GSP Lines

Golden1

GSP Lines

Post by Golden1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:47 pm

I was reading some forums lately and a lot of people seem to like hustler and/or slick (other dogs too, but those were seen a lot) for GSP’s. I was curious as to why people are still trying to line breed dogs who have been gone for a long time.

Also, are there any dogs currently, or recently that you believe we will look back on and try to line breed them?

I’m kind of ignorant when it comes to this so I hope I don’t offend anyone by asking these questions.

birddogger2

Re: GSP Lines

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:39 am

Golden-

I am a pointer person, so I cannot make meaningful comments on the relative virtues of individual GSP's that I have not seen.

However, in general, there are several reasons why folks may pursue a specific sire or dam line.

The most obvious and probably the most common reason would be that the person has seen for themselves or has read and heard from others that a certain dog has traits or talents that they find desirable in a dog and they seem to have an ability to pass on those desirable traits.
Genetics is far from an exact science, in terms of who inherits what... BUT... when breeding dogs, it becomes apparent that certain dogs(male or female) tend to pass on certain traits fairly strongly to a large fraction of their offspring. If the ancestor has that "prepotency" and they are traits that you value in a dog, you want that ancestor in your dog's pedigree, perhaps multiple times. On the other hand, if an ancestor possesses a trait that you DO NOT desire and appears to pass that on as well, you want your dog's pedigree to be void of that ancestor's influence.

Another reason would include "saleability". Many "famous" dogs are champions in their respective competitive arenas. If you are breeding with an eye to selling into that market, having famous champion dogs in your litter's pedigree will enhance both the possibility that one of your pups can be a "future" champion. Inclusion of champions, especially closer up in the pedigree, enhances the attractiveness of that litter to prospective buyers looking for competitive dogs making it easier to sell the pups and to an extent, justifying a price premium. Pups from a National Champion sire, command a premium price, in part because the champion's owner commands a premium price for stud service.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Lines

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 am

Golden1:
I am not a field trial person so I do not know a lot about how trialers are breeding these days; but it seems like big time linebreeding is dying out as breeders learn more about genetics.
HH was bred to over 100 females; So you can get about anything you want in a HH bred dog. HH will be a lot of generations back in most pedigrees. One interesting thing about HH is that the breeding that produced him was an accident. There Is some frozen semen around from closeup Breeding. probably second generation breedings. Maybe Sam St. Max. It is my opinion that todays dogs are far better than the Old lines. I would not go through the expense of a frozen semen from 30 years ago unless I was looking for a certain trait from way back. My original dogs were all HH bred. Some were Great, some not so good. Juicing them up with a little pointer blood helped both sides. The prepotent sire and Bluehen dam theory is mostly theory' genetics say it don't happen and I don't think it does either.
It has also been my experience that most dogs do not produce better than themselves unless they are outcrossed. They tend to regress to the mean.
Shadow Oaks Bo, Two time national champion Setter, bred with some pretty good females produced some winning puppies but not a many. You can buy a Bo puppy for practically nothing and English setters are rising in popularity. So do not expect breeding to a winning sire to do much for the price of your puppies...Cj