Hunting Rig

Garrison

Hunting Rig

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:39 am

Let’s see the current hunting rigs! What are you guys/gals running?

Was thinking about getting something newer, been running an old 7.3 diesel Excursion for the last 10 years, but I’m not sure if it won’t outlast me. 300,000 miles and I’m pretty sure it will go 300,000 more.

Thinking maybe going back to a pickup with a topper again. But if it ain’t broke.

Garrison
0B4D89A0-9A6F-4AD9-9645-DC56824F83F8.jpeg
625B3789-C3FB-44E5-B09A-7773112AF64C.jpeg
18A5F752-C22B-44EE-BD30-FBC961A795EC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max2

Re: Hunting Rig

Post by Max2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Nice rig ! Why would you want to change up ? You could do everything with that . For me I hope to find a Cadillac Eldorado 1975- 1980 era. :D Serious those old rigs rode awesome and I really don't need 4-wheel drive to bird hunt in NY. Nothing pretty because the pup will ride up front with me. Then if I want to stretch out and hit a far away corner of new york I'm ride'n in style ! 8)

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Max2 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:17 pm
Nice rig ! Why would you want to change up ? You could do everything with that . For me I hope to find a Cadillac Eldorado 1975- 1980 era. :D Serious those old rigs rode awesome and I really don't need 4-wheel drive to bird hunt in NY. Nothing pretty because the pup will ride up front with me. Then if I want to stretch out and hit a far away corner of new york I'm ride'n in style ! 8)
I like your style!! I sold my heavy saltwater boat, and driving my father in-laws new f-150 made me think twice about it. :D

ChrisW74

Post by ChrisW74 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:57 pm

Garrison nice rig i don't see any reason you need to change anything at all. My rig is a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. It was my first new vehicle in sometime got luck enough to order the way i wanted it. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon if ever.
Pick Up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:53 pm

ChrisW74 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:57 pm
Garrison nice rig i don't see any reason you need to change anything at all. My rig is a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. It was my first new vehicle in sometime got luck enough to order the way i wanted it. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon if ever.Pick Up.jpg
It’s great until somebody has gas or rolled on a stinky pile of dead cow! :lol:

Never been a Dodge guy, but was looking at the Ram Rebel a bit. They sure are making some good looking trucks!

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Extended cab 1/2 ton 4x4 Silverados for me. 10 ply Michelin tires.

Shell over the bed with full length contractor doors down the sides with slider screened windows in the center of each door so I can move air through it. Boat racks on the top of the shell to carry kayak and decoys when needed. Receiver hitch carrier for more decoys when needed. The Silverados have an extra battery tray under the hood where I place a deep cycle battery wired into the alternator. Run a lead from it to the back where I can run a ruff/tuff fan on the front of the dog kennels in the heat. I also put a slider window in the front of the shell which I open to move air.

My dogs find skunks often enough I don't see me using anything but a Pickup.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:40 pm

averageguy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:36 pm
Extended cab 1/2 ton 4x4 Silverados for me. 10 ply Michelin tires.

Shell over the bed with full length contractor doors down the sides with slider screened windows in the center of each door so I can move air through it. Boat racks on the top of the shell to carry kayak and decoys when needed. Receiver hitch carrier for more decoys when needed. The Silverados have an extra battery tray under the hood where I place a deep cycle battery wired into the alternator. Run a lead from it to the back where I can run a ruff/tuff fan on the front of the dog kennels in the heat. I also put a slider window in the front of the shell which I open to move air.

My dogs find skunks often enough I don't see me using anything but a Pickup.
Great idea on the extra battery!

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:35 pm

I'd hang on to what you've got there Garrison. When it starts costing you too much move on, but otherwise, I like what I see.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Featherfinder wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:35 pm
I'd hang on to what you've got there Garrison. When it starts costing you too much move on, but otherwise, I like what I see.
Yeah, probably the smart thing to do, everyone who I have ever spoke to that had a 7.3 regrets selling. Sometimes the smell of new leather and fancy gadgets gets the brain going. I guess I can always borrow the keys!

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 am

The smells and new leather don't stay new very long in my trucks, anyway.
Now, I DO look after my vehicles/equipment. What's that saying, "If you want them to look after you, look after them."
Consider some of the remote areas we hunt and you appreciate that maintaining your vehicles is imperative!
That beast of yours still looks good. Sometimes, you just want a new truck. I get it but here, that investment needs serious budgetary/cost benefit analysis.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:52 am

Agreed, I am fairly handy and ocd, she has been well cared for.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:55 pm

This -- if it prints -- Is a Ford Expedition with a Truck Vault in the back. For those not familiar with Truck Vault, it fits under the crates, slides out, contains lots of room for shotguns, collars, , ammo,etc. and it locks. Really a great way to safely hide/secure guns and equipment and expand the amount of stuff you can carry.

Worth considering, especially if you go out hunting with a partner or more than one or on long trips. My partner and I at times have two dogs each, so space is important. Expedition plus truck vault gets it done.

Wirehair is FC MH. Setter is trial bred.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:08 pm

I've gone my entire life having dogs in a specially constructed dog truck or the back of a pickup truck. Finally went to a 4Runner this year since I'm down to one dog. I love it. Why? The dog is inside with me and I can climate control it exactly. Rear window goes up and down, side windows, sun roof. Superb ventilation. In the trucks I was always concerned with cooling or heating the dogs. Used fans, Nogle, hoses. Nothing really worked great. I love this. Odor problem? Always carry two quarts of Nature's Miracle Skunk Remover. Works on everything including gasoline. Advantage of a PU? You can throw a bunch of "bleep" in the back without worrying about getting it dirty.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Great looking set up and great looking dogs Steve. Looks like you have your bases covered in both departments!

Gonehuntin, thanks for the heads up on the Natures Miracle. That info could of come in real handy on several occasions. Especially when I dribbled a little generator gas in the back on our last RV trip. My wife wanted to kill me. :lol: I do like having AC, wish my back window rolled down, I bet that comes in handy.