English Setter Breeder

Peihunter

English Setter Breeder

Post by Peihunter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi all,

Help required....Am looking for a well bred english setter from a reputable breeder. Interested in a started female or a puppy. I am in Canada but willing to travel anywhere in the eastern us.

I am a lab guy but wanting to change gears to the upland world. I have done a bit of research and contacted one of the better breeders, long gone setters, which is where I will go but no litters until winter. My young boys tell me they want a dog asap so I said i would look around.

Any help or contact info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Glen

birddogger2

Re: English Setter Breeder

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:20 pm

PEIhunter -

You might want to check out the Coverdog site. A fair number of setters for sale on that site.

One that I saw:

Posted by Carl Bergen on August 5, 2019, 11:20 am

5 year old Northwoods Nirvana daughter for sale. Chestnut Tri Color broke to wind and shot!! Had in a couple of spring trials. Pups are coming and I have to make room. Been hunted over and she backs!! Berg Brothers Frankie is her momma. Nice dog and house broken!! Sleeping under my desk right now!!! Asking $3,000 and your crate and freight. 610-759-7491. I can email photos or come and watch her in a work out!!! bettersetters@yahoo.com

Now I have to say I know relatively little about setters but I do know Carl B. and he does not fool with anything but the best. I have seen his dogs in competition in years past and both he and his dogs always came to win.

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:59 pm

If I were looking for another dog, I'd talk to Scott at Berg Brothers Setters. That's in Minnesota but he ships (I picked my pup up at CLE, no problems at all) if that's possible for you.

Another guy I'd check out posts videos here as Skydance Kennels. You can check out some of his dogs on YouTube.

Dang it! Now I want to call them myself :lol:

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 am

Know what you will be hunting and pick out a dog bred accordingly. A competitive AA bred setter will require early appropriate training to make it a gun dog. Or, you can buy from cover dogs breeders - typically hunted on grouse/woodcock. Sounds like you want to hunt birds not dogs. A dog bred to be independent will have you WORKING every time you run it. OK with some. Absolute NIGHTMARES with most gun-doggers/bird hunters, especially one transitioning from Labs!
A word of caution: A horseback trialed reject is not going to come without either baggage or remedial training if it's going to be a gun dog. Be forewarned.
I wish you success!!

Peihunter

Post by Peihunter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. I am definitely looking for a close working dog for woodcock and grouse.

Glen

Wilber

Post by Wilber » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi Glen,

Just noticed your post. You might check out Twombly Setters. They're in Vermont and may be convenient for you. I don't have any personal knowledge of their dogs, but they look good and seem to be be bred for close work. You can check them out here: https://www.twomblysetters.com/

I have a Ryman/ Hemlock setter from Round River Setters in Iowa. My dog was slow to develop but now is a joy to hunt with. Very devoted, follows me from room to room, great with the kids, plays well with others. Once I got her on wild birds she picked up the game quickly and now lives for it.

Good luck with your search.

Wilber

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:58 am

Bill Moore at Tricky "bleep" Kennels in Selmer TN. I have had a couple of dogs from this bloodline and they are excellent dogs. Lots of field trial dogs. Walking. Nstra etc. Pic of my current 9 mo old. Tricky "bleep"'s Bama NickImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:40 am

Bam, I also bought a beatch from Tricky ___ kennels year ago. Back then, I was into horseback trials and she just didn't pan out for my palate. I sold her to a gent in W. Virginia. He asked me, "Why would you ever sell a dog like this? She is everything you could ask for!"
I bred her once to a super wonderful stud that I started but sent south to campaign on the Tracy string(some years ago). The result was THE most amazing dog I've ever owned and likely will ever own. We still miss Emma. :cry:
https://godinart.com/index.php/portfoli ... rait-2014/
I would throw my hat into looking at that kennel too.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:41 am

I would contact the McCandless family in KY. Some very nice pups on the ground. ashley.mccandless@ky.gov

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Featherfinder wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 am
Know what you will be hunting and pick out a dog bred accordingly. A competitive AA bred setter will require early appropriate training to make it a gun dog. Or, you can buy from cover dogs breeders - typically hunted on grouse/woodcock. Sounds like you want to hunt birds not dogs. A dog bred to be independent will have you WORKING every time you run it. OK with some. Absolute NIGHTMARES with most gun-doggers/bird hunters, especially one transitioning from Labs!
A word of caution: A horseback trialed reject is not going to come without either baggage or remedial training if it's going to be a gun dog. Be forewarned.
I wish you success!!
Just saw your Emma portrait in the link FF. She was SOME dog. Lady has just come down with incontinence when sleeping. Her days are numbered too. :(
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:10 am

So sorry to hear about Lady, Sharon. Father Time is a very cruel SOB!