Spring Training

Garrison

Spring Training

Post by Garrison » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:39 pm

My pup is wrapping up some work with his trainer at the end of the month. He spent two months in Texas on the Mariposa Ranch working bobwhites and another couple more in Idaho on Huns and Chukar. He laid down a really nice foundation, much more than I could ever do. He is hunting, finding and holding steady for the gun. Backing at a really good distance without any creep and I think he is looking pretty good doing it. :wink: It’s the first time I ever sent a dog off and now that I have, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It has been a great experience. Looking forward to getting him back and working towards his first season.

B89C092F-DC58-49D0-9D5B-F3C0065CA88C.jpeg
9F5F8BB1-CBE5-4CEB-8189-304A90F2DEBD.jpeg
727E0A7A-6980-4016-8C01-8505205735D8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Featherfinder

Re: Spring Training

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Fancy...fancy...fancy! Congrats on having picked a regal breed and a great trainer!
Thanks for sharing Sir!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Thanks for the kind words! They're definitely not for everybody, but I like em. My old guy is going to age out in a couple years, lately I have been thinking real hard about pointers too.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Good looking dogs! Thanks for the pics. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:52 pm

Garrison,

Looks like you put the right dog with the right trainer. 4 months working wild birds - can't get any better than that.

You have much to be excited about going into this coming season. Best of Luck with your young dog.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:59 pm

Wow! Sharp looking dog! I bet he looks as good going as he does standing his birds, a brag dog for sure.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks all, he has the parts. Hoping the engine keeps getting stronger with age and experience.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:34 am

Garrison, your dog will bloom into the dog your trainer and then you allow him to be. I REALLY like what I'm seeing!
Yup...get yourself a pointer too but I'd wait a few years re timing. You will have the best of both worlds!! It simply doesn't get any better.
Right now, I'm blessed to have a strong savvy mature setter (9 yrs old) and a young exciting bird-finding-machine in my pointer(3 yrs old)!
I'm a bit concerned about what this coming season will hold with all of this virus stuff. Let's do what we can to get ourselves back on track, hopefully before the upcoming bird season! Stay distant. Stay healthy.
If I can/have to, I will drive the 38 hours to my prairie hunt. We usually fly but....????
Drove 36 to Arizona so, no biggie.
Bought my 2017 RAM in late 2017. She already has 66,300 miles! LOVE that truck!!

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:09 am

Beautiful photos enjoy the hunt.

Grant

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:13 am

Luckily my favorite training/hunting spots are pretty lonely places. Way more than the recommended six feet. But like some here on the forum, I fall in to that high risk category if I somehow pick up this virus. Autoimmune disorders that attack the lungs and COVID is not a good mix I have been warned. So keeping it buttoned up tight around here and weathering the storm. No plans, well immediate plans for a dog, I only keep two at a time and like to space the age out so I always have one ready to go. But, I also like having goals.:D

Staying safe and thankful for what I have and not focusing on what I am missing. Lots of folks out there hurting in a bad way.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu May 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Picked up the dog from school yesterday and brought him home. We had one happy little girl and pup last night. They laid on the floor with each other most of the evening, not sure who was giving who the majority of the attention.
09518166-A1ED-42BC-9A50-AB3EDD986523.jpeg
I opened up the back gate and took him for a little run in the 50 acre field behind my house this morning. He found a pair of quail. Luckily the nest was guarded in some rocks so we only moved the male. I got some nice bird work out of the contact.
6AA95440-F01B-4D06-8321-423C3C365D11.jpeg
He is still acting like a pup in his application, getting side tracked and doing puppy stuff, but he is giving me more glimmers of hope when he decides to get to work and show me what he can do. Think we are going to be working at his pace for awhile longer not mine. :D

Garrison
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

I LOVE that pic with your daughter!!
That dog is doing amazing. Afford him the time he needs to grow up. I say this because....it would seem that GREAT dogs age faster than good ones. :?:
Enjoy...enjoy....and enjoy even more!!!
Keep posting too!
What a stunning specimen - regal, graceful, handsome, SO much more than simply functional! Looks like you've got it all right there!
Now, try to wait it out before getting that powerhouse pointer. Trust me, you will be glad to did.
And, you will keep this gorgeous setter front-and-center, as you, your daughter and this setter deserve. :wink: