There's a Point and Then There's a Point!

NEhomer

There's a Point and Then There's a Point!

Post by NEhomer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:49 pm

When I follow my Alpha 100 and find Whip's tail straight up on point, I read him. It's clear as a bell. If he makes the slightest move to look my way, the bird is either still some distance off, or was just there moments ago but it's not right there. When the bird is pinned 10ft away, not one hair moves. He is a granite statue; I couldn't get him to look my way.

...may I assume that others read their dogs in such fashion?

bonasa

Re: There's a Point and Then There's a Point!

Post by bonasa » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:44 am

For sure, although I tried to train for no let-down when the grouse boils out some distance off it is the same as a stop to flush, head movement and flagging. If the bird ran off tail is still stiff but 10 oclock and head movement my way. Woodcock he is generally head closer to the ground and a 12 oclock tail, grouse more of the classic high head and high tight tail but I miss the head crank from the last couple of dogs. When he was younger and pointed dead before breaking he would look like the woodcock point on grouse, woodcock and training birds, since FF years ago he gets retrieves now and even duck/goose hunts.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:33 am

Pretty similar.

My pointer will give me a sideways glance and her intensity is not the same on a bird that has moved out or is old scent.

I know that her head high, but very intense means it's a grouse and it's there. Head low with intensity usually is a woodcock. If she's all twisted in knots I know the bird is there but she hit it so quickly I don't know what kind of bird.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Yup...that's not unusual. Many canine veterans indicate whether they are pointing a grouse vs a woodcock by virtue of their style.
Here's a cool one I learned from a chat with a fine gent in KS. He mentioned he once had a savvy/experienced GSP. So-much-so that after years of shooting cocks only, his dog would flash point or slow down and then move on when encountering a hen and yet this dog SLAMMED cocks! That is SO cool, don't you think?!?

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:28 pm

Featherfinder wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm
Yup...that's not unusual. Many canine veterans indicate whether they are pointing a grouse vs a woodcock by virtue of their style.
Here's a cool one I learned from a chat with a fine gent in KS. He mentioned he once had a savvy/experienced GSP. So-much-so that after years of shooting cocks only, his dog would flash point or slow down and then move on when encountering a hen and yet this dog SLAMMED cocks! That is SO cool, don't you think?!?
Yes, that is remarkable. It's funny that it just occurs to me that I don't recall Whip's head up high on any Woodcock point but def some on pheasants. I'll keep a look out and see if there's a strong trend.

How about that point when it's pinned down 10ft ahead though? Nothin' like it!

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:07 pm

NEhomer…. Amen brother....nothing like it!!

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:03 am

I believe in 4 types of points.
1. The trance, dog is in the heat cone.
2. The quizzical. Bird is here but not under my nose.
3. The bird is distant. Usually some change in cover between dog and game. Dog is upright with head tilted back and gaze fixed on a area.
4. Wth point. There is game just pray it isnt another
Skunk.

DSemple

Post by DSemple » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:01 pm

Long time ago pointer/lab cross named Megan,

Pointing Rattlesnakes her whole front half would be crouched down on the ground trying to lean/get away from the snake. I would sneak up behind her and grab her by the tail and pull her away.

Don