Tail Set

RatDog

Tail Set

Post by RatDog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:35 am

The more I read and learn, books but especially stuff on here, the more considerations there are when picking dogs that I wasn’t aware of. How important is a 12 o’clock tail set? I read that the higher the tail the longer the pelvic drive muscles and therefore faster and more powerful the dog. My pup’s tail appears to me to be fairly high on his backside but certainly not a 12 o’clock. Is this typical for Brittanies? Anyone with more experience care to offer an assessment of where his tail is located (he’s the little guy)? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Tail Set

Post by cjhills » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:48 am

RatDog:
You are talking about 2 different things. A 12 o'clock tail is straight up generally on point but some dogs run with a high tail. Mostly it is about looks.
Tail set is where the tail comes out of the dogs croup.
The big dog has a low croup. His rear end has to elevate more to get his legs up under himself. This shortens his stride, uses more energy and does not look has smooth as a dog with a higher tailset.
Your puppy looks pretty good. He does appear to have a little roach in his topline. I like that. Dogs with a little roach get there legs under themselves easier and have a longer stride than dogs with really a straight topline. All other things being equal they will run smoother, faster and longer than a dog with very straight topline.
You seem to be stressing yourself a lot over the puppy. He appears to be a very nice little dog. No dog is perfect. He will serve your purpose very well so just enjoy what he is......Cj

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:21 am

Thanks. That clears things up. You’re right. I’m Just curious and I don’t have any frame of reference for what’s normal or not. I’m limited to looking at pictures online. Seems like people on here have looked at hundreds or maybe even thousands of dogs. I found a really cool looking pointing dog club that starts meeting in the spring. Looking forward to that as a resource and to see other puppies/dogs with a more informed eye and compare and contrast.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:59 am

12 O'Clock tail is extremely important if you're running FT Pointers or Setters. If you're not looking to compete in Field Trials, people that DO field trial will argue that it helps you find the dog in deep cover.

But you have a Brittany so the tail is a moot point.

CJHills is correct about a the tail set/croup.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:22 pm

A good dog is a good dog , no matter where the tail sits.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:11 am

I'll jump in hear because birds seasons closed hear and I'm bored, you will never see a 12 o'clock tail on a brittney they have no tail
the 12 o'clock tail is a nice sight on a dog like icing on a cake
but a dog can't point a bird with its tail the nose and brain is what a dog uses pointing birds
the nose for scenting the brain to learn how to handel birds to understand old scent from fresh scent when to point or not

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:55 am

JONOV wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:59 am
12 O'Clock tail is extremely important if you're running FT Pointers or Setters. If you're not looking to compete in Field Trials, people that DO field trial will argue that it helps you find the dog in deep cover.

But you have a Brittany so the tail is a moot point.

CJHills is correct about a the tail set/croup.
The way a dog carry's it's tail is so over blown. It is about nothing other than eye appeal! That straight tail that come's out of the butt and looks like a fire place poker it not even a little appealing to me. Same with that phony head crank. A dog with head crank doesn't accurately locate a bird! For me looking at a dog is not unlike looking at a woman. I like thin women with slight curve's. I think the tail should come out about 2 o'Clock and curve gently up to noon!

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Your little guy is nice and square of body which is something folks look for in a Brittany. That was something my BIL was very concerned with and he was a pretty serious Brittany breeder at one time.

There is tail set and there is tail carriage. Tail set is where the tail comes out of the back end, which as has been said, is important to the dog's gait, stride length and as a result... their endurance and longevity.

Tail carriage is how high the dog carries its tail and how high it points with it...so... pretty much irrelevant for a Brittany.

I am not a Brittany guy, but I've seen a few... and I like how yours is put together.

RayG

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:30 pm

birddogger2 wrote:Your little guy is nice and square of body which is something folks look for in a Brittany. That was something my BIL was very concerned with and he was a pretty serious Brittany breeder at one time.

There is tail set and there is tail carriage. Tail set is where the tail comes out of the back end, which as has been said, is important to the dog's gait, stride length and as a result... their endurance and longevity.

Tail carriage is how high the dog carries its tail and how high it points with it...so... pretty much irrelevant for a Brittany.

I am not a Brittany guy, but I've seen a few... and I like how yours is put together.

RayG
Thanks Ray! I appreciate the input.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:44 pm

Polmaise -

I recognize that Brittanys and pointers have very different conformation and very different gaits.

With pointers, a tail set that is too high out of the dog's back can and does influence the dog's gait, and usually not in a good way. I have seen it and seen the result in the diminished ability of the dog to compete with dogs that had better conformation.

It was and is my intent to convey the concept that things which interfere with the optimal gait for a particular breed of dog can and do affect both the ability of the dog to run and hunt for extended periods(endurance) and ultimately the useful life of the animal as a hunter(longevity).

Simply put a dog with a bad gait cannot perform at the same level as a dog with a good gait and an incorrect tail set(or other conformation flaws) can cause gait issues.

As to the rest..how about this??: Tail carriage(TO ME)....

RayG