Stamina Expectations in GWP vs PP

Brian Glock

Stamina Expectations in GWP vs PP

Post by Brian Glock » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:29 pm

A little background first. I owned a wonderful Pudelpointer for the past 13 years, we unfortunately had to put him down this past fall. He was an excellent dog in the field and the house, but one area I felt could have been better was his stamina. I am a foot hunter and a one dog guy. I run and mountain bike a fair bit, lot so my dog was always in good shape. But when hunting the canyons of the Deschutes, John Day, and Snake river for Chukar, he would last a few hours and that was it. After that he was a boot polisher.

Fast forward to today, I am looking for a new hunting partner. Since I also hunt waterfowl often in the Portland area and Montana, I am looking for a versatile breed that can handle cold weather/water/ice. So the GWP and PP on on the top of my list. My question is, with these two breeds, is it a reasonable expectation that I will find one that can hunt all day, like a GSP? Am I more likely to find a GWP that can go the distance than a PP? Thanks for the advice.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Stamina Expectations in GWP vs PP

Post by shags » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Sorry for the loss of your dog.

IME it's not the breed but the individual dog for traits like stamina. You have a better chance if you can find a breeder that puts emphasis on the traits you want but it's still a dicey luck of the draw if you're thinking of picking a baby puppy.

You didn't mention your conditioning program, and that's also a big factor. It won't turn a sprinter into a marathoner, but a good program can help.

Good luck on the search for your new buddy.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Sorry for your loss but congrats on the new journey. I have to agree with Shags, there is a lot of variation within the breeds, maybe not so much with the Pudlepointer because there are not as many breeders. But I think you would be hard pressed to truly find a dog that could really lay it down for an entire day in the chukar hills from any breed. I have chukar hunted over many breeds and what I have found as far as the similarities in the individual dogs that could keep them selves together for multiple days is:

1) Gait, the dog has to have a smooth easy gate. It’s as important for energy conservation as it is for their feet. A dog that pulls too much with the front end or pushes too much with the rear is going to be in the dog box in no time. You can tell it when you see it, seems like a lot of them like to move at a smooth trot rather than a walk whenever they are going.

2)Feet, some dogs keep them together some dogs don’t. Sometimes seemingly for unknown reasons. Smaller tighter pads, darker pigment and the aforementioned gait seem to give you the best chance.

3)Size, smaller than around 55lbs males seem to have an easier time of it. Big and strong in the water or cattails is great, but up and down goat slopes at elevation, the marathon runner build gets it done. No room for extra baggage.

4)Brains, they have to want birds more than anything but know that they are going to be down on the ground for a while so they don’t blow it out in the first quarter. The really good dogs know when to move and when to conserve. Hustle to an objective and work it, hustle to the next and then work etc.

5)Coat, in early season this can make a huge difference.

It’s tough because many of those attributes don’t lend themselves to water work. The closest thing that I have seen to an all day, multiple day dog was a 38lb female GSP. In fairness there were rumors that the line she came from occasionally threw lemon and white pups. :) and she couldn’t swim if her life depended on it. But she did have the attributes above. My current shorthair who was a rescue that came from very well known NAVHDA lines, (Dam scored a 200 at the invitational) doesn’t. He is a lean 62-65lbs through the season, has boxing gloves for feet and he pulls too much with the front end. It takes planning, foot care and appropriate rest if he is going to see the ground multiple days. But in other areas, he excels.

Just this guy’s opinion, but I’m sure someone will chime in and tell us about their wonder dog and say that I don’t know what I am talking about. :lol:

Garrison

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:18 pm

Great comments, I had big GSPs with huge feet. They had a lot of foot problems in lava chukar country with them even though one would go until he ran out of blood. He was my first dog and a warrior. I like smaller dogs for chukar country. They seem to hold up better. Did your last dog just not like that steep chukar country? I had a Brittany that would last about 1 hr in lava and would start being actually under foot. Take that same dog directly down in the valley to hunt valley quail in soft sandy soil and she would become a rocket and you would have to force her into her box at the end of the day.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Yes, I think you are likely to find a GWP that will have more endurance than what you described if you look at the right GWP breeders and litters.

The Breeder of the dog in this video clip lives in Oregon and a key yardstick in the dogs he uses for breeding is how they perform on Chukars in the very areas you mention as well as waterfowl in the Snake River Canyon, Grouse, Mountain Quail, Pheasants ... The dogs he selects for breeding hunt harder and farther when they are not finding birds vs slowing down.

This is my dog from that Breeder on his 5th day of that trip. Still running up that steep slope in the rocks searching for Huns and Chukars. He has excellent black feet which held up well with no boots.

There are lines of GWPs that run bigger, farther, longer than the average PP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnpeuqqtZik

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:49 pm

oldbeek wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:18 pm
Great comments, I had big GSPs with huge feet. They had a lot of foot problems in lava chukar country with them even though one would go until he ran out of blood. He was my first dog and a warrior. I like smaller dogs for chukar country. They seem to hold up better. Did your last dog just not like that steep chukar country? I had a Brittany that would last about 1 hr in lava and would start being actually under foot. Take that same dog directly down in the valley to hunt valley quail in soft sandy soil and she would become a rocket and you would have to force her into her box at the end of the day.
To his credit, he has never quit on me, even with a heart murmur that he developed a couple years back after a bad infection. He does slow down and doesn’t scent as well while my last setter would still be in the game in that department. Gravel kennel, regular roading on DG or gravel roads, zinc supplements and good conditioning, his feet could just never last, his front would always go first. Lots of boot changes and duct tape. Grass lands or crop fields he is fine. Think it is because he pounds his feet when he runs and the pads are pretty big. The kind of dog you can hear coming.

To the OP, sounds like averageguy gave you a good lead! I knew we could find that special dog that could hunt all day for weeks at a time.

Garrison
F5273DD8-A991-49A0-B95C-3DE4449833BC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Garrison on Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:44 pm

I think you're expecting too much for the country you're hunting. As long as the dog doesn't quit, that's all you can expect. A lot of GWP's will hit kind of a fast trot and go all day. I personally don't believe there's a dog that can handle really cold water yet run the mountains. The one that would come the closest is a GSP wearing a vest. You're asking for a dog to hunt the toughest conditions there are. You can go into a big chunk of country where you live and not come out until night. The average dog hunts for one-two hours in flat country then gets a break when you drive to a different cover. You may never find a dog you're happy with.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:50 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:44 pm
I think you're expecting too much for the country you're hunting. As long as the dog doesn't quit, that's all you can expect. A lot of GWP's will hit kind of a fast trot and go all day. I personally don't believe there's a dog that can handle really cold water yet run the mountains. The one that would come the closest is a GSP wearing a vest. You're asking for a dog to hunt the toughest conditions there are. You can go into a big chunk of country where you live and not come out until night. The average dog hunts for one-two hours in flat country then gets a break when you drive to a different cover. You may never find a dog you're happy with.
What he said!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Garrison wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:50 pm
gonehuntin' wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:44 pm
What he said!
I agree. It is unrealistic to expect a dog to go full bore all day let alone five days.Even sled dogs, who are bred, fed and conditioned to run, slow down to a trot after a few miles.
I have had very few dogs that could hunt 5 days straight, even in top condition. The ones that did, learned to pace themselves or were naturally slower running dogs. All dropped a lot of weight and slept for a day or two before they ate after we got home.
My good friends well bred Wires were all slower dogs and a little bigger than I like, but they could maintain their pace for a long time.
look for a dog with a little roach......Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:31 am

Brian Glock,

I responded to your specific question as to PP vs GWPs. Does not seem anyone else has. I reread your post and it says your PP "would last a few hours" after which he became a "boot polisher".

All of my GWPs would/will continue hunting as long as you have them on the ground. In my youth I did hunt my dogs all day long and they did learn to adjust their pace.

The dog in the video I posted had been hunting 5 hours a day, not all day. It was indeed the 5th day of the trip. If folks find that unbelievable I will take it as a compliment to the dog. He is not trotting. I ran an Alpha on the dog for his first two seasons and he would average around 10.5 MPH speed when hunting days in a row.

He is black/white roan with a good dual coat and will not handle heat as well as a thin coated white dog will. I never inferred he would. That would be no different than all the PPs I have been around, which was the subject of your question even as others find need to wander off of it in their responses.

I have hunted that dog all day long on occasions and he never stopped hunting, but I rested him the next day. That dog hunts 4-5 days a week from September through January and less frequently in Feb and March. He runs daily and is never out of shape. In a Roading Thread I posted video of me roading him on gravel in front of my UTV for the purpose of toughening up his feet.

All my male GWPs have been about 60lbs during the hunting season. Lean, Tall, Leggy, Athletic. Very common to find male GWPs in that size. (GWPs not DDs, which many times people commenting on this board lump together, which indicates a lack of knowledge and experience with one or the other or both).

FWIW, I got my first GWP in 1986. His record was hunting 11 days straight which included bobwhites, pheasants, prairie chickens, ducks, geese, a little track and tree coon hunting at night and he ran and treed a big Tom bobcat. I was using my end of year vacation between Christmas and New Years and it was a good thing when I had to go back to work as that dog was worn out. He hunted 14 seasons and lived a little past 16. Tough as nails.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:16 am

AG, did you read in his post he's hunting CANYON? There are not many, if any dogs, that can hunt canyons all day, for five days, and not end up a "bootlicker". I'll go a step further and say I've NEVER seen one. That's some steep, up and down country he's talking about.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:51 am

I agree and never said differently. Key being all day and 5 days in a row. The OP said "a few hours" not all day, nor did it say 5 days in a row.

I drove for 2 days to get to Chukar country and had that one dog in my truck at the time. I did not run him all day because I wanted to have some dog left on the last day, and did as can be seen in the video. Which is why I posted it so the OP could see and judge for himself. There was some fairly major canyon country where we were on that hunt as well.

It should be helpful information directly applicable to the question he posted if received in that manner.

He asked how GWPs compared with PPs for Stamina and I answered. I encourage him to go see some of the out west bred GWPs hunting chukars in that country and see for himself first hand. Spud's momma Tater hunts the same canyons and never quits, nor does his Sire Max who lives and hunts Chukars in Utah and Idaho, which is why they both made the cut in his breeding program.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:15 am

Both Gonehuntin' AND Averageguy are correct! Why? Because there are SO many variables in the setting that I could prove them both wrong or both right! I prefer, both right. :)
First off, there are dogs and there are dogs WITHIN a breed name. Some are more heat tolerant while others are less heat tolerant. Pointers do have an advantage in that they were bred/nurtured to RUN. Their minds and bodies have been honed to be THAT kind of dog. Having a short coat doesn't hurt them in this application. You can shave your setter. I wouldn't recommend that with a GWP or PP. :lol:
Some dog's genetics makes them more susceptible to volatile pads - others not-so-much. And it goes on-and-on.
So, what time of day are you running your dog? Yes, I know....ALL day, but let's get real, what time of day? Do you stop often to rest and for lunch? How much water do you carry? Is your dog a water-dependent dog? What is the temp on that specific day or days? Was it sunny ALL day or...? Is there a river/creek/pond where you hunted? Again, do the genetics within your particular dog make her/him heat tolerant? Does the specific area you hunted make climbs more prevalent - in other words, do you know there to more-likely be birds in that nasty, loose rock, steep zone? Sure, you could walk an easier area of that zone but it doesn't produce the birds!
Is your dog a plodder (BORING!!!)? I have owned dogs that would drop dead before they'd become plodders. It was their essence which I love BUT it makes me even more attentive to ensure their well-being. There is NO comparison in terms of stamina/endurance between a plodder and a dog that hunts most of the day with pace.
Finally, how old are you? Are you 23 and a marathoner or 66 and have some medical restraints? What is the definition of a good day afield to you?
Personally, I NEED a dog that makes me smile (by my definition). She/he must have pace to be productive on wild birds regardless of species but perhaps more-so for some. She/he must have a pleasing animated gate. She/he must be relentless, and more. Remember, I don't hunt because my family needs food. I don't hunt because I am driven to kill. And so, my goals might deviate from those of others making it harder to appreciate what some-else aspires to have.
When you process all of the above and salt in a few other practical variables, you start to realize that making a blanket statement like, "Fords are faster than Chevs tells you absolutely nothing about the individual vehicles.
If you are set on a specific breed, do the research to try to discover those attributes you aspire to have. Even then, it can be a crap-shoot. If you don't believe me, explain this. When we breed a HOF field champion sire to a HOF field champion beatch, why are ALL of the puppies in that litter not automatically HOF field trial champions?
I take this moment to offer that if you have but one dog, try to get one that will make a 2 day drive to your bird hunting destination worth it! Perhaps I'm black-hearted but I won't keep one that won't....period.
If you have multiple dogs - and you've heard my take - I NEVER hunt them at the same time, for what should at this juncture, be obvious.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:37 am

