They’re Back!

Garrison

They’re Back!

Post by Garrison » Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Found a pretty good size Southern Pacific in the Avocado grove, BAD NEWS. :x

Not a fan!
5BD1A2A5-E389-4D42-A669-68BD5A3AB096.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldbeek

Re: They’re Back!

Post by oldbeek » Thu May 21, 2020 10:52 pm

Just a Pacific. You can get a vaccination for them. Killed 3 Mojave greens already this year. Got a bunch of owls in my trees maybe they will keep the rodent population down. Is your dog snake broke?

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 am

oldbeek wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:52 pm
Just a Pacific. You can get a vaccination for them. Killed 3 Mojave greens already this year. Got a bunch of owls in my trees maybe they will keep the rodent population down. Is your dog snake broke?
Oldbeek,

Yeah, both my dogs are snake broke. Like in your area it is a must around here. My training area near the house is pretty snakey. Three Mojave Greens already? That is more than I care to deal with in a lifetime. :D

I was a Forestry and Natural Resource Management Major with an emphasis in range/game management and my brother is a Biology/Environmental Studies. We both kind of nerd out on anything involving nature. He and I hit the research library on the different species in our area a few years back.

The Southern Pacific is a really interesting creature as far as evolution is concerned. Depending on where the snake is located and it’s age the venom has very different profiles. The hemorrhagic and tissue destroying snake venom associated with most rattlers is secreted in larger amounts by some populations, in moderate amounts in some population and in only trace levels in some populations. The population in the San Jacinto Mountains (unfortunately my mountain quail hunting area) the venom contains potent presynaptic neurotoxic phospholipase A2 complex in similar levels of Mojave Rattlesnake.

They have found variation with the Mojave venom to lesser degree and over a much wider geographical footprint. The two extremes in venom profile for the Southern Pacific can be found in populations only an hour away from one another.

This makes it hard for the ER doctors who deal with the Southern Pacific, which happens to be the the most prolific man biter in Southern California.

The vaccine efficacy is still up for debate but I don’t think it can hurt.

Garrison
02ADD8E9-1BFF-4CB4-AA3E-C1368A0DB51D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Garrison on Fri May 22, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri May 22, 2020 5:54 am

Dang....such beautiful country - such and ugly encounter!!