Tri-Tronic Sport Basic G3 - Replacement Recommendations

leeave96

Tri-Tronic Sport Basic G3 - Replacement Recommendations

Post by leeave96 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:35 am

I have an old and completely worn out Tri-Tronic Sport Basic G3 collar/remote and it has given up the ghost - owes me nothing.

There are a dizzying array of new collars out there; Tri-Tronics is history. Can someone please help me pic a suitable replacement?

Grouse hunting in the western mountains of VA with a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon.

Any sage advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill

art hubbard

Re: Tri-Tronic Sport Basic G3 - Replacement Recommendations

Post by art hubbard » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 am

Dogtra e collars +1

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 pm

tri tronics isn't gone, garmin just relabled them. This is basically same as G2-G3. And the old g2's and g3's are still available and oftentimes you can change batteries and bring them back to life.

https://www.outdoordogsupply.com/produc ... cs-pro-70/

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:06 pm

+1 on getting the old unit checked out and repaired. Collar Clinic might be able to help you there.

FWIW i have a Tritronics Flyway Special that predates the G3 by about 10 years or more. It is still my go to unit.

I did pick up a Dogtra (I think??) model 1825. Anyway it has vibrate and beep funcions at the collar and I like it for training.

I do not own one and probably never will, since i also have a Garmin Astro GPS unit... but as a combination unit i think the Garmin 550 is right up there with what a hunter needs. You might look into it. It is basically a correction type e-collar unit with a GPS direction arrow display.

It seems simple to use and when i am hunting...i like simple.

RayG

leeave96

Post by leeave96 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a cyber Monday deal on a Garmin Tritronics Sport Pro. From what I read, it is very similar to what I had in the Sport Basic G3 - we’ll see. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll move up to the 550.

Thanks for the info on repair. I’ll probably send in my G3 and somewhere I’ve got a very old Tritronics collar with a cylindrical can looking remote with an antenna on top of it. Seems like it had a plastic carrying case. I don’t recall the model, but used it with a Llewellin Setter a long time ago and was a very good unit; perhaps I can get it going again too.

Thanks again!