AG,
I don’t believe myself or others wandered off course, we just relayed our experiences and expectations which happen to be different than yours, so it seems you may have taken exception to them. The statement was made that he wanted a dog that could hunt all day like a GSP for chukar. I used the opportunity to be critical of one of my own dogs to illustrate that chukar country takes no prisoners on dogs and how the variation between two dogs within a breed can be substantial. E.g. my GSP’s vs the 38lb female GSP.
I think you would and did agree that, there are some attributes that can help and hurt a dog in chukar hunting vs water fowling. Which would be pertinent to consider when looking for a new dog from either of the breeds he is interested in.

On a side note, I would be willing to wager that the shorthair that I did take a critical look at with all his flaws, has probably spent more days on the ground in chukar country and loaded more tailgates with limits than any others in this conversation (got ample film). But more importantly I would be willing to bet that nobody in this conversation could themselves last multiple days in real chukar country. I’m 41 weigh what I did in college and do about 50-60 miles a week on my mountain bike, my cousins who I go hunting with are college age, they are half billy goat and spend their whole summer wild land firefighting In Nevada. We need a break after a 2-3 days in the canyons, so do our dogs.

Garrison
Last edited by Garrison on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:52 am

Garrison;
Your last point is exactly what I was thinking......Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:19 am

Garrison,

I took no exception to you wandering off talking about your GSP in response to an OP which asked about the "Stamina Expectations in GWP vs PP". I did however point out it is in fact off subject.

I did take mild exception to you putting words in my mouth when you characterized my first post as follows: "I knew we could find that special dog that could hunt all day for weeks at a time."

No where in my post did I say that as is easily verified by reading them above.

Not something that is going to stick in my craw but it was an obvious mis-characterization that others then picked up on and ran with it. None of which provides information about the two breeds the OP tee'd up.

Your GSP certainly has more days hunting Chukars than my GWP does. I doubt it has more days or miles than his Sire or Dam do however. At least the dog I am discussing is one of the two breeds tee'd up in the OP's question.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:59 am

AG,

I would like to apologize for that remark. When you mentioned that your dog was hunting hard on Day 5, I shouldn’t of made the assumption that it was day 5 of 5 full days of hunting. You can understand how I could of accidentally inferred that, as the original topic was about a dog hunting a full day and I don’t believe you said anything to the contrary until after my statement. Thanks for the clarification, because otherwise it would seem like it was a bit of hyperbole.

But I do stand by my contributions to the conversation as absolutely on topic and pertinent information because a comparison was made to a GSP’s performance as a yard stick at which to judge or fudge another dog’s performance chukar hunting. As noted there can be a large variation in that yard stick. I’m not sure how ample first hand experience and the attributes that benefit a dog of any breed in that pursuit are not beneficial to discuss. I’m sure your dog theoretically given the opportunity could be much more capable than other GWP’s in the hills because of his breeding and possessing some of the attributes discussed. That is also why I said that your breeder would be a good lead.

Garrison

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:42 am

Garrison, All good and Thank You.

Since it has become such a point of conversation that GWP actually did put in a couple of pretty full days back to back on days one and two of that trip. He was gassed but never let up. The guys I was hunting with were most impressed and said so. I backed way off his time on the ground the third day, gave him more time on the 4th (hunted behind the other guy's local dogs when my dog was not down and frankly the results suffered). Ramped him back up on the last day when I took that video because it is a long drive home.

Least someone think I was trying to "Fudge" anything.

When I shared that video with his Breeder his comment was "It's almost like he was bred for it". :)
Last edited by averageguy on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:56 am

Brian Glock wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:29 pm
A little background first. I owned a wonderful Pudelpointer for the past 13 years, we unfortunately had to put him down this past fall. He was an excellent dog in the field and the house, but one area I felt could have been better was his stamina. I am a foot hunter and a one dog guy. I run and mountain bike a fair bit, lot so my dog was always in good shape. But when hunting the canyons of the Deschutes, John Day, and Snake river for Chukar, he would last a few hours and that was it. After that he was a boot polisher.

