Super Ted

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Super Ted

Post by polmaise » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:16 pm

It's not really a Brag ,so it doesn't belong in that section ,and It's not really Training ,and It's not really anything ,other than General chat ...
A journey of a Gundog. Many have not travelled as far ?
(But I am proud of him) (and he was Trained) (and He is doing well).
So many Journeys are posted on here of People and their progression with their dog or dogs .
"Ted" arrived with us ,as a pup from a friend a few years back ,like all pups their heads are full of Bumble Bee's and Broken Bottles ,and they Know nothing about an ACME 2-10 1/2 Whistle and they know nothing about training drills or training concepts or even Sit and they have certainly never heard or seen any dvd or book by well known people . You bet your bottom Dollar they ain't been on No forum for sure .
Ted , like my children and grandchildren learn stuff early on , that shapes what the end product is more likely to be (imo) ,and good foundations are a good start to anything .
Some illustrious and well versed folk on the sport were agasp when 'Ted' arrived at a shoot with me and a tennis ball when he was near 5 month old ,but he liked his tennis ball ,and he did know stop whistle and he had a reliable recall ,and most of all ...He had never seen or even been near running live game , but he knew how to Hold things and bring them to me.
Two years of nurture and experience in all situations he was likely to encounter as a Gundog followed ..Now Just think about that for a second or two ? (fences,cars,other dogs,doors,radios,..in fact everything that humans take for granted ) ..never mind complexities of game type and cover and all .
So , Circumstance of human and life ,Ted was Sold to pay the way . He headed of to 'Merica' ! ..Land of opportunity for a young dog .
I was asked "You sure these Brits are up to the stuff we do over here?" . ..You can Imagine my silence in reply.
After gaining FC status last year ,he is running in the Open Championships with his owner and handler this month in Kansas along with another 121 dogs in the competition .
If He doesn't win , then at least he has done himself proud (but he will think it is another day out) .

I am sure he still remembers our days which made him like his days .
Ted 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Super Ted

Post by polmaise » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:18 pm

step by step
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Best of luck

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:23 pm

National Open Championship Kansas.2019 .
Give the lad a cheer ..Win or lose. He made it where many that side of the pond have never been. "Over here" :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:38 pm

That is a great story Robert.. Let us know how he does at the open please.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:44 pm

I agree with Sharon on this one and look forward to following along on this pup's journey.
Good stuff !

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:34 am

I wish Ted and owner continued success. As I see this, it is a win-win. Just making it to the Nationals speaks volumes.
Genetics and bringing a pup along progressively are part-and-parcel of the field trial champion. This pup must have been started well and it would seem, continues to do well to this day!
Kudos to you Polly for your integral part in this delightful journey.
We look forward to hearing how things go.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:02 pm

He never made it passed the 2nd series today at Kansas.
Still he will always be in my Hall of fame and this painting from a picture by a friend will always hang on my wall from one of the many days we had in the shooting field together.
Great dog to have the pleasure of training for his first 2 years of life.
He doesn't know he is in 'Merica'.
ted 17.JPG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Ted 7.jpg

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:33 pm

polmaise wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:04 pm
Ted 7.jpg
I can't imagine a scarier look for any game bird than that!

Congrats and thanks for sharing~

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:40 pm

NEhomer wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:33 pm
polmaise wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:04 pm
Ted 7.jpg
I can't imagine a scarier look for any game bird than that!

Congrats and thanks for sharing~
Depends how close you want to see it ,if you are a game bird.
Ted 20.jpg

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm

polmaise wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:02 pm
Still he will always be in my Hall of fame and this painting from a picture by a friend will always hang on my wall from one of the many days we had in the shooting field together.
Even to be in the Championship says a lot about a dog, and its breeding and initial training. Thanks for the update. Great picture too. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Sharon wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm
polmaise wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:02 pm
Even to be in the Championship says a lot about a dog, and its breeding and initial training. Thanks for the update. Great picture too. :)
2nd Chance ?
Running in the Am -Championships in Illinois on Monday .
ted 19.png

asc

Post by asc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:50 pm

awesome!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Maybe next year ?
Such is life with Competitions and dogs .A little luck now and then helps.
I received this message from his new owners in the states which is always good to hear.
"Ted competed in the Open National. We’ve been working on his Open Champion title. In the first series he had a bird shot over a hill, it glided down and he came up short on the retrieve.
We were getting ready to go to the Amateur National and we noticed Ted had a fever. Had a CT done and found 2 abscesses in his flank. Had surgery Tuesday, drained the abscesses, still in the hospital but recovering nicely. We get to pick him up tomorrow. They did not find a seed, which is so common over here. He’s a great dog ! We are sure he will be competing next Spring. We love him !"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm sorry that happened. It's always something with dogs isn't it? :roll:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Sharon wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:12 pm
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm sorry that happened. It's always something with dogs isn't it? :roll:
Yup! ,let me save that one for future :wink: :lol: