dont see Rymans handling heat very well.
This is very good advice. Although I can brag about how well my setter adjusts his range, he clearly fades in the heat. On a brisk fall day I can get hours out of him but if the temps rise, he's done.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:09 am

Get a setter from cover-dog breeding and start the pup right. It will handle whatever you hunt.
That said, it's hard to beat a well-bred pointer for heat. A cover-dog pointer started right would be the ticket but you should get whatever you wish.
My setters did well in heat BUT they needed time to acclimate because of where we come from.
Pointer or setter "gun dog" - most folk don't start them right. I own one of each and they hunt northern Ontario grouse in snow and desert quail in AZ.
*The pointer is superior in the heat but both hunt WITH me. I hunt birds, not dogs. :wink:

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:08 pm

setters in that heat doesnt sound like a good fit but if your sons mind is made up im sure you can find what your looking for
do your homework and dont settle for anything less than your looking for

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:49 pm

setterpoint wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:08 pm
setters in that heat doesnt sound like a good fit but if your sons mind is made up im sure you can find what your looking for
do your homework and dont settle for anything less than your looking for
There are alot of setters out there that can take the heat. Most from western breeders. They may not take it like a pointer can but with a hair cut they handle it great.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:43 pm

not like the english pointers, or some of the short haird dogs ,some dogs know how to pace there selfs better than others,
i have setters myself, and one pointer beleive me the pointer can take the heat much better, thats why i have him
early season grouse hunting in michigan can get pretty warm ill run the setters first when its coller, then the pointer a little latter in the mornings

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:22 pm

When my setters had enough of the heat they would start heeling- clear sign . The jrt heads for the car when he has had enough. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Rhughes57 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:31 pm
My son is looking for an English setter that will hunt close. Any advice on bloodlines and/or breeders would be appreciated.
I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a good hunting , well bred setter that hunted closely. You can train "any" hunting dog to hunt close, but it's a big job as it goes against their grain. Have you considered a field spaniel?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:38 pm

setterpoint wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:43 pm
not like the english pointers, or some of the short haird dogs ,some dogs know how to pace there selfs better than others,
i have setters myself, and one pointer beleive me the pointer can take the heat much better, thats why i have him
early season grouse hunting in michigan can get pretty warm ill run the setters first when its coller, then the pointer a little latter in the mornings
You are the only one arguing whether a setter can take the heat like a pointer or not.

We are all giving trying to point the OP in the direction of setters than can handle heat, wedont give a darn if they can do it as well as another breed.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:09 pm

no arguement my reply was for the original post, befor he gets a setter and then finds out the dog runs to big and cant take the heat
the way he wants the dog to, like i said just my op,mayby get him looking at another breed of dog

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:15 pm

Exactly. The Op is talking about where to buy a close working setter in a hot State. I talked about breed choice too. I would think that all the posts should be helpful to the op.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:31 am

Sometimes it's hard to remember that this is a forum and we come here to share our passions, tell stories, relive the past (especially us old gaffers), get excited about the future, etc. In this regard, we speak openly without any mal-intent but can get into "the periphery".
So....I field trialed my setters years ago. One summer, my one female was with a pro in Alabama simply because I was so busy training here at home and felt bad for her. So, I sent her down to just have fun and to have him shoot quail over her - she was already finished.
He called one day to ask if he could run her in a S.D. Classic in Georgia (a.k.a. "pointer country")- would I cover the entry? I said, "Sure...go for it."
She was braced with a "white-and-black" pointer of renown that won 1st in Shooting Dog and 2nd in AA the prior weekend. My setter won that trial with 3 limb finds and a back, in the scorching heat. Hats off to pro trainer Travis Gellhaus for handling her and getting her "game fit". Setters CAN run in heat. They are more rare than pointers but....
I waited with anticipation for the article in American Field. When it surfaced, they got the placements all wrong. An honest mistake, I'm sure.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:00 pm

I'm sure. :)
Memories ! I remember that dog and Travis. He took one of my dog once to train- before I met you. Seems like it was 100 years ago.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:53 pm

If you can't find a setter, consider a Bracco. Bracco Italiano will hunt close and they are fine with heat and fine with hunting in trees.

asc

Post by asc » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:25 am

we used to have a Ryman guy on here?
Did he pass on or was regulated out?

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:36 pm

asc wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:25 am
Of all the lines of ENGLISH setters, the large body and long coats on the Rymans will make them the least adapt to taking the heat of Texas.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:46 pm

asc wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:25 am
I’m guessing maybe the vast amount of experience here contradicted his firmly held beliefs on one too many occasions. :D