Fast forward to today, I am looking for a new hunting partner. Since I also hunt waterfowl often in the Portland area and Montana, I am looking for a versatile breed that can handle cold weather/water/ice. So the GWP and PP on on the top of my list. My question is, with these two breeds, is it a reasonable expectation that I will find one that can hunt all day, like a GSP? Am I more likely to find a GWP that can go the distance than a PP? Thanks for the advice.
I suspect your trip's riding your bike with your dog were not in the country you hunted in My son brough home a buddy when he was in the Navy that was a fitness freak, guy was built like a Greek God! I was training my dog's down in the hills around Clarno on the John Day back then and we took his buddy down there with us. Those hills didn't bother me much but I was used to them and air above sea level, the Greek God was not. D*mn near killed him down there. He said till that happened he though he was in good shape.

Now in three hour's, you walking about 99% of the time and your dog moving faster,, which one of you covered more ground? And hunting along the Deschutes is definitely a higher altitude, your dog was probably in better shape than you but ran a whole lot more. I used to hunt Condon area, and places along the John Day that were steep and my dog's did every trip with me. First couple hunt's they would seem to poop out pretty fast and after that there was no pooping out. My old Hannah could give me three days on the chukars hills before needing a break. The only conditioning they got was when we trained at Clarno or on the grasslands near Madras and when we went hunting every weekend. We'd do Cottonwood Bridge about once a weekend, that was pure torture! I believe they learn to adapt.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:05 am

averageguy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:42 am
Garrison, All good and Thank You.

Since it has become such a point of conversation that GWP actually did put in a couple of pretty full days back to back on days one and two of that trip. He was gassed but never let up. The guys I was hunting with were most impressed and said so. I backed way off his time on the ground the third day, gave him more time on the 4th (hunted behind the other guy's dogs when my dog was not down and frankly the results suffered). Ramped him back up on the last day when I took that video because it is a long drive home.

Least someone think I was trying to "Fudge" anything.

When I shared that video with his Breeder his comment was "It's almost like he was bred for it". :)
I would say so! He knew exactly where to go look.

I do about the same as far as schedule when I have a week. We usually do two pretty full days with a good long lunch break and then go jump shoot ducks for a day with the lab to let everybody rest.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:57 am

Brian,

I saw this litter yesterday, don’t know the dogs or if any are available, might be worth looking in to. Not too far of a drive.

Garrison
343E32C6-BE86-4620-8ED2-04D28ED3C7AE.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:08 pm

That litter was all sold out before they were born.

The Breeder is a good one. He uses a lot of genetics/dogs from my Dog's breeder and has for years. He has a bitch out of the same Sire of my dog in the video and a littermate sister to my dog's Dam.

The Guy hunts all over the NW and SW annually. Upland and Waterfowl.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Brian; when you say your dog became a "boot licker" what do you mean by that? To you, what is a "boot licker"?

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:01 am

When I hunt that rough chukar country, my dog is always within 40 yards of me. Not moving fast at all. Usually have to watch my footing. At 78 I seem to be slowing down some. I can't hit Sh-- if I am winded. Quail country, she is good for 2 days, then we need a day of rest. On quail she is averaging 14 mph.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:18 am

oldbeek wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:01 am
When I hunt that rough chukar country, my dog is always within 40 yards of me. Not moving fast at all. Usually have to watch my footing. At 78 I seem to be slowing down some. I can't hit Sh-- if I am winded. Quail country, she is good for 2 days, then we need a day of rest. On quail she is averaging 14 mph.
Oldbeek,
Good to hear you still hate those little red legged devils enough to keep seeking revenge! But don’t go and start thinking you have a monopoly on lousy shooting. :lol: Thought this might help with the motivation for next season, I post it up on the wall in front of my treadmill preseason!

Garrison
8184E294-12AD-4CB8-807A-E62C32C18646.png

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:32 am

:)

Brian Glock

Post by Brian Glock » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. Perhaps I am looking for a dog that doesn't exist. Just trying to get a feel on what I should expect out of a versatile dog. You have given some some great points to consider. Regardless, my next dog will be great and will be the dog my 9 year old gets to grow up hunting with. Can't wait!!

