New Guy

Gowens50

New Guy

Post by Gowens50 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Hello, my name is Gary Owens. Up until about 10 years ago I was strictly a still hunter. When I married my current wife (Kat) her family owns property in South Georgia and are members of a dog hunting club! I dog hunted with her family off and on for 5 years or so and when we retired we moved here from NC in 2015. I continued to still hunt as well as dog hunt with her and joined the hunt club. Last year I had the opportunity to get 4 dogs of my own. They are Walker Beagle mix, and all female. I spent most of last year training and learning. Not sure who trained who😆! Now I have six and they are great! They are horn broke and more or less load themselves after a chase! I still have a lot to learn, and that’s why I wanted to join this forum. I appreciate you letting me in! Here is my first question, how often do I need to worm them?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New Guy

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:55 pm

I moved your post to the General Chat section as few people seem to go to the New Members section.
Welcome. :)
Let me know if I can ever do anything to help you in your use of the forum.

Sharon (mod)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:09 pm

New Guy:
Welcome.
Sharon is a reformed Beagler and so am I.
You should Probably Talk to your vet about worming. It kind of changes depending on your location. Worms are worse where you live than they are where I live, due the temperature difference.....Cj

Gowens50

Post by Gowens50 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks for the input! Most of the guys here worm them monthly if running them a lot! If not about every two months. I treat my dogs like kids, folks laugh at me, I know they are tools, but to me they are family! Even give them a dog treat after the race and they come to me like they are supposed too! Anyway, thanks for welcoming me!
Gary

Thirdy8special

Post by Thirdy8special » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:35 pm

asc

Post by asc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:13 am

Welcome, I dog hunt for deer also here in central fl.
The group I hunt with all run walkers.
It's like NASCAR with guns. :D
I have no deer dogs at the moment but I have 3 English pointers for birds.