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri May 01, 2020 5:18 am

Garrison, I like that chukar pose. I like your new avatar even more! Now THAT'S a bird dog!! That dog will tear your hot spots apart until it learns to pace itself for the long haul. It will NEVER be a plodder (thank God) but you will rack up some indelible scintillating points/memories, I'm guessing.
The next dog to add to your dynamic duo should be a pointer. You will them be "loaded for bear" in that chukar country, kinda like a left hook and a right cross!! Hot dang.....! I'm gettin' all fired up just picturing that!! :lol:

Your daughter will love whatever you bring home Brian. She is blessed to have a "bird dog Dad"!
I wish you all the best when that day comes, Sir.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri May 01, 2020 7:19 am

:D

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Fri May 01, 2020 9:09 am

You can definitely find what you’re looking for. The NW breeds some of the best GWPs in the country built for Chukar hunting and waterfowl. Some breeders to check out would be Bonepoint, cascade, wireswest, and dual shot.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri May 01, 2020 12:16 pm

averageguy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:51 am

That is an awesome picture AG , I would have hunted with a hawk though :) ..Brilliant thank you.

birds

Post by birds » Sat May 02, 2020 8:28 am

Good lord. Oldbeek if I am still hunting chukars at 78 I would likely be happy to have a dog that stuck close to me. After all, somebody would need to lead the authorities back to my carcass.
My hat is off to you!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat May 02, 2020 9:27 am

birds wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:28 am
Good lord. Oldbeek if I am still hunting chukars at 78 I would likely be happy to have a dog that stuck close to me. After all, somebody would need to lead the authorities back to my carcass.
My hat is off to you!
Same here! :mrgreen:

mask

Post by mask » Sat May 02, 2020 10:48 am

Yep I'm approaching that age my self and still hunt all age bred pointers. I have a three year old, a four year old, a ten year old, and a 17 year old. The old girl goes out when we train and is used for a backing dummy and to pick up carded birds at the end of the session. So I guess who needs the stamina is probably me and not the dogs. Still looking forward to another pup in the next year or so though. Oh and the definition of all day seems to be different for different folks. I would never hunt one of my dogs from dawn to dark in the country I hunt. Be well and stay safe and my best to you all.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun May 03, 2020 6:39 am

Thank you Oldbeek. I feel like a young punk now...at 66.
I wish us all many years of making memories afield.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon May 04, 2020 5:03 am

Well I have learned my lesson.

Next time someone asks for input about a breed I have hunted wild birds with all over NA for decades I will know better than to respond. Seems not even actual video of the dog hunting Chukar on the 5th day of trip is well received by some. Even when the breeder of the dog lives and hunts chukars in the same area as the OP does apparently the information is not credible enough for some.

People falsely asserting statements to my posts which are clearly not present which then takes on a life of its own through the rest of the thread ...

Tough crowd on this board.

Polmaise,

You are very welcome. Credit goes to God not the photographer.

Brian Glock,

I own GWPs from 2 of 4 breeders mentioned in this thread. If you are genuinely interested in the breed send me a PM.
Last edited by averageguy on Thu May 07, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon May 04, 2020 12:55 pm

AG,

I thought we cleared this miscommunication up. Think I told you how I, and maybe the others got the wrong impression about your original comments, before you set the record straight. Even went as far as to personally apologize and compliment your dog in the video for his brains and “How it looked like he was bred for it”. If a GWP for chucks was/is the goal, I think this discussion narrowed the search. Judging by Mr. Glock’s last post, he got a lot of “Great feedback” and leads on quality breeders in his area. This was a thanks to you as well as everybody else who shared their point of view about what they expect from their dogs.

It’s ok to have different opinions and still all get along.

Garrison

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon May 04, 2020 1:51 pm

Always amazing, and Ive been guilty too, how these threads turn into pissing matches over the most trivial of things.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon May 04, 2020 3:29 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:51 pm
Always amazing, and Ive been guilty too, how these threads turn into pissing matches over the most trivial of things.
:D guilty as charged! It’s all too easy to misread someone’s intentions, poke at a soft spot and press send on something written over the internet than it is to say it in person. Having different breeds, different opinions, different experiences and different sense of humors keeps it fun. For me anyway!

And in all due respect to all involved the only dog that I was critical of was my own.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon May 04, 2020 5:21 pm

I wasn't picking on you Garrison, it was a general observation and I'm as guilty as the next guy. In general many of these posted questions are answered in the first six replies. Then the drivel and battling starts. :D That's the internet.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon May 04, 2020 5:43 pm

I know and appreciate that gonehuntin. But if the shoe fits, sometimes it’s a good idea to realize they are mine. :lol: